re meat pies

50 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

It’s been raining so hard I can’t even walk to the bakery to buy a pie for lunch.

Life is hard.

And I don't have any in the freezer! Although I do have a single frozen quiche. Raining very steadily here.

Leigh

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

According to this data collection Australia's favourite takeaway is Chinese. No pies ranked anywhere in the world 😝:

The world's favourite take out

It does seem a little unbelievable that the favourite take away in China is Chinese.

Pizza in India also seems odd.

Edited by Docker123

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

According to this data collection Australia's favourite takeaway is Chinese. No pies ranked anywhere in the world 😝:

The world's favourite take out

I think the data is flawed, pies have to rank somewhere.

We tried an interesting new heat and eat product today...more on the different thread.

On the subject of pies we really had a bit of a pie week last week. First we had tourtierre, then what my English Grandparents called "Shepherds pie" made with ground beef not lamb or mutton, then the left over tourtierre followed by steak and mushroom for me and chicken for Lynn. I'm not sure why but that was a lot of pie for this Canadian couple in one week.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Pizza in India also seems odd.

I would have thought it was weird too but last year I saw doco about fast food chains in developing countries and they said Pizza Hut is the fastest growing chain in India. They showed the opening of one store and the lines were out the door 😳. However if I was in India I would not eat Pizza Hut as one of their food development guys explained how they made it cheaper than local Indian food and to cut a long story short it was a far cry from what I would consider pizza and to be honest did not sound like something humans should be eating 😜

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think the data is flawed, pies have to rank somewhere.

We tried an interesting new heat and eat product today...more on the different thread.

On the subject of pies we really had a bit of a pie week last week. First we had tourtierre, then what my English Grandparents called "Shepherds pie" made with ground beef not lamb or mutton, then the left over tourtierre followed by steak and mushroom for me and chicken for Lynn. I'm not sure why but that was a lot of pie for this Canadian couple in one week.

Keep that up and we might get pies on the list 😉👍

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

Keep that up and we might get pies on the list 😉👍

I'm not sure if it rates as "Take out". I think of Take out as hot food ready to eat when you buy it.

The shepherds pie I made, and the others were heat and eat from the supermarket.

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure if it rates as "Take out". I think of Take out as hot food ready to eat when you buy it.

Which is what most pies are here. You go to the bakery, or pie stall, or even the local gas station, get a hot pie in a paper bag with a sachet of sauce and eat it straight from the bag. If you're being posh, or taking a break from driving, you might eat it off plate, with a knife and fork, at a table in the pie shop.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I would not class a pie as take away food. It's more like a snack on the run, much like a hot dog or sandwich.

It's certainly more than a snack for me. Lunch would be one pie or pasty, or one sandwich. So for me they are takeaway meals. I can understand for some people they would be snacks bit not for others.

Leigh

One other point....

The data is what people are searching for.......

It is like saying I am going to buy a Rolls Royce because I searched for one.......

If we are having TA   we go and get it yourself and we know where we are going .... it was Chinese until they closed... then it was pizza... decided to make my own adn the shop closed.... and now the TA as such we get is Fish and Chips.....

So point is the data is flawed.....   

Top TA   would be one of Macca's, KFC, burger places etc

or local Milkbar for a pie and sauce ( opps living in the past )

Cheers Don..... 

with no TA as on Diet so not to be a santa look a like

Exactly.

Mostly we get fish and chips and there is no need to search online for that.

If we want pies for lunch we stop at the bakery so no need to search online again.

However if we want Asian food we do look up the menus online to decide what we want before one of us goes to get it. So a survey based on online searches would falsely show our preferred takeaway was Asian food.

To me take away is a “meal” fish and chips, Chinese. Burger and chips, whatever, whereas a pie is a pie. Most take away shops sell a multitude of options, a pie shop may have dozens (maybe even hundreds now days) of flavour pies and even greater variety of cakes, but they are still pies and cakes.

Our history with Chinese TA... found a great shop

local as well  were regulars for many years....

then the owners retired ( block were shop was knocked down )

tried a few in the area not up to scratch... then found one... then there was a fire in the building upstairs, closed and never reopened.... found one down the coast ( used on holidays )

great for many years  until owners sold    new owners can't cook Chinese ( it was the worst we ever tasted )

So basically Chinese TA is off the able of us...

Don 

Regular Chinese is one of my least favourite Asian cuisines although one restaurant that opened up a few years back does "modern" Chinese which is really, really nice. We have a good Malaysian restaurant too which, of course, has some roots in Chinese cuisine.

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Which is what most pies are here. You go to the bakery, or pie stall, or even the local gas station, get a hot pie in a paper bag with a sachet of sauce and eat it straight from the bag. If you're being posh, or taking a break from driving, you might eat it off plate, with a knife and fork, at a table in the pie shop.

I wish we had such a thing here Julie, there are a few places with "pot pies" on the menu but no pie shops. Meat pies are fairly easy to find here but they are pretty much always heat and eat. We are looking forward to sampling the offerings from some pie shops when we are down under next year (yes I know that may be overly optimistic but a fella has to dream).

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I noticed Canada is waving the flag on behalf of the Empire. Fish & chips!

Fish and chips are a wonderful thing and almost all of them here make some reference to English or British fish and chips. Funny thing we had Fish & Chips at a cafe in Portsmouth and what a disappointment that was, we decided to give it another try at a chippy just down the street from our B&B in Portsmouth and that was a very nice meal, I don't think it was any better than any number of places here though.

Edited by Blackduck59
missing words

Some of the fish and chip meals we had in the UK were very disappointing. Watery fish giving soggy batter and flabby chips. 

The best we found, thanks to the Lonely Planet, was Chippie Doon the Lane in Glasgow. Great deep fried haggis bites too, although "bite" was the wrong word for them, they were huge.

Plenty of fish and chip shops here a plenty too Lyle. Probably less than there once were. They do way more than fish and chips, most do hamburgers too now. Most are take away with the fish, chips etc wrapped in paper.

I will be interested to hear your views on out tucker after you get here.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Plenty of fish and chip shops here a plenty too Lyle. Probably less than there once were. They do way more than fish and chips, most do hamburgers too now. Most are take away with the fish, chips etc wrapped in paper.

I will be interested to hear your views on out tucker after you get here.

We really are looking forward to the trip, hopefully things settle down and we can make it. And also hopefully we can meet a few of you in person...Assuming your are in Oz and not travelling to somewhere else, like Canada.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Fish and chips are a wonderful thing and almost all of them here make some reference to English or British fish and chips. Funny thing we had Fish & Chips at a cafe in Portsmouth and what a disappointment that was, we decided to give it another try at a chippy just down the street from our B&B in Portsmouth and that was a very nice meal, I don't think it was any better than any number of places here though.

I had a similar experience visiting .a popular fishing town in Cornwall in 1997. The fish and chippery had a queue out the door so we thought it must be alright. We were disappointed. The chips were very ordinary and the battered bit of cod was dripping oil. Have had better in English pubs.

• Like 1