I've tried cruising twice and don't think I like it

MelAMes

We're just finishing up 7+weeks of travel in a tiny teardrop trailer. We have about 8,500 miles or so and most of it was camping with a motel night here and there. I do the cooking (outdoors) and my wife does the dishes. Many people would consider that a version of hell. We have enjoyed it. We will get home tomorrow and then on October 8 we will embark for a 28 day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti, Pago Pago, Bora Bora, etc. Some people would consider that a version of hell.

Cruising (or camping) are definitely not for everyone. We are weirdos who like both. ;p

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines. The first was to Mexico in 2010 and the second was to Alaska a couple months ago. After the first, I said I'd rather not do it again, but so many people convinced me to give it another shot. Unfortunately the Alaska cruise was the worst travel experience I've ever had. The customer service was UNBELIEVABLY BAD! I had such a traumatizing experience, all I could think about upon disembarking was contacting Princess Customer Relations. I thought for sure they would be appalled and send me an apology letter or something. But after 6 attempts, they are still ignoring me. If I were to behave this way in my own business, I'd surely be fired. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

What is the point of making a post like this? If you are not prepared to state what the problems how can you expect any sort of answer.

I know a few people who don't like it.

That's fine we are all different.

But I'm not sure a cruise or two with one or two lines means you'd hate other lines, there is a lot of variety out there.

I was lucky loved my first cruise, if it had been with one or two of the lines I tried later I may well never have been back.

I know a few people who don't like it.

That's fine we are all different.

But I'm not sure a cruise or two with one or two lines means you'd hate other lines, there is a lot of variety out there.

I was lucky loved my first cruise, if it had been with one or two of the lines I tried later I may well never have been back.

Agreed! Luckily we tried Princess first. For us it's a good match but I know others that love RCI more - I loved the ship (Rhapsody of the Seas) but didn't like the overall RCI experience.

It's a pity the OP hasn't specified what s/he didn't like, that way we might be able to suggest more suitable alternatives.

Agreed! Luckily we tried Princess first. For us it's a good match but I know others that love RCI more - I loved the ship (Rhapsody of the Seas) but didn't like the overall RCI experience.

It's a pity the OP hasn't specified what s/he didn't like, that way we might be able to suggest more suitable alternatives.

We actually haven't tried RCCL yet.

First few were on Pacific Princess and fell in love.

Tried a few since, the only one that really came close was Celebrity (in fact in a few areas they were probably better) but had our first cruises been on P&O, or even Emerald Princess, may have saved me a fair bit of money.

Yes, Celebrity and Princess are very similar. Some things Celebrity does better (like the cabins, especially the bathrooms) but other things are nicer on Princess. We've chosen to use Celebrity for our regular NZ cruises - we're trying to do one every two years to keep in touch with friends and family there. However since Celebrity disappears during our winter we tend to mostly cruise on Princess.

Yes, Celebrity and Princess are very similar. Some things Celebrity does better (like the cabins, especially the bathrooms) but other things are nicer on Princess. We've chosen to use Celebrity for our regular NZ cruises - we're trying to do one every two years to keep in touch with friends and family there. However since Celebrity disappears during our winter we tend to mostly cruise on Princess.

We've only done one with Celebrity to date, second in October we hope. They could, for us, jump Princess as our first choice if they charged Aus$. But I agree more difference between two Princess ships than Princess and Celebrity sometimes.

We've done over 30 cruises over the years, the last one in February 2017. We love cruising but sometimes I feel cruised out. My husband is not going on the family Disney cruise (he would hate it) so the next one we have together is February 2018.

Since OP hasn't returned to give us a little more info on this cruise, I'm assuming this is a "one and done" and we'll never know how we were supposed to respond to their post. Maybe just venting and enjoying the drama.

Traumatizing? Seriously? Which ship were you on, the Titanic or Andrea Doria? Why would you come here to tell us that your cruise was traumatizing without telling us what caused the trauma?

If you were on the ship with the death at the hands of her husband and were close to that situation, yes that would be tramatizing.

