Wearing a lanyard, yes or no? GO!

amyhphoto

Always. I don't like carrying extra bags when I am walking around the ship. I often wear a bathing suit and coverup or shorts with no pockets during the day. In the evening, I don't like carrying a purse on the ship. I always attach the card directly to the lanyard clip. If there's no hole in the card, guest services will punch one.

I never did until my last cruise. I went with a cast on my arm (broke my elbow) and only had one hand and arm. It was great. I had a "necklace" around my neck and the front desk punched a hole in my card. It was so much easier to have it there and available for use. Use to wonder why people had them around their neck, now I know!!!

For those that don't, what do you do when you're in the pool, or don't you go in the pool? I don't carry my phone around on board so I don't have any use for a purse, except at dinner time when I like to bring my lipstick :). I do bring a small bag for sunscreen when we're at the pool but I don't like leaving a card in there. I don't really like wearing a lanyard either but I have not found an equally handy alternative yet.

For those that don't, what do you do when you're in the pool, or don't you go in the pool? I don't carry my phone around on board so I don't have any use for a purse, except at dinner time when I like to bring my lipstick :). I do bring a small bag for sunscreen when we're at the pool but I don't like leaving a card in there. I don't really like wearing a lanyard either but I have not found an equally handy alternative yet.

I know responses are different for females but I am a guy... I have pockets in my swimtrunks. I keep my S&S card in my pocket.

No.. no lanyard for me I am a guy and have pockets, if my wife doesn't I carry her card also. If we go in the pool just stick our cards in the book I am reading. Never lost a card yet, do not mind that other people use a lanyard just have never found the need

On the ship, yes, It's convenient for me.. I don't like to carry a purse around (except at dinner). Off the ship no because I have a cross over purse or back pack. As to whether it's tacky or not....this really doesn't matter to me. You're on vacation, do what works for you.

Same here. Lanyard is much more convenient for me on the ship.

Mine are Star Wars prints. :hearteyes:

Wore one for one specific cruise that involved getting in and out of zodiacs. It was good for that.

The pro is it keeps it very handy but other then that we just keep it in our pocket inside the folder provided by the cruise line.

Keith

ID cards on lanyards were required during our careers. Now that we are retired, never again!

Lanyards are like ties. Been there. Done that. Never Again! (except for weddings and funerals, I might wear a lanyard.;))

NO WAY!!! Maybe because I have to wear one at work, as well as a horrible badge that says #hello my name is..... (that's okay at work, until you forget you have it on and people say "Hi Suzanne" in the store!

Some ladies have nice ones with rhinestones on, and they are great for them. Maybe in another 10 or 20 years I will be seen rocking that "look"

Yes if you want to. No if you don't. It doesn't matter to me what others choose to do. We don't wear lanyards because we have pockets. My mother-in-law wore one because she did not have pockets in all her pants and she did not want to carry a purse with her. At the time, she was used to wearing a lanyard at her senior apartment. (Since then, however, she's switched to attaching her lanyard to her walker--something she did not use at the time we took her on the cruise.)

For those that don't, what do you do when you're in the pool, or don't you go in the pool?

I do the same thing I would do if I used a lanyard - leave it on my lounge chair with my shirt, shoes and towel and anything else I have with me. Are you suggesting that people who use lanyards should wear them in the pools? :confused:

Before I retired I had to carry an ID badge on a lanyard. Everyone at work called them "Geek Badges", especially when someone forgot to take it off when going out to lunch. No way am I going to wear one now, especially when I am on vacation! They get in the way more than they help. Having a cruise card hanging from a lanyard around the neck allows it to come into contact with all sorts of things, including rubbing against dirty furniture, being caught on door handles, dangled into unsanitary public bathroom sinks, and then in the food on your plate - YUCK!

Edited by SantaFeFan

I have an aversion to wearing anything around my neck - not even a necklace - so no, I don't wear a lanyard. During the day I wear shorts with pockets and at night I either have slacks with pockets or carry a small purse. If I go to the pool, I wear my shorts and leave the card in the pocket. But really, I don't care what anyone else does.

I don't like things hanging around my neck that get in the way when I lean over, so I use a retractable ID badge reel that I clip to the waistband of my shorts (if they don't have pockets) and my ship card is always available. When we go into port, I slip the card into the pocket or stick it into my cross-body bag.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

we have been on 7 cruises and have now used lanyards on 6 of them. We saw the convenience of others using them on first trip and have remembered them from the 2nd trip forward. As mentioned earlier the staff have hole punchers and will punch hole quickly and even the ship sells the lanyards if you don't have one. I wear a lot of clothes without pockets and I don't take my purse or phone/case around with me on the ship. For us it is great convenience but if you don't like it, don't do it.

No lanyard for me....hated wearing one at work and prefer not wear one now. I carry a very small purse that looks much nicer and doesn't bother me at all. When I'm in the pool, I leave the purse hidden in my towel on the chair and have never had a problem. I always think those wearing a lanyard are on a tour as that is the only time I've been required to wear one. Even then I don't all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums