re meat pies

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Some restaurants in pubs and club here make their pie in a small oven proof bowl, rameken,? Filling normally goohey, like a hot pot or casserole, yes.  No bottom pastry and  put a pastry lid on top.  Knife, fork and spoon job.

I've had a pub meal of Steak & Guinness pie made like that - definitely need cutlery 

2 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Many times I can recall explaining what a Fortnight is to a US citizen.

they say bi-weekly, but I'm never sure if that's twice a week or once a fortnight 🙂 If I'm getting paid I'd hope it to be twice a week!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

As you can see by this Mr. Gut personal sized pie from Costco as you can see from the label it is referred to as "Chicken Pot pie" and it has both crusts.1385233688_Costcopie2.thumb.jpg.903b6ac63bbd092a61351fa38f86c8a5.jpg

from the tape measure I can see it's an Imperial pie rather than a metric one 🙂

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Some restaurants in pubs and club here make their pie in a small oven proof bowl, rameken,? Filling normally goohey, like a hot pot or casserole, yes.  No bottom pastry and  put a pastry lid on top.  Knife, fork and spoon job.

Yes, that's what I think of as a hot pot or pot pie. Actually with a hot pot the topping can be pastry or mash. If it doesn't have pastry on the bottom it's not a proper pie IMHO! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that's what I think of as a hot pot or pot pie. Actually with a hot pot the topping can be pastry or mash. If it doesn't have pastry on the bottom it's not a proper pie IMHO! 

Laziness too on the part of the cooks. The golf club does a meat 🥧 sometimes, like a stew with a piece of pastry on top.

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Laziness too on the part of the cooks. The golf club does a meat 🥧 sometimes, like a stew with a piece of pastry on top.

It's actually a good way to make the dish a little healthier. Lets face it, pastry is extremely yummy but it isn't all that healthy, so just having a pastry top on a dish reduces the amount of pastry by about 60-65%. And the top pastry is always the best anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's actually a good way to make the dish a little healthier. Lets face it, pastry is extremely yummy but it isn't all that healthy, so just having a pastry top on a dish reduces the amount of pastry by about 60-65%. And the top pastry is always the best anyway.

Have to agree, one does not need all that pastry, no good for me anyway.

Was on a promise last night for Harry’s, but it was Bikey night and couldn’t get near the place, so “How about fish and chips at the co-op” closing as we got there. Well Chinese, OK. Hey look KFC have 24 nuggets for $10 that not a bad deal. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Was on a promise last night for Harry’s, but it was Bikey night and couldn’t get near the place, so “How about fish and chips at the co-op” closing as we got there. Well Chinese, OK. Hey look KFC have 24 nuggets for $10 that not a bad deal. 

Desperate times call for desperate actions. KFC? That's real desperation. 😟

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Desperate times call for desperate actions. KFC? That's real desperation. 😟

Mrs G went to a book launch, as I said Harry’s was 1st pick but Bikers galore, so next was co-op, but we were about 1 min after opening, so a feed of Chinese was on the cards, but nearly 8:00 by the time we got home, so probably not get fed till 8:30 and Maxy was home alone, so KFC nuggets it was.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Mrs G went to a book launch, as I said Harry’s was 1st pick but Bikers galore, so next was co-op, but we were about 1 min after opening, so a feed of Chinese was on the cards, but nearly 8:00 by the time we got home, so probably not get fed till 8:30 and Maxy was home alone, so KFC nuggets it was.

I don't mind ye olde KFC and Maccas Nuggets, with the little sachets of bbq or sweet and sour sauce. Large fries on the side and a large Coke or Pepsi. The KFC ones are called popcorn chicken now are they not? or do they still have ye olde nuggets as well.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I don't mind ye olde KFC and Maccas Nuggets, with the little sachets of bbq or sweet and sour sauce. Large fries on the side and a large Coke or Pepsi. The KFC ones are called popcorn chicken now are they not? or do they still have ye olde nuggets as well.

th.jpg

No popcorn chicken is different again, little balls of coated chicken, each about the size of a good old standard marble.

Mrs G actually prefers the Oporto nuggets (can’t think what they call them). It was really a case of too late to have many options and neither wanting to cook, and let’s be fair 24 for $10 wasn’t a bad deal, though I notice this morning Maccas has the same offer

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Spicy chicken bolas. I've tried them too like the seasoning but Red Rooster is juicier😉

Just looked at Oporto web site, it is the Crispy Strips she favours.

• Like 1

Sorry chicken nuggets....... aaahhhhhhh    no.....

TA chicken is whole BBQ dead chook..... with chips, a bit of salad ( for the healthy ) 

and chilli sauce for dipping chicken and chips...

to be washed down with a $10 fizz.... doesn't get much better

Also agree a pie should be surround by pastry....

Don