re meat pies

On 2/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, mr walker said:

I thought that all the tourists in Jan would have given the area a kick-on. We’ll come down & do our bit 

Neil...I am on another little road trip for 4 nights, 27 Feb to 3 March - down Corowa/Rutherglen way, sampling the wineries etc. Not been down there for 20 years.

amy-schumer-white-wine-huge-glass.jpg.c285ae2f39c421936a48aa4173840321.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Neil...I am on another little road trip for 4 nights, 27 Feb to 3 March - down Corowa/Rutherglen way, sampling the wineries etc. Not been down there for 20 years.

Sounds like a nice car trip.  We have stayed on the Murray River on NSW side a couple of times, but I can't remember name of places.  It was beautiful and peaceful.  

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

There are some seriously good Durifs in that region. 

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are some seriously good Durifs in that region. 

There are and some seriously good fortifieds, North East Vic is known for those.  Last time down there we stayed in Tulleries @ Rutherglen, (now owned by De Bortoli) this time I am staying at Federation Motor Inn, Corowa. About 5 and a half hour drive from here including a half hour stop. I will book in for a 6 hour wine tour inc lunch and 5 wineries, mini bus pick up and drop off, safety first.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

There are and some seriously good fortifieds, North East Vic is known for those.  Last time down there we stayed in Tulleries @ Rutherglen, (now owned by De Bortoli) this time I am staying at Federation Motor Inn, Corowa. About 5 and a half hour drive from here including a half hour stop. I will book in for a 6 hour wine tour inc lunch and 5 wineries, mini bus pick up and drop off, safety first.

Yes, we've tried quite a few of the Rutherglen fortifieds over the years. 

What wineries does the bus tour go to?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, we've tried quite a few of the Rutherglen fortifieds over the years. 

What wineries does the bus tour go to?

They have a selection of a dozen and do five, depends on day of week and whether open or not.  Bit of a wine mystery tour, lol.  Only a mini bus, but they will take even 1 or max of 9.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They have a selection of a dozen and do five, depends on day of week and whether open or not.  Bit of a wine mystery tour, lol.  Only a mini bus, but they will take even 1 or max of 9.

Well there are certainly plenty of wineries to choose from. We spent a week there once. I think we managed to visit every winery in that time. 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Well there are certainly plenty of wineries to choose from. We spent a week there once. I think we managed to visit every winery in that time. 😊

I do other things in those area other than wine, one day doing the wineries is enough, I do the museums, drives and any historic or scenic stuff. Perhaps a day cruise on the Murray River.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NSWP said:

Sounds like a great trip mate - enjoy. 

We are making our touring plans for the rest of this year, just within NSW - planning 4 trips of around 10-12 days each - South, SW, NW & North. I am planning to retire 1st July - big step after working fulltime for 46 years! One of the things we are wanting to see is the silo-art popping up all around the countryside, and sample the pies on offer at each town along the way 🙂 .

I am on leave Mar14-25 & we are planning coming down the Sth Coast - probably a couple of nights at Jervis Bay, couple of nights at Batemans Bay and then at Merimbula, and then home via inland route. Maybe we can catch up with you16/17th March if you are around - will keep in touch on that.

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

Sounds like a great trip mate - enjoy. 

We are making our touring plans for the rest of this year, just within NSW - planning 4 trips of around 10-12 days each - South, SW, NW & North. I am planning to retire 1st July - big step after working fulltime for 46 years! One of the things we are wanting to see is the silo-art popping up all around the countryside, and sample the pies on offer at each town along the way 🙂 .

I am on leave Mar14-25 & we are planning coming down the Sth Coast - probably a couple of nights at Jervis Bay, couple of nights at Batemans Bay and then at Merimbula, and then home via inland route. Maybe we can catch up with you16/17th March if you are around - will keep in touch on that.

Cheers

Your touring plans for NSW sound great.  Those silos with big works of art have become quite a touring attraction.  Living in Old., I have done many coastal car trips to Sydney and inland trips to Victoria, however I have only done one coastal trip south of Sydney like you are planning.  What a delightful surprise that was.  Even saw kangaroos on the beach and a mother and baby whale at Eden.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, GUT2407 said:

They don’t look bad if you MUST have Gluten Free

Well I do Gut, me being a full blown medically diagnosed coeliac.  It ain't nice, all my country road trips and no gf pies on the road, 99% of country town bakeries do not stock gf pies, most don't even have a gf cake, perhaps a friand which I detest !!! tragic actually. And you go into many of these country pubs and clubs, nearly everything is crumbed or battered.

Edited by NSWP

29 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Shame, they should cater for your dietary requirements in advance.

The cruise lines are very good, main ones I have been with...Princess, Cunard, HAL, P&O UK all do a good job with dietary requirements.  But some caterers at clubs, pubs and restaurants do not have a clue and in fact many don't care, you would not believe the arrogance of some.  I name and shame them on Tripadvisor.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The cruise lines are very good, main ones I have been with...Princess, Cunard, HAL, P&O UK all do a good job with dietary requirements.  But some caterers at clubs, pubs and restaurants do not have a clue and in fact many don't care, you would not believe the arrogance of some.  I name and shame them on Tripadvisor.

Don't they know who you are?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Well I do Gut, me being a full blown medically diagnosed coeliac.  It ain't nice, all my country road trips and no gf pies on the road, 99% of country town bakeries do not stock gf pies, most don't even have a gf cake, perhaps a friand which I detest !!! tragic actually. And you go into many of these country pubs and clubs, nearly everything is crumbed or battered.

It must be hard Uncle Les, the daughter is only intolerant to gluten but still finds it difficult, Mrs Gut finds it hard to just do Vegan. A few times Drs have had me on elimination diets to see if foods are effecting some conditions and just trying to avoid certain foods can in some places be near on impossible.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:50 PM, GUT2407 said:

It must be hard Uncle Les, the daughter is only intolerant to gluten but still finds it difficult, Mrs Gut finds it hard to just do Vegan. A few times Drs have had me on elimination diets to see if foods are effecting some conditions and just trying to avoid certain foods can in some places be near on impossible.

It ain't easy mate.  I carry some of my own stuff on my monthly road trips, like gf bread for toast, gf bikkies for a brew, gf crackers for pre dinner snacks. I like the hotel/motel cooked brekkies but also carry my own gf Weetbix or cornflakes if no cooked brekkie available or I do not like the menu.   I have an Engel car fridge, comes in handy. 

• Like 2