re meat pies

10 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Got some from Aldi a couple of weeks ago, they were to die for.

Tried them a few Christmases ago wasn't keen though perhaps they may have changed their recipe so could give them another go. 

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The European mince pies are so much better than the Aussie ones

I once bought some that had been imported from Britain does that count as Europe😂? Never tried any from mainland Europe, though I'm not sure where in mainland Europe they eat fruit mince pies🤔. My European side is mostly Slavic and fruit mince pies are not in their repertoire😜

I think for me I am not fond of the traditional fillings of fruit mince pies. They all seem to be some mixture of dried fruit and I have never liked dried fruits. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The European mince pies are so much better than the Aussie ones

Mic, I think it depends on who makes them. My son in law's mother who is English makes the best mince pies I have ever eaten. A friend (another English woman) also makes a really good one too. Both ladies make the mince quite a while before baking the pies/tarts which I think is the secret.

This morning I read an article about Lancashire Butter pies which I had never heard of before. I was surprised that they were invented by monks from Preston in Lancshire to eat on Fridays - so they are meatless pies with a filling of potato and onion. Has anyone else heard of them?

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

This morning I read an article about Lancashire Butter pies which I had never heard of before. I was surprised that they were invented by monks from Preston in Lancshire to eat on Fridays - so they are meatless pies with a filling of potato and onion. Has anyone else heard of them?

No. My mother came from Preston but obviously didn't bring that recipe with her when her family moved to NZ. I imagine they could be quite nice though.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I never heard of this particular pie but in Lithuania we tried a pastie like pastry that was filled with potatoes onion and cheese. It was very delicious so I could imagine these pies might be nice. In North Eastern Poland they have a sausage filled with mashed potatoes instead of meat. It was a little bland could have done with some onion or cheese 😋

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No. My mother came from Preston but obviously didn't bring that recipe with her when her family moved to NZ. I imagine they could be quite nice though.

I think the pies would be nice too Julie, I think you could add some bacon which would be quite tasty. I have relatives who live a few miles away from Preston in Blackburn. 

10 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I never heard of this particular pie but in Lithuania we tried a pastie like pastry that was filled with potatoes onion and cheese. It was very delicious so I could imagine these pies might be nice. 

Add a few spices and you have a samosa. Wrap it in a chickpea "crepe" and you have dosa masala. And surely the Irish must have something similar?

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think the pies would be nice too Julie, I think you could add some bacon which would be quite tasty. I have relatives who live a few miles away from Preston in Blackburn. 

Yes, bacon would be a yummy addition although the original intent would have been for a dish to be eaten on days when meat was banned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Add a few spices and you have a samosa. Wrap it in a chickpea "crepe" and you have dosa masala. And surely the Irish must have something similar?

Samosa wrappers tend to remind me of spring rolls. The Lithuanian one was more bread like so perhaps more closer to the dosa masala in the shape of a dumpling and risen😆

34 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Samosa wrappers tend to remind me of spring rolls. The Lithuanian one was more bread like so perhaps more closer to the dosa masala in the shape of a dumpling and risen😆

There are so many variations of pastry. I don't think samosa pastry is as flaky as spring roll pastry but even spring rolls can vary. 

Regardless of the pastry, potatoes and onions, with or without heaps of butter or herbs or spices, still makes for a tasty meatless treat.

• Like 1

The local bakery at Batehaven call their pasties 'Cornwall Pasties' lol so as to do the right thing by Cornish pie makers re the 'real original Cornish Pastie.'   Like Champagne if made in OZ it is 'Australian Sparkling Wine.'  And so it goes on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Not heard of them Julie,  Baker Google would know, lol. Basically potato and onions with seasonings. Pic below.

th (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not heard of them Julie,  Baker Google would know, lol. Basically potato and onions with seasonings. Pic below.

th (1).jpg

I already Googled them.🤣 What I meant was I hadn't heard of them before despite having a Lancashire born mother.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The local bakery at Batehaven call their pasties 'Cornwall Pasties' lol so as to do the right thing by Cornish pie makers re the 'real original Cornish Pastie.'   Like Champagne if made in OZ it is 'Australian Sparkling Wine.'  And so it goes on.

Good on them. They are still honouring the origin without stealing the name. Are they any good?

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder whether our ancestors paths ever crossed?

My Lancashire ancestors originally came from the Rochdale area. The father and son who came to Australia came via Salford courts. Rob has ancestors from Manchester.

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Good on them. They are still honouring the origin without stealing the name. Are they any good?

I have not tried them because of the pastry, but my son was here a couple of weeks ago and had one, said it was good.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Yep, the miners took them underground in ye olde Cornwall, but they did tin mining.

My Cornish ancestors were tin miners in far western Cornwall. My mum uses her great grandmother’s recipe for pasties.