re meat pies

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Off to the Royal on Friday, haven’t been for a few years, used to be able to get a great pie near the Wood chop, they were done in a wood fired oven, will report back if they still do them and how they measure up.

Garlos probably has the pie monopoly at the Easter show these days, or perhaps Villis.

1734713787_th(1).jpg.0f8719994b61b2a1b647b34c912b4994.jpg3649819.jpg.2b580569db5cd3472e1a8245dd575d98.jpg

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Oh yeah, that is good, plenty of that in my life. If you are in UK and you go say into Boots Chemist, yes, the Chemist, or roadside service stations, they have lunch combos for sale, like a sandwich in a plastic box, a can of drink and a packet of Walkers Crisps. So you put your crisps in with the egg and watercress sandwich, another pom thing, lubbly jubbly.

I have bought lots of those lunch combos during my visits to London.  However, I didn't think they were meant to be combined.  I thought the tiny packets of crisps were in lieu of desert!

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah she loves a vegetarian pie or a cheese and spinach roll, every now and then she will gosh oft and have a real one, but will probably be up in agony all night. She has pancreatitis and had her gall bladder out a few years back, so needs to be ultra careful what she eats. Chicken is a little gentler on her system but not if she overdoes it, she also has to closely monitor her fried food intake.

I will join her in a vegetable pie (preferably with cheese sauce) from time to time.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Off to the Royal on Friday, haven’t been for a few years, used to be able to get a great pie near the Wood chop, they were done in a wood fired oven, will report back if they still do them and how they measure up.

Lovely to see the Sydney Show is going to be on.  Sydney Show has the best wood chop. I didn't get to visit before they shifted venue.  Have a Devonshire Tea with CWA Ladies.  Not sure if they sell Pies. If borders are open in September, we're planning a visit to Adelaide Show which I think is best authentic show in Australia. 

• Like 1

I was having a bit of trouble cluing in to what the "Show" was but finally sorted it. The Sydney show would be like our PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) but probably bigger than the PNE. We have a fall fair here but it is only 3 days but still very much an agricultural show but on a fairly small scale. 

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I have bought lots of those lunch combos during my visits to London.  However, I didn't think they were meant to be combined.  I thought the tiny packets of crisps were in lieu of desert!

Lovely to see the Sydney Show is going to be on.  Sydney Show has the best wood chop. I didn't get to visit before they shifted venue.  Have a Devonshire Tea with CWA Ladies.  Not sure if they sell Pies. If borders are open in September, we're planning a visit to Adelaide Show which I think is best authentic show in Australia. 

We haven’t been to the Royal in years, used to go every year when we were showing the Old grounds out at Moore Park, had real personality, the new ones not so much. Would have preferred to go on Thursday Dalmatians and Doberman’s) or Sunday (Schnauzers) but Mrs Gut has to work Thursday and Miss Gut is taking the kids on Friday, so grandkids beat dogs.

CWA used to serve scones with jam and cream to those officiating, it was worth stewarding for the day, just for the feed.

We had been going to go last year and then it was cancelled don’t think I’ve been in about 15 years. So looking forward to it, not without trepidation about getting bumps in the back. Mrs and Miss Gut have been in the meantime.

This year we had to pre book, and there are only 60,000 tickets per day, so hopefully there won’t be as much pushing and shoving.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I was having a bit of trouble cluing in to what the "Show" was but finally sorted it. The Sydney show would be like our PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) but probably bigger than the PNE. We have a fall fair here but it is only 3 days but still very much an agricultural show but on a fairly small scale. 

Here is a photo of the Grand Parade at the show.

image.jpeg.c3185260db24f7ab4946749ad7541632.jpegSydney Royal Easter Show - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yep basically an agricultural show, but nowadays showcases a lot of other stuff to, I think this year it runs for 12 days, in 2018 it had over a million visitors.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep basically an agricultural show, but nowadays showcases a lot of other stuff to, I think this year it runs for 12 days, in 2018 it had over a million visitors.

Definitely bigger than the PNE. More like the Calgary Stampede but that is absolutely more about Rodeo than Agricultural show.

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Photo's of the wood chopping events.

image.jpeg.61bfc53f2cfaafd81b88e795b5ef28c9.jpegimage.jpeg.299fb0e041ade1a7c0debede24e986b5.jpegimage.jpeg.84072b02279bebdef8d6d164ef79766c.jpeg

Thank you.  The tree felling is my favourite event.  Happy to watch all the preliminary hits, then the finals which are not to be missed.  There is a Qld. father with two sons who are all champion tree fellers, who used to compete in Qld.  One son now lives in Canada but returns home for Royal Sydney Show only.  He no longer competes in Brisbane.  Woodchopping is the greatest family sport as competitors can keep competing for life because of handicapping.  I love the dogs also and also visit the dog handlers judging held during the lunch break.  The Brisbane Ekka is a shadow of its former self because too much land was given to developers for development.  I stopped my membership in disgust.  I hope the Adelaide Show stays unspoilt, so I can keep getting my Show fix there!

