re meat pies

Putting a bit of beer on the onions keeps them moist as well as giving a bit of flavour.  Not VB though - worst beer in Australia, sorry second worst, worst is that rubbish from Qld, Fourex Gold.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Putting a bit of beer on the onions keeps them moist as well as giving a bit of flavour.  Not VB though - worst beer in Australia, sorry second worst, worst is that rubbish from Qld, Fourex Gold.

I guess you have never tried the South Australian stalwarts: West End, Southwark.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I thought that honour belonged to Fosters.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

I guess you have never tried the South Australian stalwarts: West End, Southwark.

I certainly have tried them many years ago Adrian, marginally better than vb imo. Over the years but not recently I have tried most beers in OZ.   Even the big Darwin Stubby -NT Draught quarts...ice bucket job.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

39 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I thought that honour belonged to Fosters.

No mate Fosters Lager is better than VB.  Carlton Draught is even better. All depends on one's palate I never liked a beer too bitter as VB was.

Edited by NSWP

29 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Cannot get Fosters in Australia, can you?.

You can Mic, Dan Murphys and BWS have it, seen it there. As for Fosters on draught, maybe not the old bowling clubs used to have it.  It has been made under licence in several countries, inc UK and Canada for many years. The poms like it, perhaps that is why we sent it there, lol. Years ago on the ships I recollect drinking the big oil cans of fossies, ice bucket job.

foster-s-oil-can-lager.jpg

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I remember going to a drive in bottle store on the Gold Coast

and being asked if we wanted the beer hot or cold . Do they still do that?

(cold was extra )

Yes, off the shelf or out of the fridge. Never knew the charged for the chilled version though, rogues.  Would not happen in NSW David, we are gentlemen down here.

I used to like your Steinlager and Monteiths Black or Dark Ale.

Edited by NSWP

from a google search on the history of Fosters.......

Fosters Lager was a very popular beer produced by the Australian Brewer, Carlton and United and was considered as their "premium" beer. By the 1970's, Fosters was Australia's most popular beer and was being launched in the world. Per Fosters - It's Australian for beer, mate! Or is it:

In 1971 Foster’s was introduced to England through Barry Humphries’ highly successful ocker film called The Adventures of Barry McKenzie. Bazza almost spent the entire film with a Foster’s in his hand. In 1981 some Foster’s yeast was flown to England and Foster’s Draught began to be brewed over there. Foster’s Draught was a modified version of Foster’s Lager, modified to make it more appealing to the English palate. Sales grew exponentially. Locally canned Foster’s Lager was first sold in England in 1984. 

main-qimg-f0023fdf6c859edb61c601a5034bc387-c

Foster’s phenomenal growth had been aided by the fair dinkum Paul Hogan (who later went on to make it big as Crocodile Dundee).

main-qimg-f96bf4c6477504458ecc77d1b2280edf-c

On 1 April 1985 it was announced that the Melbourne Cup would henceforth be known as the Foster’s Melbourne Cup. The running of the race is celebrated all around Australia.. Foster’s was the official beer of the Adelaide Grand Prix, now the Melbourne Grand Prix.

main-qimg-0109fb8084285f8b0ce4e5744a54bac1-c

But, despite all of these iconic associations with Australia, Fosters was essentially no longer really an Australian beer. Per Wikipedia:

Foster's Lager is owned by the British headquartered brewing group SABMiller, and is brewed under licence in a number of countries, including the UK, where the European rights to the brand are owned by Heineken International.

From around 2000, Fosters has not been actively marketed in Australia, possibly because of the Britification of the once loved Aussie beer to suit the tastes of the U.K. Market. It has been displaced in Australia by other premium Carlton and United brands such as Carlton Croen

10 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

VB sausages may have to wait.

$20kg 

One of the things that can be a "thing" is a way to keep the snags warm for a big gathering (whenever those are allowed again) You put a pan with beer on one side of the grill and as your snags are ready you put the in the snag hot tub until there is enough ready for the crowd and you can leave them in there after they are all cooked so everyone can help themselves and the host doesn't have to man the grill.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I used to like your Steinlager and Monteiths Black or Dark Ale.

Steinlager is the NZ equivalent of Fosters, only drunk by tourists.

Monteiths Black is a very nice drop though, and also works well in a Carbonades Flamandes type of beef stew (the Flemish version of beef in Guiness).

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

You can Mic, Dan Murphys and BWS have it, seen it there. As for Fosters on draught, maybe not the old bowling clubs used to have it.  It has been made under licence in several countries, inc UK and Canada for many years. The poms like it, perhaps that is why we sent it there, lol. Years ago on the ships I recollect drinking the big oil cans of fossies, ice bucket job.

foster-s-oil-can-lager.jpg

Says it is imported, must be English.

Why on earth would they do that? must be for the tourists to buy.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

One of the things that can be a "thing" is a way to keep the snags warm for a big gathering (whenever those are allowed again) You put a pan with beer on one side of the grill and as your snags are ready you put the in the snag hot tub until there is enough ready for the crowd and you can leave them in there after they are all cooked so everyone can help themselves and the host doesn't have to man the grill.

Sounds more like a frankfurt for a hotdog rather than a sausage sanga.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Sounds more like a frankfurt for a hotdog rather than a sausage sanga.

I actually was quoting an advertisement from a well known American sausage company Johnsonville.

We can get them here and they really are quite good, a great selection of breakfast sausages and "Bratwurst". You put the snags in the beer bath after they are grilled. The premise was that there was a large crowd and you could pre-grill some of the snags and keep them warm while trying to feed the large crowd in a reasonable time frame, lest they get restless.

I actually was quoting an advertisement from a well known American sausage company Johnsonville.

We can get them here and they really are quite good, a great selection of breakfast sausages and "Bratwurst". You put the snags in the beer bath after they are grilled. The premise was that there was a large crowd and you could pre-grill some of the snags and keep them warm while trying to feed the large crowd in a reasonable time frame, lest they get restless.

Sounds gross Lyle, the snags would be stewed, no crispy bits. I had Primo Franks for lunch, I left them simmering too long, ended up deconstructed, so a knife and fork job. I prefer the bratwurst or Coles posh dogs.

1792273746_th(1).jpg.f67b12f672842acf391d6b8502126e45.jpg

I suppose it would work with any type of sausage, but I prefer them fresh off he grill. 

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose it would work with any type of sausage, but I prefer them fresh off he grill. 

And crispy. Temp only 28 here, forecast was 34, nice easterly breeze. I think A t bone steak and a cumberland snag for dinner, but no beer on them, bbq sauce and a bottle of Barefoot merlot.

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

38 up here.

It got to 30/31 at our place. We're just a tad too far inland to get the sea breezes but are tucked in a small bush valley so usually a couple of degrees cooler than other parts of Lane Cove.