re meat pies

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Not a big fan of pie face, but enjoy your trip and I hope you find lots of GF pies on the road.

Highly unlikely Gut, country nsw is not really into gf. Safer that way on a cruise ship.

Edited by NSWP

IMHO don't buy a pastie anywhere else than Sth Australia.

The drive through bottle shop at the Kingston Hotel have great chunky steak pies. They are made on premises. In the burbs the Erindale cakery bakery does excellent mince pies.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mareblu said:

We’re at Raymonds, Les.  Delish, and with a seriously good pinot grigio😋

I am envious, they just reopened Tuesday after 2 week closure re kitchen work being done, new woks lol.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Have you seen oranges for sale?  Oranges at both Woolies and Coles here have seen better days!  My favourite oranges come from SA, but I'm happy to have any fresh juicy oranges. 

I did see a lot of citrus 🍊 orchards today just outside Leeton, they are on the trees and growing. It is a orange and lemon 🍋 growing area around here. No roadside stalls that I saw, but in town there is a big fruit and vegie shop, local produce.

Edited by NSWP

On 6/1/2022 at 11:31 AM, NSWP said:

I am envious, they just reopened Tuesday after 2 week closure re kitchen work being done, new woks lol.

It was their first night open after the two weeks, and it was so busy.  Wonderful to see such a great restaurant so well patronised.  Woks working well😋

13 hours ago, Mareblu said:

It was their first night open after the two weeks, and it was so busy.  Wonderful to see such a great restaurant so well patronised.  Woks working well😋

Glad you enjoyed it.  I am going there Sunday night with my daughter and two grandkids from Moruya. 2 June was my 50th wedding anniversary so a little celebration. I had a solo dinner last night at Ewe and Me, Thunderbird Motel, Yass. Retro motel, but food spot on. Been there before.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  I am going there Sunday night with my daughter and two grandkids from Moruya. 2 June was my 50th wedding anniversary so a little celebration. I had a solo dinner last night at Ewe and Me, Thunderbird Motel, Yass. Retro motel, but food spot on. Been there before.

Hope you had a good trip mate - a bit chilly?? 😁 

Tracey & I are off to Central Coast next week to visit Tracey’s sister. Pies definitely on the menu up there

enjoy you dinner at Raymond’s !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Hope you had a good trip mate - a bit chilly?? 😁 

Tracey & I are off to Central Coast next week to visit Tracey’s sister. Pies definitely on the menu up there

enjoy you dinner at Raymond’s !!

Good trip Neil, done a thousand clicks. Yes bit chilly, like -3 at Yass this morning and out Leeton way it was 1 overnight and 14 in the day.  I could not find any gf pies out there.  Sad that. Yes, Raymonds fix on Sunday, lol.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 6:56 AM, NSWP said:

Congratulations, Les, on your 50th, and top stars for celebrating.  I am certain beyond all knowledge you were not alone.  Retro motels are all the talking point lately.  They were an exciting destination back in the day...breakfast through the hatch, management's family pets visiting the rooms for a pat and a chat.  So funny, when you look back.  Have a wonderful Sunday evening at Raymond's.  We're back in Canberra now, but we'll definitely be visiting Malua for dinner when we return to the coast.  Speaking of Malua, I think the new Bowling Club's restaurant opens this long weekend...correct?  I don't know what the menu is like, or what the cuisine is.  Anyway, enjoy Raymond's.

Linda

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Congratulations, Les, on your 50th, and top stars for celebrating.  I am certain beyond all knowledge you were not alone.  Retro motels are all the talking point lately.  They were an exciting destination back in the day...breakfast through the hatch, management's family pets visiting the rooms for a pat and a chat.  So funny, when you look back.  Have a wonderful Sunday evening at Raymond's.  We're back in Canberra now, but we'll definitely be visiting Malua for dinner when we return to the coast.  Speaking of Malua, I think the new Bowling Club's restaurant opens this long weekend...correct?  I don't know what the menu is like, or what the cuisine is.  Anyway, enjoy Raymond's.

Linda

Unfortunately Les lost his dear Mary a short while ago, so will be celebrating without her.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Linda

Thank Linda, Dont think the new club is open for a couple of weeks, international cuisine. I am a member there, have the odd bowl, lol.  I have been down and out for a few weeks but getting better, a meet for coffee one day would be fine.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thank Linda, Dont think the new club is open for a couple of weeks, international cuisine. I am a member there, have the odd bowl, lol.  I have been down and out for a few weeks but getting better, a meet for coffee one day would be fine.