35 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We haven’t been to the Royal in years, used to go every year when we were showing the Old grounds out at Moore Park, had real personality, the new ones not so much. Would have preferred to go on Thursday Dalmatians and Doberman’s) or Sunday (Schnauzers) but Mrs Gut has to work Thursday and Miss Gut is taking the kids on Friday, so grandkids beat dogs.

CWA used to serve scones with jam and cream to those officiating, it was worth stewarding for the day, just for the feed.

We had been going to go last year and then it was cancelled don’t think I’ve been in about 15 years. So looking forward to it, not without trepidation about getting bumps in the back. Mrs and Miss Gut have been in the meantime.

This year we had to pre book, and there are only 60,000 tickets per day, so hopefully there won’t be as much pushing and shoving.

My great disappointment is that I never got to visit Moore Park.  Pre booking must be a new initiative to control numbers.  Hope you have a great day.  Get one of your family members to walk behind you!

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you.  The tree felling is my favourite event.  Happy to watch all the preliminary hits, then the finals which are not to be missed.  There is a Qld. father with two sons who are all champion tree fellers, who used to compete in Qld.  One son now lives in Canada but returns home for Royal Sydney Show only.  He no longer competes in Brisbane.  Woodchopping is the greatest family sport as competitors can keep competing for life because of handicapping.  I love the dogs also and also visit the dog handlers judging held during the lunch break.  The Brisbane Ekka is a shadow of its former self because too much land was given to developers for development.  I stopped my membership in disgust.  I hope the Adelaide Show stays unspoilt, so I can keep getting my Show fix there!

And I forgot to add Adelaide show is lovely, reminds me a lot of the old fashioned country show.

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My great disappointment is that I never got to visit Moore Park.  Pre booking must be a new initiative to control numbers.  Hope you have a great day.  Get one of your family members to walk behind you!

And this is first time you have had to pre-book, be interesting to see if it smooths the whole entry business. While I loved Moore Park I’m not sure it would be very wheelchair friendly at least the new one is flat with paved surfaces pretty much everywhere and few, if any cobble stones.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Ye olde Sydney showground was a great venue. Worked out there a few times in the late 60s. Homebush was ok but not the vibes.

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Ye olde Sydney showground was a great venue. Worked out there a few times in the late 60s. Homebush was ok but not the vibes.

When I was young I went to the Ekka with a girlfriend who worked for the Police.  In Sideshow Alley she ran into a policeman who she knew.  He put the money on the jockey and said one for this lady please.  Needless to say, she won.  I was in shock, because I thought it was a game of skill.  Such an innocent, I was.  Working for Police helped her out in more ways than one.  When we used to go to dances, we used to share a taxi home and stop under a light between our houses.  Once, when she came home on her own, the taxi driver decided to take her further out in to the bush.  She talked fast, saying she worked for the Police, and they would be looking for him.  He decided to take her home instead.

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I was young I went to the Ekka with a girlfriend who worked for the Police.  In Sideshow Alley she ran into a policeman who she knew.  He put the money on the jockey and said one for this lady please.  Needless to say, she won.  I was in shock, because I thought it was a game of skill.  Such an innocent, I was.  Working for Police helped her out in more ways than one.  When we used to go to dances, we used to share a taxi home and stop under a light between our houses.  Once, when she came home on her own, the taxi driver decided to take her further out in to the bush.  She talked fast, saying she worked for the Police, and they would be looking for him.  He decided to take her home instead.

Was she a public servant, like a clerk? Sounds like a bit of misuse of office even.

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes worked in a Police Station. 

In the bad old days, i worked through them 1967 to 2003. Glad I am out Marion. I could write a book on my experiences.

Now I am not as mad or evil as I appear on here, ask those who have met me. I am normally sane. I am a survivor, thus far.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, NSWP said:

In the bad old days, i worked through them 1967 to 2003. Glad I am out Marion. I could write a book on my experiences.

Now I am not as mad or evil as I appear on here, ask those who have met me. I am normally sane. I am a survivor, thus far.

My girlfriend's cousin was Police Commissioner personally selected by Premier.  Lots of stories there.  Poor mother had a corrupt son and a crazy son.  

38 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My girlfriend's cousin was Police Commissioner personally selected by Premier.  Lots of stories there.  Poor mother had a corrupt son and a crazy son.  

Indeed i have read the Terry Lewis story. Deserved what he got. A pity joe did not join him.

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Anyone heard of Skirlie Mirlie?  About to make it. 

I had to look it up. Another name for neeps and tatties from what I found, or do you add other stuff to it?

I like to use a potato, parsnip and swede mash on top of shepherds pies. I've learnt to cook the swede separately as it usually takes a lot longer to cook. Then I blitz it with my stick blended before adding it to the mashed potato and parsnip.