Celebrity Cruises Launches Interactive In-Cabin Wine Tasting

LauraS

Check out the latest Celebrity Cruises news from Cruise Critic:

Celebrity Cruises Launches Interactive In-Cabin Wine Tasting

Wow I am very interested in this - thank you for the information. The article is a little ambiguous however.

It states that 4 half bottle are included in the price. Later in the article it states that the bottles are 187ml.

A half bottle is actually 375ml.

If the bottles are true half bottles then this price in my opinion is reasonable.

I would be very interested to confirm which it is. Does anyone know?

Thanks again,

Lisa

Wow I am very interested in this - thank you for the information. The article is a little ambiguous however.

It states that 4 half bottle are included in the price. Later in the article it states that the bottles are 187ml.

A half bottle is actually 375ml.

If the bottles are true half bottles then this price in my opinion is reasonable.

I would be very interested to confirm which it is. Does anyone know?

Thanks again,

Lisa

Agree clarification is needed on bottle size. My fear is that given Celebrity's very high mark up on wines that it will be the 187ml.

I have not seen half half bottles before?

If by half bottles you mean 375ml, they are on the wine lists on board.

IMO 187ml is a single glass pour which I have never seen as well.

187 ml bottles not that rare.

Celebrity has sold them in the Oceanview from a cart at both lunch and dinner. As I recall, they were YellowTail 187 ml bottles.

But as to the concept, thanks but I would rather be interacting with folks drinking water than spending $55 to sit in my cabin and watch a video and drink wine.

187 ml bottles not that rare.

Celebrity has sold them in the Oceanview from a cart at both lunch and dinner. As I recall, they were YellowTail 187 ml bottles.

But as to the concept, thanks but I would rather be interacting with folks drinking water than spending $55 to sit in my cabin and watch a video and drink wine.

I agree! If I am drinking wine in my cabin it's generally on the balcony and I certainly can't see the TV from there (nor do I care to!):confused:

If by half bottles you mean 375ml, they are on the wine lists on board.

IMO 187ml is a single glass pour which I have never seen as well.

187 ml are quite common - for instance on airlines, those who serve/sell wine in bottles typically use that size. One and a half, or one big, glass of wine.

187 ml are quite common - for instance on airlines, those who serve/sell wine in bottles typically use that size. One and a half, or one big, glass of wine.

Oh, yes, I'm familiar with 187ml on airplanes and trains. I had just never seen them on Celebrity before.

Thank you for posting the info. Now for my crabby reaction. Is there anything Celebrity won't do to make more $$ and try to get people to spend beyond their drink packages?!?! I can't imagine doing this, but to each their own. If I want to drink in my cabin and don't have a drink package I will bring on a couple bottles of wine. And one last comment while I am apparently in a mood - does anyone else find it interesting when the article talks about coming onboard and finding such a huge selection of wine? Yes, if you want to pay exorbitant prices I guess there are a few special options. But on the premium beverage package - limited at the very best. Done being negative - first world problems I know:)

Oh I'd so much prefer to share the experience with other people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree completely. The attraction of tasting rooms at wineries is the ability to have a chat with other oenophiles whilst enjoying possible new favorites. I really can't see the attraction sitting in a cabin alone "tasting" wines in dinky bottles with only a TV set instead of a sommelier to discuss the origins and characteristics of the wine I'm tasting.

This doesn't sound like anything I'd want to do. I've paid for wine tastings before, that were held in Cellar Masters with a dozen wines to try. Pay even more to sit in my room and watch an impersonal video and drink wine out of a box? I think someone at Celebrity is being paid way to much to come up with ideas like this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I agree completely. The attraction of tasting rooms at wineries is the ability to have a chat with other oenophiles whilst enjoying possible new favorites. I really can't see the attraction sitting in a cabin alone "tasting" wines in dinky bottles with only a TV set instead of a sommelier to discuss the origins and characteristics of the wine I'm tasting.

While we totally agree with you, Walt, there are quite a few on cruises who see things differently. We know cruisers who prefer to spend most of their time along in their cabin, dine at 2 tops (so as to not have to deal with others) and avoid most social activities. For this type of person, an interactive lonely wine tasting might be a big hit. They can sit (along) in their cabins, do their wine tasting, spend lots of time on the internet, and avoid the masses. Sounds a bit sad...but each to their own.

For us, one of the best cruise line wine tasting experiences is the Around the World (it used to be called that) Wine Tasting on Celebrity. This is much different then the free wine tasting (for frequent cruisers) where they only pour cheap wines. The Around the World Tasting used to be $25 per person and was held at Cellar Masters (and outside in the Atrium) where they had 5 or 6 tasting stations (with 2 wines at each station). Folks would take their glass from station to station and drink all they wanted (there was a time limit). Most would cluster in Cellar Masters and chat about the various wines....as they tasted and filled out their tasting form. Lots of fun.

Hank

Great idea. DW and I have watched The Wine Show on Hulu and enjoyed it very much. We will be two who would do it if it rolls out on the Summit by September for our NE cruise. Of course, for us it's any excuse to drink wine, but to actually taste the wine they are describing sounds terrific to these two wine geeks. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps they'll throw in a packet of salted peanuts for the $55 :o ;p?

Maybe if you have a nice suite.... but I would hate to commit 55 minutes of my time on a cruise, inside my cabin, sitting on the bed watching a video and drinking baby bottles of wine.

I'd rather take that $59 and buy some nice wine in Cellermasters or wherever.

While we totally agree with you, Walt, there are quite a few on cruises who see things differently. We know cruisers who prefer to spend most of their time along in their cabin, dine at 2 tops (so as to not have to deal with others) and avoid most social activities. For this type of person, an interactive lonely wine tasting might be a big hit. They can sit (along) in their cabins, do their wine tasting, spend lots of time on the internet, and avoid the masses. Sounds a bit sad...but each to their own.

For us, one of the best cruise line wine tasting experiences is the Around the World (it used to be called that) Wine Tasting on Celebrity. This is much different then the free wine tasting (for frequent cruisers) where they only pour cheap wines. The Around the World Tasting used to be $25 per person and was held at Cellar Masters (and outside in the Atrium) where they had 5 or 6 tasting stations (with 2 wines at each station). Folks would take their glass from station to station and drink all they wanted (there was a time limit). Most would cluster in Cellar Masters and chat about the various wines....as they tasted and filled out their tasting form. Lots of fun.

Hank

The round the world tasting sounds great!