I've tried cruising twice and don't think I like it

MelAMes

I've been cruising for about 20 years and have been on 5 lines and an signed up for a 6th. I go about once a year or so. We've had issues: lost then found luggage, a staff member being too friendly, sickness, and once someone else had taken over our room. I get really seasick and have to work with it. I've also had the most incredible experiences, been to amazing places, and get treated like royalty for a few days. We take any oopses with a good attitude and record it to laugh about later. I haven't been on Princess, but I can't imagine what could have happened that wasn't on the evening news to make both your cruises so awful. It might have been your reaction to what happened instead of what actually happened.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you complain on the broccoli growers discussion forum? Too bad your problem wasn't with cauliflower, I bet they would have listen to your issues with all their ears. :')

You may be thinking of the corn growers forum.

I spend my Sundays perusing CC posts and this one made me laugh the most this morning. (Tho the Irish visa one also had me in stitches). We took two couples on their first cruise on the Emerald last March. One couple loved everything about it. The husband of the other got sick on board the second day which turned into bronchitis and then, when he got home, pneumonia. I don't think he will ever cruise again!

It is NOT for everyone. Nor is every cruise nor every line for everyone. We like Princess for its price, its itineraries, its food and its service. And The Sanctuary. When we need to add another plastic ship on a stick to our collection, we head to Carnival and play trivia:).

Now we want a European cruise experience so have booked our first MSC cruise. And, because, lapping at the edges of luxury and wanting an old-fashioned cruise experience is seductive, we have booked a Queen Victoria interior for a trans-pacific cruise.

Chacun a son gout. Chacun a son gout! (forgive the lack of circumflexes and accents. Don't flame me!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines. The first was to Mexico in 2010 and the second was to Alaska a couple months ago. After the first, I said I'd rather not do it again, but so many people convinced me to give it another shot. Unfortunately the Alaska cruise was the worst travel experience I've ever had. The customer service was UNBELIEVABLY BAD! I had such a traumatizing experience, all I could think about upon disembarking was contacting Princess Customer Relations. I thought for sure they would be appalled and send me an apology letter or something. But after 6 attempts, they are still ignoring me. If I were to behave this way in my own business, I'd surely be fired. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Excellent wind-up. You got 50+ replies in no time!

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines. The first was to Mexico in 2010 and the second was to Alaska a couple months ago. After the first, I said I'd rather not do it again, but so many people convinced me to give it another shot. Unfortunately the Alaska cruise was the worst travel experience I've ever had. The customer service was UNBELIEVABLY BAD! I had such a traumatizing experience, all I could think about upon disembarking was contacting Princess Customer Relations. I thought for sure they would be appalled and send me an apology letter or something. But after 6 attempts, they are still ignoring me. If I were to behave this way in my own business, I'd surely be fired. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

We usually see this with one hit phonies that love to stir the pot! You get lots of responses from "defenders of the line" which you would expect. Most pax on the Princess forum seem to really support the line. There are a few pax who have issues. You read between the lines & it's issues they caused themselves. Go to the guy who didn't properly have his affairs in order & was denied boarding to Ireland. Totally his fault.

• 3 months later...

Princess cruise there’s your problem. Royal Caribbean!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually ... yes. My Alaska cruise on NCL was HORRIBLE. I still LOVE cruising and my most recent cruise, May 2017, to Cuba was AMAZING. Much of the bad experience in Alaska was NCL customer service, and much of the bad experience was due to the NCL excursions.

If you list out your complaints, I bet a bunch of them are due to you not understanding how cruising works. We can tell you if your complaints are reasonable or naivete. If you're not satisfied in the end, don't cruise. It's not for everyone and that's okay. ;)

Conversely:

A bunch of my recent and reasonable complaints are due to understanding fully and completely how Princess worked over my previous 60 plus cruises on Princess

- and now it isn't working like that any more. And no one cares!

If I don't book that cruise someone else will, that's the Princess attitude.

We have found that cruising is usually for people who like to consume food and consume destinations. Cruisers like to take their culture with them and are not really into experiencing another country's culture usually for more then a day. It certainly is not for everyone. :cool:

We have found that cruising is usually for people who like to consume food and consume destinations. Cruisers like to take their culture with them and are not really into experiencing another country's culture usually for more then a day. It certainly is not for everyone. :cool:

Wow...that is so far off from the truth. We like to cruise occasionally, because we can lay back, enjoy the sun, pool, beaches, a few interesting venues on land and on the sea. I have traveled via plane, train, and automobile to most corners of the earth. To generalize that cruisers are a bunch of people that want to consume food and destinations without being part of the culture is one heck of a generalization. Use that mind of yours often? :rolleyes:

Well Mel/OP, you seem to have had probably an unusual experience and I'm sorry you did. However, if cruising isn't for you (not that I've been on more than two myself) then it's not. It doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone and I'm sure you have other hobbies and distractions you can partake in to enjoy your life. Personally, my next cruise will be in, I dunno, 5 years? Honestly I can take it or leave it myself, there's plenty of fish in the living-life ocean! :-)

if you don't like it go camping or something move on.

The original poster never got back on here, so one must assume that was not a real nor truthful post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bingo!

I've been following this thread....cannot believe that so many take the OP at face value.

IMO....total fraud to play on everyone who wants to convince him how wrong he is.

Another one post wonder.

My guess is that the OP made his post to air his feelings about cruising and after seeing everyone attack him asking for more details in hopes of changing his mind he decided to check out. Three months after the fact, IMHO the OP is long gone from this conversation.

Wow...that is so far off from the truth. We like to cruise occasionally, because we can lay back, enjoy the sun, pool, beaches, a few interesting venues on land and on the sea. I have traveled via plane, train, and automobile to most corners of the earth. To generalize that cruisers are a bunch of people that want to consume food and destinations without being part of the culture is one heck of a generalization. Use that mind of yours often? :rolleyes:

Lot's of our family and friends who do not like cruising, we do, have used the expression that "cruising is for people who were just wed, like to be fed or are almost dead."