Tips for buffet staff?

Fern Crest

That would be a personal option and certainly one that would be appreciated, but as most of the buffet staff is also the same as the dinner staff in the MDR on rotation in the buffet, they would be participating in the gratuities already. The "pooled" nature of the recommended gratuities assures a portion to all servers in the inclusive venues. And a portion of the specialty restaurants fee is gratuity for those servers. But anything extra you choose to leave - regardless of venue - as mentioned, would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever left a dollar or two on/under their tray during the lunch hours? I typically do, seeing the staff work really hard to try and stay ahead of the carnage, and nearly always with a smile.

Just curious.

That would depend on the cruise line. On DCL, the buffet servers/table clearing people are the dinner servers for breakfast & lunch. Their tips are covered in the gratuities you're already paying. At dinner, there's no buffet on DCL. It's a sit-down table service and the servers are trainees.

ALL the waiters are covered by your daily tips. No additional is needed.

Not on all cruiselines.

Has anyone ever left a dollar or two on/under their tray during the lunch hours? I typically do, seeing the staff work really hard to try and stay ahead of the carnage, and nearly always with a smile.

Just curious.

If someone in the buffet has gone out of their way for me, such as clearing a table for me to sit at, or carrying a dish of food for me, etc then I make a point of getting their name and telling them I am going to fill out a comment card praising them by name. They are very appreciative of that since it goes in their file and helps towards promotion and/or rewards. I make sure I follow through.

As you see from the responses some people will do this particularly if they have been given exceptional service.

It's certainly nice to do but not expected.

Keith

Posts must have been edited. Ever poster said daily service fee covers buffet servers and is sufficient. One poster said he'd tip if server really went out if his way, but that hasn't happened after 700 sailing days.

Posts must have been edited. Ever poster said daily service fee covers buffet servers and is sufficient. One poster said he'd tip if server really went out if his way, but that hasn't happened after 700 sailing days.

We ('only' 200 sailing days) have one case where we did tip extra realizing full well that it wasn't expected (we never remove pre-paid gratuities) but would be appreciated.

We seldom even eat in the buffet but on one cruise we were traveling with my brother and sister-in-law who preferred to eat dinner there at least every other night. The first night we met a young (I think it was his first contract), wonderful, personable waiter who seemed quite excited that we ordered a bottle of wine and were taking our time eating and enjoying dinner (getting a salad course first, returning for a main course and then for dessert, etc.). The next time we walked into the buffet he saw us coming, located a table for 4, and stood by for the wine order, asked about our day (and seemed truly interested), etc. He continued to do this everytime we ate in the buffet. At the end of the cruise we filled out comment cards praising his personality and work ethic and slipped a tip into the envelop for him. He was very surprised and gave us all big hugs since very few ever leave a tip and even fewer take the time to complete a comment card which would help him move up to an MDR waiter position.

Any cruise line that goes against the standard practice of the industry for the market they serve, and doesn't make it clear that they are doing so prominently in the written materials they provide to passengers, are making a de facto decision about how their staff is to be treated. For example, given that standard practice is to include the buffet servers in the hotel service charge/tip pool, any cruise line does doesn't and doesn't state prominently in materials they provide to passengers that (additional) gratuities are expected, is effectively programming their service such that those employees shall not get gratuities (except in the case of extraordinary service). In other words, one rule of thumb which cruise passengers can and should rely on is that when there is a prevailing practice that it is not their responsibility to research and determine whether the cruise line they're using operates in some other manner. Rather, it is the cruise line's responsibility to inform them.

Edited by bUU

Just curious.

Totally up to the guest, we've done it from time to time.

I have read a few posts that sound like some people are going about with pockets full of dollar bill every day, tipping a few at the buffet, some at the bar with every drink, and possibly some other occasions. One of the big draws of cruising for me is that it is meant to be "cashless". I'm happy to recognise and reward outstanding service, but going around with money handy all the time takes some of the advantage out of cruising for me. I like the prepaid tips as they are, and don't want to dole out extra every day.

Just curious.

the daily gratuity you are charged covers the buffet staff and unless they are going way out of their way to assist me, I do not feel the need to leave any extra. by that I mean, finding me an empty table and staking it out until I can limp my way over, fetching me drinks and refills, etc.

