re meat pies

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That is a serious looking pie Julie. I haven't really seen an "egg" pie (AKA quiche) with a top crust. Lynn wants to know how to do the egg filling in a pie with a top crust.

I do an eggs Benedict pie, thin sliced ham, crack an egg or two, hollandaise sauce, pastry top, yummy.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I do an eggs Benedict pie, thin sliced ham, crack an egg or two, hollandaise sauce, pastry top, yummy.

So the eggs go under the crust raw? And the hollandaise stands up to the heat to bake the pastry without breaking? Hmm fascinating.

24 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That is a serious looking pie Julie. I haven't really seen an "egg" pie (AKA quiche) with a top crust. Lynn wants to know how to do the egg filling in a pie with a top crust.

Firstly it's not a quiche. It's not made with an egg custard like quiche is, just beaten eggs. Some people like to leave the eggs unbeaten, so you get sections of egg white with the yolks interspersed but I prefer it this way. As well as bacon, lightly precooked, it has onion plus red and green capsicum, also precooked. 

Puff pastry bottom, some of the egg mix, then bacon and veges, then the rest of the egg mix. Topped with puff pastry. Bake at 220C / 200C fan for 40 minutes.

I used ten eggs but kept a bit of the yolk from one of them to glaze the top.

My pie dish is a recent purchase from Williams Sonoma and is bigger than standard Aussie pie dishes so standard pastry sheets are a bit too small for the base. I stick two together then roll it out to fit. I used Careme pastry (an upmarket Aussie brand) for the top.

Here's a photo of a section on it after it was cut.

20210102_140254.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Julie, we would leave out the capsicum. Nothing against capsicum but they have a definite dislike for both of us. I would probably put in some mushrooms instead.

Mushrooms would work well but cook them off a bit first as they can release a lot of liquid which would make the filling soggy and affect how the top pastry rises. And I don't need to warn you not to use tomato. You can use ham instead of bacon, of course.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Firstly it's not a quiche. It's not made with an egg custard like quiche is, just beaten eggs. Some people like to leave the eggs unbeaten, so you get sections of egg white with the yolks interspersed but I prefer it this way. As well as bacon, lightly precooked, it has onion plus red and green capsicum, also precooked. 

Puff pastry bottom, some of the egg mix, then bacon and veges, then the rest of the egg mix. Topped with puff pastry. Bake at 220C / 200C fan for 40 minutes.

I used ten eggs but kept a bit of the yolk from one of them to glaze the top.

My pie dish is a recent purchase from Williams Sonoma and is bigger than standard Aussie pie dishes so standard pastry sheets are a bit too small for the base. I stick two together then roll it out to fit. I used Careme pastry (an upmarket Aussie brand) for the top.

Here's a photo of a section on it after it was cut.

20210102_140254.jpg

That’s how Mrs Gut likes hers too, I prefer the whole egg method, for mine.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

So the eggs go under the crust raw? And the hollandaise stands up to the heat to bake the pastry without breaking? Hmm fascinating.

I do mine in a pie maker, so much easier and quicker than the oven, I partially blind bake my pastry, then one it with ham, at the moment left over Christmas ham still, crack an egg Or two on top, hollandaise (comes out fine) then pastry top.

for Mrs Gut pastry egg mix. (Similar to what Julie describes) cheese, with or without pastry on top, if without some extra grated cheese on top.

If I don’t want to make hollandaise for mine. Just add cheese instead.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I've never had a bacon and egg pie, but the pastry looks delicious.  Is the bacon and egg mixed up?

Yes, it mixes itself up quite well but to be sure I always put some egg in first, then spread the bacon and veges around, then add the rest of the egg. As you can see by the cut section it ended up being fairly evenly distributed.

Careme pastry is awesome but expensive, which is why I only use it for the top.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I call what Julie made an egg and bacon pie and make it just about the same  but occasionally use whole eggs. It was a Sunday night favourite whehn I was growing up.

Leigh

I've only just started making them again. I used to make them years ago but got out of the habit. I actually prefer them cold than hot, but we usually have the first slices hot out the oven. They were great to take on picnics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've only just started making them again. I used to make them years ago but got out of the habit. I actually prefer them cold than hot, but we usually have the first slices hot out the oven. They were great to take on picnics.

I have taken slices on picnics too Julie. I don't mind them either hot or cold. I had a quiche Lorraine for lunch today  - made by Temptation Bakeries which is local to me and sold at Woolies, not sure about Coles. They are frozen but I have visited the bakery's shop and bought their pies and quiches sometimes. There for a while the bakery provided the muffins on Qantas flights.

Leigh 

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

I have taken slices on picnics too Julie. I don't mind them either hot or cold. I had a quiche Lorraine for lunch today  - made by Temptation Bakeries which is local to me and sold at Woolies, not sure about Coles. They are frozen but I have visited the bakery's shop and bought their pies and quiches sometimes. There for a while the bakery provided the muffins on Qantas flights.

Leigh 

Temptation bakeries do a good pork pie too, available at Woollies, sometimes I am tempted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

so are these pork pies made with minced pork or chunky pork?

Well Lyle, depends on the maker, sort of chunky mince in jelly I suppose. Don't you have them in Canada. Eaten cold, very English.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Well Lyle, depends on the maker, sort of chunky mince in jelly I suppose. Don't you have them in Canada. Eaten cold, very English.

th.jpg

We do have them Les. Melton Mowbray pies, you can get them at many places. As you say very English as opposed to the very French Canadian Tourtiere which are also easy to get from coast to coast

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Temptation bakeries do a good pork pie too, available at Woollies, sometimes I am tempted.

I don't like pork pies, but their other products aren't too bad though. Should you be tempted though Les? Gluten free? At the shop attached to their factory, a couple of suburbs from us, they usually have some bargain buys in packs.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I don't like pork pies, but their other products aren't too bad though. Should you be tempted though Les? Gluten free? At the shop attached to their factory, a couple of suburbs from us, they usually have some bargain buys in packs.

Leigh

I don't eat them post Coeliac days Leigh, would make me crook, all about the flour, wheat is a no, no. I did pre 2010 when coeliac hit me. Last time I was in UK, in 2018, I discovered gluten free pork pies, pastry made with rice flour at Marks and Spencers food hall. And on return flight via HK where we had a week, I also found the gf pork pies in M&S HK.  That is why on this meat pie thread I often put up pics of gf pies I have tried, for the benefit of others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We do have them Les. Melton Mowbray pies, you can get them at many places. As you say very English as opposed to the very French Canadian Tourtiere which are also easy to get from coast to coast

I have been to Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire where the pies were supposed to have been invented, they have ye olde Melton Mowbray pork pie shoppe. A national food in UK are the pork pies, all sizes.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I have been to Melton Mowbray where the pies were supposed to have been invented, they have ye olde Melton Mowbray pork pie shoppe. A national food in UK are the pork pies, all sizes.

They are a very rich thing I have felt that anything larger than 75mm would probably set my tummy off

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

They are a very rich thing I have felt that anything larger than 75mm would probably set my tummy off

You need some Baxters Tomato chutney with it Lyle  and a couple of pickled onions. Really give your gut a workout.

bax.jpg.4c6562c38309f282c4d550a741baab4d.jpg

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, MelbTone said:

I love pork pies: pre heart attack I probably ate 100+ a year. Now they're a Christmas special.

I was the same pre 2010, ate a couple of porkie pies a week plus a couple of meat pies a week, I was a pieaholic.