re meat pies

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I normally buy 1.25 Lt Max for under $1.30 or 2lt around $2.10 for home

So smart move to not buy at Show.  I don't usually buy so not up with prices.  

I used to work with the guy who developed the system for unit cost.  I use it all the time because it demonstrates which size is best value.  

I just budget for paying the higher prices for food and drinks, when not at home. When travelling, whether it is overseas or herebin Australia, you will almost always pay more for any foods or drink than when shopping at home. 

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I just budget for paying the higher prices for food and drinks, when not at home. When travelling, whether it is overseas or herebin Australia, you will almost always pay more for any foods or drink than when shopping at home. 

My luxury at the show is the famous strawberry ice-cream.  Volunteers man the stands and profits go to the Hospital.  Last year, with no Ekka, my daughter bought our icecreams from a pop up store at an aged care centre.  We had to assemble our own icecreams which never tasted so good!

Otherwise I try to avoid buying food and drinks where I feel like I'm being ripped off.  My grandmother was a child of the depression, so it is in my DNA not to waste money. 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes and no. I have had plenty meals when travelling that are cheaper than at home, and some food stuffs overseas are far cheaper then the same products sold in Australia. So I don't think it is a given rule that everything has to be more expensive when travelling🤔

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Yes and no. I have had plenty meals when travelling that are cheaper than at home, and some food stuffs overseas are far cheaper then the same products sold in Australia. So I don't think it is a given rule that everything has to be more expensive when travelling🤔

Exactly, you are there, buy it, do it.  I read some posts on CC where people have spent thousands on airfares and cruises but are too mean to buy a coffee or drink overseas because of the cost, which might be not much more expensive than here. I hate people who have to convert local currency into AUD before they open their wallets. Likewise ship's shorex, buy them, because in future it may be the only way you will get off the ship, with new covid policy coming in.

I read some of the posts on these World Cruise roll calls, where people confess to being wine drinkers at home, but refuse to buy a glass of wine or bottle of wine on the ships.  For god's sake, what did it cost to get on the ship, like $50k pp?  Why suffer for 107 days without a drink.🍷 You cannot tell me they are happy. 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Exactly, you are there, buy it, do it.  I read some posts on CC where people have spent thousands on airfares and cruises but are too mean to buy a coffee or drink overseas because of the cost, which might be not much more expensive than here. I hate people who have to convert local currency into AUD before they open their wallets. Likewise ship's shorex, buy them, because in future it may be the only way you will get off the ship, with new covid policy coming in.

I read some of the posts on these World Cruise roll calls, where people confess to being wine drinkers at home, but refuse to buy a glass of wine or bottle of wine on the ships.  For god's sake, what did it cost to get on the ship, like $50k pp?  Why suffer for 107 days without a drink.🍷 You cannot tell me they are happy. 

That attitude seems just as binary as Mic's comment😂. I get people not wanting to buy shorex. The one time I had an optional Shorex I arranged a car rental and explored myself because I didn't like the idea of spending 2 hours at some fabric store I knew I had no interest in. Compulsory shorex will be a deal breaker for a lot of people unless the cruise lines can offer more types of shorex to cover more interests or at least eliminate some of those shopping stops which seem to be the biggest pet peeve. 

The alcohol one I sort of understand as well since the mark ups can be over the top so it makes sense people might baulk at the prices but then I'm not a much of a drinker so abstaining isn't that difficult for me😜. I would rather save the money to purchase local produce that isn't available at home then overpriced wine I can get for a fraction of the cost at Dan Murphy😉

Edited by ilikeanswers

33 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That attitude seems just as binary as Mic's comment😂. I get people not wanting to buy shorex. The one time I had an optional Shorex I arranged a car rental and explored myself because I didn't like the idea of spending 2 hours at some fabric store I knew I had no interest in. Compulsory shorex will be a deal breaker for a lot of people unless the cruise lines can offer more types of shorex to cover more interests or at least eliminate some of those shopping stops which seem to be the biggest pet peeve. 

The alcohol one I sort of understand as well since the mark ups can be over the top so it makes sense people might baulk at the prices but then I'm not a much of a drinker so abstaining isn't that difficult for me😜. I would rather save the money to purchase local produce that isn't available at home then overpriced wine I can get for a fraction of the cost at Dan Murphy😉

Take your points, but what is the point in going if one cannot splurge?  Budget for the extras.

Edited by NSWP

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Take your points, but what is the point in going if one cannot splurge?  Budget for the extras.

