I was declined boarding and now I found I was right and the cruise company was wrong

princess C,is bad

OP - Thank you for posting this. It's a good reminder for people that they are responsible for their immigration when on a cruise.

The cruise line, regardless of which one, gets to decide who they'll let onboard and who they won't. It really doesn't matter what the country you're visiting says. It matters what Princess (or any cruise line) says. For example, most countries do not require your passport to be valid for more than 3 months past the last date of travel, but many cruiselines require your passport to be valid 6 months beyond your final travel date.

It is not true that ships can't stop passengers without visa from getting off - cruise cards can be flagged to stop you when leaving the ship.

A few years ago Dubai had a visa requirement for Canadians. We had the choice of not paying and staying on the ship or paying and being allowed to go ashore.

The problem is most countries consider you in the country once in their water and you need the visa whether getting off the ship or not as you are considered in the country, but this is up to each country.

That's because Dubai is an entrance visa that can be purchased upon arrival for nationals of certain countries.

Many places will not let you just purchase it when you get there.

Again that's why I am interested in what passport this person holds.

This maybe not be a problem for so many of you , but it is the principle that matters.

I was declined boarding the Caribbean Princess in Southampton, England because I didn't have a Visa for Ireland. I asked if I can stay on board during the stop in Ireland and I was declined that too. I am not an American citizen yet but all my family is. That was the worst day for all of us.

We were told by princess cruises staff that there was nothing to be done, so I kissed them goodbye , paid a hefty penalty for the Airline and a hotel in London to go home.

After the harsh and devastating situation, I sent an inquiry to the Irish Immigration Visa services in Dublin and the answer was(I didn't need a Visa if I would stayed on board) :o. I contacted Princess cruise post-cruise services, I was giving 3 reasons turned to be incorrect. I asked to talk to a different person or a supervisor I was told only one person will handle the complain and I can't talk to anybody else!

Please please tell me what to do? This is been very hard on all of us. :loudcry:

Welcome to CC.

I think you will have to chalk this one up to not being prepared and assuming that your situation would be like that of your families.

I'm very confused - we sailed (using a US Passport) on the Caribbean Princess out of Southampton last August; our itinerary included Dublin, Cork, and Belfast as well as many other ports in Europe, Norway, Iceland, and the US. We needed no visa for any port or to board the ship. Has something changed in the last year that we need to know about for our next trip?

No reason to be confused there is no comparison to your experience and that of the OP as he/she is not a US citizen.

It is not true that ships can't stop passengers without visa from getting off - cruise cards can be flagged to stop you when leaving the ship.

A few years ago Dubai had a visa requirement for Canadians. We had the choice of not paying and staying on the ship or paying and being allowed to go ashore.

The problem is most countries consider you in the country once in their water and you need the visa whether getting off the ship or not as you are considered in the country, but this is up to each country.

I've been on several cruises where people have managed to get off the ship without having their ship's card swiped. When there's a long line, big crowd departing, it happens. And it's often not discovered until the person returns and swipes his/her card to reboard.

I've been on several cruises where people have managed to get off the ship without having their ship's card swiped. When there's a long line, big crowd departing, it happens. And it's often not discovered until the person returns and swipes his/her card to reboard.

And, sometimes, not even then.

Anyway, cruise lines routinely deny boarding to passengers who don't have the proper dox, and passengers can't circumvent the requirements by saying they'll stay on the ship.

The OP is wrong, not Princess.

Regarding promising to not get off the ship in a port, once the ship is in port, local laws and regulations apply whether you stay on the ship or disembark. The ship cannot knowingly allow a passenger to avoid or break a law.

No matter what any Princess rep says, the passenger bears the responsibility for making sure they have all of the necessary visas and documentation.

Doesn't matter whether it's Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, etc. They all have to obey all local laws and regulations.

There always seems to be the ones who blame others, when it's their own responsibility. It would be nice if Princess made a financial gesture, but they certainly don't have to.

That's because Dubai is an entrance visa that can be purchased upon arrival for nationals of certain countries.

Many places will not let you just purchase it when you get there.

Again that's why I am interested in what passport this person holds.

True. They still haven't said as yet, have they.