Certainly for the family involved. And perhaps for the people in the adjacent cabins. For the other passengers there was no trauma. Just delay, inconvenience, itinerary scrambling and a probable sense of sadness. Either way, the incident was such an outlier that no one could judge the entire cruise industry by that cruise. I was on a cruise where a man died (I assume from a heart attack). I was sad. Our port departure that day was delayed. I was not traumatized.

I tried broccoli twice and still don't like it.

Did you complain on the broccoli growers discussion forum? Too bad your problem wasn't with cauliflower, I bet they would have listen to your issues with all their ears. :')

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines. The first was to Mexico in 2010 and the second was to Alaska a couple months ago. After the first, I said I'd rather not do it again, but so many people convinced me to give it another shot. Unfortunately the Alaska cruise was the worst travel experience I've ever had. The customer service was UNBELIEVABLY BAD! I had such a traumatizing experience, all I could think about upon disembarking was contacting Princess Customer Relations. I thought for sure they would be appalled and send me an apology letter or something. But after 6 attempts, they are still ignoring me. If I were to behave this way in my own business, I'd surely be fired. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Sounds like I would be very happy for you to stay ashore. Don't need your drama. Sorry that you had a bad time but I'm not convinced it was the fault of the cruise line.

It's hard to tell if the OP has a legitimate complaint without specifics. A co-worker of mine said he hated the one cruise he had been on. His main complaint was being bored on sea days. But then one of his friends talked him into taking a cruise with her family. He loved it because he got to spend time with her and her kids.

What specifically was so terrible? I've had really good times on cruises while overhearing other people complaining about how awful everything was. People like different stuff and that is good so that we all don't end up crowding each other out of the same place.

I usually don't like sea days. I get bored quickly. Other people love them.

I myself must wonder when the rhetoric includes "UNBELIEVABLY BAD" without explanation and "traumatizing experience" without elaboration.

You echo my thoughts. I'm always willing to give posters the benefit of the doubt, whether it is their first post or their 10,000th post. OP's hyperbole...:rolleyes:

That being said, OP, cruising is not for everyone. The problem is that your post focuses on customer service and nothing about the cruise itself. You can have poor customer service anywhere. If the service on Princess was truly terrible, then perhaps another cruise line would be more to your liking. That is the reason there are so many different lines to choose from--everyone likes something different.

With regard to cruising that is universal across all lines, what did you not like? Did you not like being onboard for extended periods on the water? Did the movement of the ship bother you? Was the stateroom you were in too small? Was it too crowded? Was the time in ports too short? These are the things that are specific to cruising which you should consider before ruling out cruising all together. Discounting cruising because the service was poor on your last cruise is like saying you'll never eat out again because the waiter was rude at the last restaurant you went to.

If you truly didn't like cruising for some or all of the reasons above, there is no harm in that. Not everyone loves the idea of being in the middle of the ocean with no land around, or they are really prone to seasickness, or they don't like the regimented schedule which is inherent in cruising, etc. There is nothing wrong with feeling this way and you are not alone. I do think you were rather naive to come to CC to find people who don't like to cruise.

I guess MelAMes didn't get the sympathy here they were expecting. Doubt we will hear from them again. ;p

"I had such a traumatizing experience, all I could think about upon disembarking was contacting Princess Customer Relations. I thought for sure they would be appalled and send me an apology letter or something. "

(perhaps the or something they wanted was $$$)(what do you want Princess to say, "Sorry you had a lousy time on your cruise. Here is your money back.") :rolleyes:

Doubtful they were on the Emerald, I can't believe they would expect an apology for a murder.

But if you were so traumatized, why would you wait until you got off the ship to contact Princess?? Why not do it while you are on board?

So do not cruise. There are lots of people who do not want to ever cruise. There are lots of people who have cruised once and decided that they hated it. There are lots of people who have done cruises and then gotten tired of the same destinations that cruise companies offer.

You can live a full and enjoyable life and never cruise.

DON