I have read a few posts that sound like some people are going about with pockets full of dollar bill every day, tipping a few at the buffet, some at the bar with every drink, and possibly some other occasions. One of the big draws of cruising for me is that it is meant to be "cashless".
I agree. I climb on board, put my lanyard around my neck, and put my wallet away in the safe. Cruises may not be all-inclusive but they are meant to be cashless. Otherwise, I would rather put every bar charge and restaurant charge and purchase from the shops directly on my credit cards, so I can get the various protections my credit card affords. The cashless arrangement is a give and take with both passenger and cruise ship getting something from it.

In many places within the USA, tipping of servers in any restaurant is slowly going away.

As wages are being mandate by government to rise to never before seen levels, causing restaurant tabs to rise, some restaurants have actually posted "No Tipping Allowed" signage. Often there is automatic surcharge added to the bill

That meal of $100.00 plus a 20% tip, will now cost you $130.00 before tip and it is very possible that the waiter/waitress is making $15.00-$20.00 per hour before the any additional tips.

This is not pervasive yet, but it is a movement that is spreading in many metropolitan areas.

It is the same on the cruise ship, the tip is already being charged when you booked your trip, buy a drink or a bottle of wine.......

I have read a few posts that sound like some people are going about with pockets full of dollar bill every day, tipping a few at the buffet, some at the bar with every drink, and possibly some other occasions. One of the big draws of cruising for me is that it is meant to be "cashless". I'm happy to recognise and reward outstanding service, but going around with money handy all the time takes some of the advantage out of cruising for me. I like the prepaid tips as they are, and don't want to dole out extra every day.

Yup!

I save single dollar bill's all year in an envelope just for tipping on cruise's .

In many places within the USA, tipping of servers in any restaurant is slowly going away.

As wages are being mandate by government to rise to never before seen levels, causing restaurant tabs to rise, some restaurants have actually posted "No Tipping Allowed" signage. Often there is automatic surcharge added to the bill

That meal of $100.00 plus a 20% tip, will now cost you $130.00 before tip and it is very possible that the waiter/waitress is making $15.00-$20.00 per hour before the any additional tips.

This is not pervasive yet, but it is a movement that is spreading in many metropolitan areas.

It is the same on the cruise ship, the tip is already being charged when you booked your trip, buy a drink or a bottle of wine.......

Not "many". I live in the SF Bay Area, an area that enthusiastically supports giving people living wages, and such restaurants are very few and far between. I have yet to find one. I would venture a guess that much less than 1% have moved to this model. And that would be only as a marketing play. Tipping will be around for many years. And the automatic surcharge you speak of is for larger groups of people, not for singles or couples. I doubt either will become "pervasive" in my lifetime.

Instead of making a blanket statement with "many places in the US", would you provide concrete examples where servers are making $15-$20/hr? I have server friends making $5/hr before tips who would LOVE to move to a place where they can make base $20/hr and not have to live in a 1bedroom apartment with 5 close friends. Those wage increases mandated by government are meant to raise up wages to a living wage. But, some don't want fellow Americans to make a living wage and want them to remain in the "working poor" class. Personally, I will pay $.50 more for my veggie burger if it gives another person the chance to afford their own apartment, decent food, and the ability send their children to school well-fed, dressed well, and with school supplies.

There are restaurants that automatically add a gratuity to a bill when it is a group of 6 or more. Groups historically tip far less than the even suggested standards. Some in the group will put in 20%, where some cheapskates will put in nothing. Serving a group is more difficult than servicing a couple. And the server who gets the group frequently gets far less for more work. As for the automatic tip, if you object to it, don't go out of the US - automatic gratuity is there in other countries, too.

And, I want the calculator where a 20% tip on $100 is $30 ;)

At the buffet, if a staff member does something nice for me, I have given a small gratuity. Sure, they get part of that DSC, but being in the service industry, I do understand where a little personal "thank you" goes a long way to help you get over all the nasty people you had to deal with that day.

What restaurants in Minnesota? I was just there and none of the restaurants I went to stopped any tipping. Also, haven't been to a restaurant in Arizona that doesn't have tipping.

Also, a few years back Joe's Crab Shack did a test in their restaurants and rasied the salaries and stopped tipping. In all but a couple of their restaurants, it did not fare well. The customer's didn't like it nor did the servers, so they went back to the old way.

Totally up to the guest, we've done it from time to time.

It is a buffet and nobody has an assigned server. Also, your server may not be the person who cleans up your table and takes the money. How do you know that the person who did the good work actually gets the money? Have you thought about that?

DON