I'm very confused - we sailed (using a US Passport) on the Caribbean Princess out of Southampton last August; our itinerary included Dublin, Cork, and Belfast as well as many other ports in Europe, Norway, Iceland, and the US. We needed no visa for any port or to board the ship. Has something changed in the last year that we need to know about for our next trip?

Kartgv - The poster who started this thread is not an American citizen and does not have a U.S. passport.

It does not appear that anything has changed for holders of U.S. Passports, such as yourself.

I had a UK visa , It was suppose to be all I need.

A UK visa allows you to enter the United Kingdom. Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland. It is an independent country and not part of the UK although it shares a border with Northern Ireland which is part of the UK.

For some reason I don't think they will answer it, since I asked the first time the OP has been on here and didn't respond to it but to other threads lol Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree....the passport that the person is traveling under will help determine what are the visa agreements with that country and others.....each one is different....:cool:

The last thing after I got the reply from the Irishimmigration that I didn’t need the visa if I stayed on board, I was told I needed the visa in case of medical emergency.

I wish Princess cruises will be forthcoming , they domake doubt everything now

Actually that is an entirely true statement from Princess. If you had a medical emergency that required you to be disembarked in Ireland (it happens, I know as it happen to my Dad one time) then you would need the visa. If you didn't have the visa then, in that case, Princess would be in trouble for letting you on the cruise without the proper documents because they had Ireland as a planned stop. No matter how you try to rationalize your position you simply didn't follow through on what was your responsibility. Unfortunately you missed your cruise because of that.

In generally a cruise line will not let a passenger board if they do not legal access to each of the countries that will be visited during the cruise. Now some countries allow Visa's to be obtained at time of entry. So the passenger does not have to obtain those in advance.

So what Princess did was correct and normal procedure, not only for them, but for other cruise lines as well.

You might want to contact Jim Walker and ask how to proceed. He specializes in Cruise issues.

Jim Walker is a bottom feeding ambulance chasing lawyer who's only goal is to fill his pockets with other people's money by talking venerable people into filing dubious lawsuits against the cruise industry. A quick scan of his website will clearly expose his bias against the industry. I wouldn't go to him for the time of day, much less go to him to represent me in a dispute with a cruise line. I would never be able to wash off his stink if I relied on him for anything.

It is lawyers like him that give attorneys a bad name.

For some reason I don't think they will answer it, since I asked the first time the OP has been on here and didn't respond to it but to other threads lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It may be due to the way it was asked!, OP has gone through a bad time and regardless of what passport the OP had, it was denied and OP knows next time to check carefully. At the end I still feel sorry for the OP, mistakes happen. Hope OP gets on another cruise very soon.

It may be due to the way it was asked!, OP has gone through a bad time and regardless of what passport the OP had, it was denied and OP knows next time to check carefully. At the end I still feel sorry for the OP, mistakes happen. Hope OP gets on another cruise very soon.

I suspect it is more likely that the OP still does not want to acknowledge that Princess did not do anything wrong and the fault lay with him. If and when he tells us where his passport is from, knowledgeable CCers will point out the relevant spots that show he needed a Visa and the last leg of his argument will tumble.

What are you suggesting that the OP do - sue the cruise line.

DON

Many of the posters have stated their opinion of the cruise line contract. I was suggesting that the OP might want to get a real legal opinion. If you want a legal opinion, you go to someone who knows the legal area you are questioning....and even an ambulance chaser, as someone labeled him, will not take a case that will waste their time.

If you all are right, I'm sure any lawyer will tell the OP...if not, well maybe that's another path to resolving the disagreement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kind of like: One can not travel on a cruise that stops in Canada, if they have a DUII in the past, even if they stay on the ship. (Yes, I know there is a way to get rehabilitation)

One doesn't have to go through the process of being declared "rehabilitated" but it must be at least 10 years since they have finished all fines and probation. I think it's strange that a country that sent about a bazillion gallons of booze into the US during Prohibition has this rule but it is THEIR country and they get to make the rules. I have been told a lot of folks are denied border crossing each year due to this restriction. As others have said, it is incumbent on the traveler to research the rules and regulations of any country they wish to visit. Don't blame the immigration folks.

You had a USA passport. The OP did not.