WHAT the HECK Happened to this site???

flamomo

With apologies for displaying my crass technocological ignorance........

is the "old" style "Default" or "Bug human 1.0" ?

Don't wanna experiment with the button in case I can't get back. :rolleyes:

JB :o

It looks like Bug Human 1.0 is the new format and 'default' gives the old, comfortable, format :D

(and at the moment it is changeable, by changing the 'skin')

Edited by VMax1700

So I finally changed over to the new format, to see what everyone was whining about...

NO!

Nononononono!!!

A thousand times no!!!

And for those talking about change being hard the older we get... I'm all of 43, and have been using computers since I was 6. And I love my tablet and smart phone. So I'm no spring chicken, but I'm also not some old dear longing for her rotary phone and wireless... ;)

It looks like Bug Human 1.0 is the new format and 'default' gives the old, comfortable, format :D

(and at the moment it is changeable, by changing the 'skin')

errrr, nope. :(

Not happening for me - whichever of those I choose & then click on "save changes" I'm stuck with the new format.

So it looks like I'll be learning the new format a lot sooner than the rest of you :rolleyes:

EDIT. Correction. Tried again, this time it worked. Now back in dinosaur mode.

But dammit - no emoticons. Grrrrrrrr

Doesn't help that each time I've opened up Cruise Critic since the change I now get a security alert "the name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site"

I've ignored the warning and clicked on "proceed anyway" and so far nothing's caught fire.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I wish they had left good enough alone. Yes, we can change it back - but l failed to see any improvement imposed, and have to wonder what they were trying to accomplish - other than wanting to be "new and improved".

...and oh by the way, thanks for the warning, CC! :rolleyes:

But at least for the time being we have the option between the two. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Personally, I cannot see why Cruise Critic would continue having the option of going back to the old format indefinitely. Cruise lines and many other companies change their websites all the time and their customers need to get used to it. IMO, it is the same with Cruise Critic.

At this point, I see the new format on my Kindles and the old format on my desktop. So, I spend half of my time getting used to the new format and the other half going back to the old format (because I'm lazy sometimes).

IMO, at least for me, I need to learn new technologies lest I become an "old fogie". It seems that the older one gets the less they embrace change.

Personally, I cannot see why Cruise Critic would continue having the option of going back to the old format indefinitely. Cruise lines and many other companies change their websites all the time and their customers need to get used to it. IMO, it is the same with Cruise Critic.

At this point, I see the new format on my Kindles and the old format on my desktop. So, I spend half of my time getting used to the new format and the other half going back to the old format (because I'm lazy sometimes).

IMO, at least for me, I need to learn new technologies lest I become an "old fogie". It seems that the older one gets the less they embrace change.

But to have change just for the sake of change makes no sense. Cruise Critic is changing their format - why? They say it still does all the same things, just arranged differently.

If there were some reason things had to change I'd say, OK, I'll go with it.

But, just to make things look different for the sake of saying "new and better" when it really isn't makes no sense.

But to have change just for the sake of change makes no sense. Cruise Critic is changing their format - why? They say it still does all the same things, just arranged differently.

If there were some reason things had to change I'd say, OK, I'll go with it.

But, just to make things look different for the sake of saying "new and better" when it really isn't makes no sense.

I agree with you. Aside from the format, CC probably intended to also improve certain functions. Maybe, they should give us a lead on that so we can be motivated to adapt to the "change".

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I wish they had left good enough alone. Yes, we can change it back - but l failed to see any improvement imposed, and have to wonder what they were trying to accomplish - other than wanting to be "new and improved".

See all that beautiful white space on the right? Soon will be cluttered with ads. Next step will be some format where you have to click a "next" button to find another comment, all the while weaving between more ads in different placements. It's always a matter of money. Makes me sad about CC.

I found out this morning on another board how to change the screen back to "the old one", Thank goodness!! The new format is much too bright and glaring for this "Old Dear" with cataracts that are not ripened enough to be removed yet. And I fear I would quickly wear out the wheel on my mouse because so much more scrolling is required now that everything is so spread out. LOL!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't let "them" take the option away to choose the format we prefer .... ever.

See all that beautiful white space on the right? Soon will be cluttered with ads. Next step will be some format where you have to click a "next" button to find another comment, all the while weaving between more ads in different placements. It's always a matter of money. Makes me sad about CC.

I think you have nailed it: ad revenue is what drives virtually everything on "free" sites like this. There was no way the movers and shakers were going to indefinitely provide a no-cost access once they figured out a way to squeeze more juice -- out of what may start looking a bit more like a lemon.

I think you have nailed it: ad revenue is what drives virtually everything on "free" sites like this. There was no way the movers and shakers were going to indefinitely provide a no-cost access once they figured out a way to squeeze more juice -- out of what may start looking a bit more like a lemon.

...and that part of the "new" format is annoying IMO.

Maybe that is why RCI's site is forever full of bugs and quirks and sometimes it just plain doesn't work.;)

I found out this morning on another board how to change the screen back to "the old one", Thank goodness!! The new format is much too bright and glaring for this "Old Dear" with cataracts that are not ripened enough to be removed yet. And I fear I would quickly wear out the wheel on my mouse because so much more scrolling is required now that everything is so spread out. LOL!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't let "them" take the option away to choose the format we prefer .... ever.

Use the new( go to last post ) arrow to cut back scrolling.

Thanks to the ones that posted how to change the default. I'm still not able to get the old site on my mobile phone. I don't necessary mind the new site but the AD is WAY TO BIG on mobile! When in landscape it takes up 1/3 of my screen!

I haven't seen the new format yet, but I'd be willing to be that it's due to a combination of more ad revenue and being more mobile friendly. Google set a deadline in April 2015 to make web sites mobile friendly. On that date, Google made being mobile friendly a bigger part of their search algorithm such that if your site didn't comply, you won't appear as high up in Google search results. That's a killer for many businesses and with Google being such a large gorilla, forced many web sites to change. I've just now sorta gotten used to ESPN's new web site format due to this change. Although it's coming up on 2 years after that deadline, that could be driving this CC change. I'm just guessing though.

OK...figured I should change to the new skin so that I would at least have SOME experience with what I'm talking about (not that that has ever been a requirement here :)). Although different, I don't mind the new format. I think I was able to find all of the features that I normally use, and some lesser used features might even be a little bit easier to find.

I like the smaller signature area...should make the page load a little faster and makes it easier to scroll. People who put a lot of info in their signature may not like that. I was worried that with the right hand column dedicated to lots of other stuff, pictures may not work as well. However, it appears that pictures are shrunk to fit in the column with the posts. That might prevent having extra large pictures causing everyone to scroll left/right to read a thread.

I'll need to play with it a bit on my phone and iPad to see how it looks there. Net, I'll stay with the default skin but believe that I could adapt to the new skin if needed,

Maybe that is why RCI's site is forever full of bugs and quirks and sometimes it just plain doesn't work.;)

Yes - it takes a while to get the bugs out:) I'm wondering how long it will be until CC turns off the option to go to the old format? I'm guessing that the old format will disappear shortly after the new format is working on all computers, laptops, tablets and phones.