re meat pies

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Ha Ha  I'm not a food snob.  I love nothing better than eating fresh bread soaked in soup or stew remains.  I'll try it next time I make my own chips, as most chips from fish and chip shops aren't of the standard you mentioned (except a shop at Burleigh Heads and Frankston, Tas).

Lane Cove West has chip-butty-worthy chips as well. I must admit I rarely use them for chip butties though as we don't usually have white bread at home. 

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You could try a crisps butty. That is a sandwich using packet chips. We use to make them at school when we would have a sandwich and one of those small chip packets, you would put the chips inside the sandwich giving you the cruchiest sandwich😁

Perfect with vegemite sandwiches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Sawdust...........Our local butcher makes sausages with one half meat and the other half sawdust.........he says in these difficult times it is hard to make “ both ends meet “😁

Sawdust is healthy and gf, made from wood, lol.🤣When I was at school, I worked in a butchers shop on Saturdays, floor was sawdust on concrete, one of my jobs was to sweep the blood stained sawdust and put new stuff down, I think they did use some in the snags, after all it was England in the early 1960's.

Edited by NSWP

51 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You could try a crisps butty. That is a sandwich using packet chips. We use to make them at school when we would have a sandwich and one of those small chip packets, you would put the chips inside the sandwich giving you the cruchiest sandwich😁

Crisp butty doesn't appeal either, but I could eat each separately. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Sawdust is healthy and gf, made from wood, lol.🤣When I was at school, I worked in a butchers shop on Saturdays, floor was sawdust on concrete, one of my jobs was to sweep the blood stained sawdust and put new stuff down, I think they did use some in the snags, after all it was England in the early 1960's.

My local butcher as a child had sawdust on concrete on the floor, with a big wooden chopping block in the middle.  One of my joys now is that there are still local butcher shops which will sell you whatever cut of meat you want.  Long may they live!!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I am a foodie.  Part of the enjoyment of food is how it is presented.  However, I could pick chips off bread and eat them one by one.  Reminds me of my youth when I used to separate all my food on my plate.  

I'm quite amused at the variety of eating styles seen around the place, I prefer to get a little bit of several things on the fork at once eg. bacon egg hash brown. SWMBO eats all of each item separately, leaving the meat until last.

Any other styles out there.

51 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My local butcher as a child had sawdust on concrete on the floor, with a big wooden chopping block in the middle.  One of my joys now is that there are still local butcher shops which will sell you whatever cut of meat you want.  Long may they live!!  

I don't recall sawdust on the floor I think it was concrete with scupper where they would hose down the blood with water. That butcher shop is still there with all the hanging bars for trolleying the hanging carcasses from but they don't really part out whole sides anymore. It is mostly just cutting up chunks that come in cryovac packaging. I do know they make excellent bacon and sausages as well as smoked hog skin doggie treats so they must be parting out critters at some point maybe not where the customers can see anymore.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't recall sawdust on the floor I think it was concrete with scupper where they would hose down the blood with water. That butcher shop is still there with all the hanging bars for trolleying the hanging carcasses from but they don't really part out whole sides anymore. It is mostly just cutting up chunks that come in cryovac packaging. I do know they make excellent bacon and sausages as well as smoked hog skin doggie treats so they must be parting out critters at some point maybe not where the customers can see anymore.

My butcher makes his own bacon and ham , as well as sausages.  He will bring out part of a carcass on his shoulder to cut out requested part if he doesn't have it on display counter.  He also sells prepared meals for busy modern cooks to heat up.  There are two excellent butchers in the one street. Also two bakeries.  I am blessed.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I'm quite amused at the variety of eating styles seen around the place, I prefer to get a little bit of several things on the fork at once eg. bacon egg hash brown. SWMBO eats all of each item separately, leaving the meat until last.

At home I mostly tend to keep each item separate as an individual bite but vary the items as I eat but there are some exceptions like peas with mash.

However at fancy restaurants I'm learning to appreciate combinations of flavours as the way they are plated encourages that.

