re meat pies

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't dislike ice-cream but I prefer it with fruit or on it's own, not with already sweet enough desserts. I'd rather have plain whipped cream with those.

Yes I would too Julie. We went out for lunch on Wednesday and decided to have dessert as well. I chose a chocolate pudding with a caramel sauce and a scoop of icecream. It was very sweet, I would rather have had cream instead of ice cream. I did enjoy it but couldn't eat it all.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

@possum52 Those are some fine looking pastries. Good on the lads for taking that on.

Cheers Leigh, I'm sure you're proud of them.

We are proud of them thanks Lyle. They are great boys, cheeky to their Nana at times but so loving and thoughtful too. They love their sport, which they are good at, have many friends and do well at school. Can't ask for much more from your grandchildren. 

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

No ice cream, oh dear, I am an icecreamaholic. Always 4 tubs of different ice creams in my freezer, the 1 or 2 litre ones, Vanilla, Rum and Raisin (I add a capful of Bundy rum to the bowl of icecream) , Strawberry and Chocolate of course.  Lubbly Jubbly.

Back on topic, meat pie day here today, 11C this morning...

694031.jpg.612810217bc7816f82a1cf0520a4246a.jpg

They don’t look too bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

While my daughter and son in law, who were both positive to Covid, were isolating with their two sons, the boys aged 14 and 11 fended for themselves. They both love cooking, so took it upon themselves, as well as keeping the house relatively clean and tidy, to prepare and cook meals for themselves and their parents for the week of isolation. One evening they made pies and sausage rolls from scratch, including cooking the minced beef mixture to put in the pies. The only thing they didn't do was make the pastry themselves, they used pastry sheets. 

No description available.

I think they did a brilliant job. 

They did a great job there Leigh, Pastry Cooks of the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

While my daughter and son in law, who were both positive to Covid, were isolating with their two sons, the boys aged 14 and 11 fended for themselves. They both love cooking, so took it upon themselves, as well as keeping the house relatively clean and tidy, to prepare and cook meals for themselves and their parents for the week of isolation. One evening they made pies and sausage rolls from scratch, including cooking the minced beef mixture to put in the pies. The only thing they didn't do was make the pastry themselves, they used pastry sheets. 

I remember Anthony Bourdain saying by the time anyone leaves school they should have mastered at least four basic recipes. Looking at those well constructed pastries your grandsons are ready for life😉

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I buy these cans, keep well in fridge...

295648.jpg

I did shopping for my son while he and his family were in Covid isolation and one thing requested was a can of whipped cream so they could make cafe style iced chocolate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I remember Anthony Bourdain saying by the time anyone leaves school they should have mastered at least four basic recipes. Looking at those well constructed pastries your grandsons are ready for life😉

Thank you, yes they sure are.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I buy these cans, keep well in fridge...

295648.jpg

Yuck! 

Plain whipped cream = regular cream plus a minute or two with the stick blender whisk.

Canned whipped cream = Pasteurised Cream (62%) (from Milk, contains min 35% Milk Fat), Skimmed Milk Concentrate, Liquid Sugar (Sugar, Water), Dextrose, Propellant (Nitrogen, Nitrous Oxide), Emulsifier (471), Vegetable Gum (Carrageenan), Flavour (Natural Flavour)

32 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Leigh, your grandsons did a great job making those pies and sausage rolls. What other things do they enjoy cooking?

Just about anything Julie, they have made curries and pastas, the younger one makes sushi and lasagne. Elder one's specialty is spag bol. They do bake at times as well, making cakes and biscuits.

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Just about anything Julie, they have made curries and pastas, the younger one makes sushi and lasagne. Elder one's specialty is spag bol. They do bake at times as well, making cakes and biscuits.

That's fantastic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yuck! 

Plain whipped cream = regular cream plus a minute or two with the stick blender whisk.

Canned whipped cream = Pasteurised Cream (62%) (from Milk, contains min 35% Milk Fat), Skimmed Milk Concentrate, Liquid Sugar (Sugar, Water), Dextrose, Propellant (Nitrogen, Nitrous Oxide), Emulsifier (471), Vegetable Gum (Carrageenan), Flavour (Natural Flavour)

You cannot beat the canned cream for convenience though.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yuck! 

I have an ISI whipper that whips cream like the cans without the need for all those extra ingredients😂. It also doubles as a pipping bag for the whipped cream so you can decorate with all the fancy patterns. It is also great for making instant mousse😋

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And you don't have to chuck it out after a few days because of souring.

That’s the beauty of some of these products, especially if it’s just for one, or even two, you church so much out.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, MicCanberra said:

You cannot beat the canned cream for convenience though.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:02 AM, NSWP said:

And you don't have to chuck it out after a few days because of souring.

We find the canned cream so convenient for a quick squirt on to the jam scones or pikelets - we aren't going to whip a batch up for just a couple of dollops

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, possum52 said:

Agree Impressive Leigh.  They'll be keepers later in life.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now this is serious folks, being reported in the media....in the Ukraine, locals offered the Russian troops home made pies, but alas the locals had allegedly put poison in them. As a result 2 Russians died and a couple of hundred are in hospital.  God only knows what retributions the Ruskis took on the locals.  So beware the Ukrainian dogs eyes.

599219743_th(1).jpg.5b163f01280233be7a0a67bc06ef0fe9.jpg