I don't think I said anything about not splurging 😂 but people can be selective in what they want to slurge. Unless you have unlimited funds people still need to budget to an extent. For example I would rather save the $15 for a glass of wine on cruise ship to spend it at Port on locally made products, a local meal or an entrance fee to something I really want to see. As glass of wine is not going to give me the same enjoyment as those other things. If wine gives you that enjoyment then that is what you should splurge on😉

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I agree Les, we are trying to be frugal but not cheap, so far we are averaging about $200.00 a night for accommodation many of which have kitchen facilities and laundry. We will cook some of our own meals and I'm sure pick up a few tabs along the way. Like you said, we have paid $9,000.00 just to get there why on earth would we not explore what Australia and New Zealand have to offer in food and beverage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yeah, I’m a notorious tightwad, but for heavens sake if I’m on holidays I’ll but it if I want it. Even at the show it wasn’t the price stopped me buying a coke, it was that they only had the No Sugar, which I hate.

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2018 at 3:45 PM, NSWP said:

The very best GF pies, meat and apple, wonderful, from Gluten Free Bakery based in Qld, but they retail their pies in many IGA stores.  They have perfected their pastry and fillings.

glutenfree.gif

I haven't seen these yet - are they in the frozen section? I usually shop IGA

2 hours ago, kate59 said:

2 hours ago, kate59 said:

Yes in frozen section with other gf stuff, but not all iga stores stock them. Down here i have 5 igas within half hr drive, Batehaven, surf beach, malua bay, tomakin and moruya. Only surf beach iga stocks them. Ask your iga manager to order them in thru metcash, their supplier.

• Like 1

Mrs G forced me, at gunpoint mind, to ear some pies from Aldi, chunky, 2 for about $4.75, not bad actually, chunky meat, no gristle, nice firm bottom. Could have done with a bit of pepper or such in the gravy, and probably a tad more gravy, but all up I’ll have it again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Yes in frozen section with other gf stuff, but not all iga stores stock them. Down here i have 5 igas within half hr drive, Batehaven, surf beach, malua bay, tomakin and moruya. Only surf beach iga stocks them. Ask your iga manager to order them in thru metcash, their supplier.

Thanks,  will do. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a nice "Shepherds Pie" (this is what my English Grandmother called it) ground beef, mixed veg and mashed potatoes on top. I always wondered about how the "shepherd" came to have beef, perhaps he borrowed it from a someone's herd😁. Of course I have been told by some that such a dish is actually a "Cottage Pie" whatever it was we enjoyed it.

Meanwhile I am watching "Coast Australia" and they were talking about the mines in South Australia and they were talking about Cornish pasties and how the miners used the crimp as a handle to eat the pastry and then threw it away where the rats ate that crust and died from the arsenic left on it from the miner's hand.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 6:48 PM, Aus Traveller said:

One of our family favourites was steak and kidney pie. When one of my sons was around 10 or so, he told me I would make a lot of money if I sold my steak and kidney pies. Don't you love what kids say???? 😄

My aunt used to make cornish pasties for her SIL to sell in their small shop.  They used to sell out in a flash!  It was hard to buy steak and kidney pies for a while, but I've been able to buy them recently. 

I just had a pie with mushy peas added for lunch and a pastie for later from our popular baker.  

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Yes, so cute.  My aunt used to make cornish pasties for her SIL to sell in their small shop.  They used to sell out in a flash!  It was hard to buy steak and kidney pies for a while, but I've been able to buy them recently. 

I just had a pie with mushy peas added for lunch and a pastie for later from our popular baker.  

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I did a nice "Shepherds Pie" (this is what my English Grandmother called it) ground beef, mixed veg and mashed potatoes on top. I always wondered about how the "shepherd" came to have beef, perhaps he borrowed it from a someone's herd😁

The recipe I was always told was lamb mince🤔. I had a little google and apparently it was traditionally a leftover dish made from whatever roast was uneaten so I guess the "Shepherd" is figurative😝

Edited by ilikeanswers

I know it's the wrong way round but I call the beef mince version Shepherds Pie and if I make them using leftover roast lamb it's Lamb Hotpot. I grew up having the beef mince style shepherd pie and I'm too old to change my naming conventions.🤣

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I know it's the wrong way round but I call the beef mince version Shepherds Pie and if I make them using leftover roast lamb it's Lamb Hotpot. I grew up having the beef mince style shepherd pie and I'm too old to change my naming conventions.🤣

My mum always called the beef mince version shepherd's pie too, as I always do.

Leigh

• Like 1