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My butcher makes his own bacon and ham , as well as sausages.  He will bring out part of a carcass on his shoulder to cut out requested part if he doesn't have it on display counter.  He also sells prepared meals for busy modern cooks to heat up.  There are two excellent butchers in the one street. Also two bakeries.  I am blessed.  

My butcher doesn't make his own bacon and ham but has very good quality ones. They do make their own sausages, koftas, cevipcicis, wagyu patties, etc. They have a range of home made stews, marinated chickens and lamb, and other specialities (their garlic spatchcocks are a big favourite in our household). They will cut meat to order, of course. All their meat is excellent quality although the lamb, and now beef, is getting a bit too expensive. 😥

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Vegan sausages are a real puzzle, makes you wonder what is really in them.

I have had vegan sausages filled with chickpeas. The flavour was good but the texture was grainy and it was pretty dry.

Edited by ilikeanswers

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have had vegan sausages filled with chickpeas. The flavour was good but the texture was grainy and it was pretty dry.

We have vegan "meat" for sale in the meat section of Coles.  I wonder why they bother to spend time making it look like real meat.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I feel ill reading the above, I am a carnivore.donegans-steak-house.jpg.301454d910ce542d5d61ba8a6759d5d6.jpg

• Like 1

If someone has made the choice to be Vegan why on earth would the marketing wogs market "meat" products to them. Just call them veggie patties, veggie rolls (Sausages should contain meat, no?) Whatever quit using meat terms for these products.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Crisp butty doesn't appeal either, but I could eat each separately. 

Oh yeah, that is good, plenty of that in my life. If you are in UK and you go say into Boots Chemist, yes, the Chemist, or roadside service stations, they have lunch combos for sale, like a sandwich in a plastic box, a can of drink and a packet of Walkers Crisps. So you put your crisps in with the egg and watercress sandwich, another pom thing, lubbly jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Separating food and eating separately is also an Aspergers Syndrome trait, my 16 year old grandson is Aspergers, does some strange things.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just call them veggie patties, veggie rolls (Sausages should contain meat, no?) 

The word sausage originally meant "to season with salt" No mention of meat. In northern eastern Poland there is a traditional sausage which is hog casing stuffed with mash potato. I suppose if you swap the hog casing for something plant based it could be vegan too😂

I have never got the “let’s pretend it is meat” thing either. Mrs Gut is vegan (will go vegetarian if needed) and I have had times when the men of medicine make me go vegetarian. Don’t mind a vegetarian patty on a Burger (in fact Princess do a pretty good one at the burger bar) but let’s not play make believe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The word sausage originally meant "to season with salt" No mention of meat. In northern eastern Poland there is a traditional sausage which is hog casing stuffed with mash potato. I suppose if you swap the hog casing for something plant based it could be vegan too😂

Now that you mention it my Mom did make potato sausage, it was definitely not my favourite all that work with the casings to waste it on potatoes. I love potatoes, I particularly like left over mashed potatoes fried up in a pan with loads of butter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I have never got the “let’s pretend it is meat” thing either. Mrs Gut is vegan (will go vegetarian if needed) and I have had times when the men of medicine make me go vegetarian. Don’t mind a vegetarian patty on a Burger (in fact Princess do a pretty good one at the burger bar) but let’s not play make believe.

I thought Mrs Gut was a dogs eye eater like yourself? 

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I thought Mrs Gut was a dogs eye eater like yourself? 

Yeah she loves a vegetarian pie or a cheese and spinach roll, every now and then she will gosh oft and have a real one, but will probably be up in agony all night. She has pancreatitis and had her gall bladder out a few years back, so needs to be ultra careful what she eats. Chicken is a little gentler on her system but not if she overdoes it, she also has to closely monitor her fried food intake.

I will join her in a vegetable pie (preferably with cheese sauce) from time to time.

Off to the Royal on Friday, haven’t been for a few years, used to be able to get a great pie near the Wood chop, they were done in a wood fired oven, will report back if they still do them and how they measure up.

• Like 1