You’re a champ🏆  and lots of friends here are cheering for you.  We won’t be down again for a little while;  the house is finally all complete again after 8 months of extensive refurbishment. A leaking  dishwasher  hose dripping away during the almost 4 months of lockdown  late last year left us facing massive mould infestation.  Fortunately, insurance covered most of it but we’ve been back and forth for months, even staying in the Esplanade during site meetings because the house was uninhabitable.   I reckon we’ve aged 8 years in 8 months🤣. Then I think of the poor souls who lost everything in the fires and realise ours is a trivial matter. Our son and his family will be down for the long weekend but we’ll try to get down again soon.  I’ll post on here when, and if you’re free, let’s make ut a date.  Be prepared to talk golf🤣 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

You’re a champ🏆  and lots of friends here are cheering for you.  We won’t be down again for a little while;  the house is finally all complete again after 8 months of extensive refurbishment. A leaking  dishwasher  hose dripping away during the almost 4 months of lockdown  late last year left us facing massive mould infestation.  Fortunately, insurance covered most of it but we’ve been back and forth for months, even staying in the Esplanade during site meetings because the house was uninhabitable.   I reckon we’ve aged 8 years in 8 months🤣. Then I think of the poor souls who lost everything in the fires and realise ours is a trivial matter. Our son and his family will be down for the long weekend but we’ll try to get down again soon.  I’ll post on here when, and if you’re free, let’s make ut a date.  Be prepared to talk golf🤣 

Hard to imagine the amount of damage which was done because of a leaking dishwasher hose.  I knew of a similar case from a leaking toilet in a holiday house.  Good advice was to always turn off the water at holiday houses when you go away.

We had a problem with termites in a second floor bathroom.  Seems they are attracted to water.  A tenant in downstairs unit didn't want to have  to shift from his unit, so just put a door full of termites outside against the external wall.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Hard to imagine the amount of damage which was done because of a leaking dishwasher hose.  I knew of a similar case from a leaking toilet in a holiday house.  Good advice was to always turn off the water at holiday houses when you go away.

We had a problem with termites in a second floor bathroom.  Seems they are attracted to water.  A tenant in downstairs unit didn't want to have  to shift from his unit, so just put a door full of termites outside against the external wall.  

That advice is not only good, it's the advice we've always followed.  We are scrupulous in ensuring water and power are turned off before we leave each time.  Neighbours have told us that they've witnessed people walking their dogs stopping to turn on the water control near our outside tap so their dog can have a drink.  We wouldn't mind quenching doggie thirsts if only the water was turned back off again.  Fortunately the inside walls are masonry (double brick house) so the plaster linings had to be removed to halfway up to the ceilings.  We needed a complete new kitchen, starting from scratch.  New carpets, curtains, and all soft furnishings.  Only the dining table and chairs could be saved, as they were on tiles.  It's not just the visible mould, which eventually turned into dangerous black mould, but the fact that the spores become airborne, so items well away from the water-sodden floor are also affected.  Anyhoo.....all well now.  It makes me understand how the poor people in flood zones have months and months of suffering in their family homes.  We're very fortunate ours is a holiday home, albeit a much-loved one.

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

So sorry to read about your termite problem.  Nasty little things, and they can do a lot of damage before they're detected.

17 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That advice is not only good, it's the advice we've always followed.  We are scrupulous in ensuring water and power are turned off before we leave each time.  Neighbours have told us that they've witnessed people walking their dogs stopping to turn on the water control near our outside tap so their dog can have a drink.  We wouldn't mind quenching doggie thirsts if only the water was turned back off again.  Fortunately the inside walls are masonry (double brick house) so the plaster linings had to be removed to halfway up to the ceilings.  We needed a complete new kitchen, starting from scratch.  New carpets, curtains, and all soft furnishings.  Only the dining table and chairs could be saved, as they were on tiles.  It's not just the visible mould, which eventually turned into dangerous black mould, but the fact that the spores become airborne, so items well away from the water-sodden floor are also affected.  Anyhoo.....all well now.  It makes me understand how the poor people in flood zones have months and months of suffering in their family homes.  We're very fortunate ours is a holiday home, albeit a much-loved one.

Sounds like a huge job before all was well.  My friend in Boston, who lives in Florida during the winter, had a burst water pipe during their absence.  They had to live in a hotel for months, whilst their house was fixed.  Fortunately, the cost was covered by insurance. 

I recall on a driving holiday in the US, the owner of the caravan park said we were lucky to get accommodation that night, as they were turning off the water the next day.  That is where I learnt of burst pipes during winter. 

On 6/1/2022 at 11:36 AM, NSWP said:

I did see a lot of citrus 🍊 orchards today just outside Leeton, they are on the trees and growing. It is a orange and lemon 🍋 growing area around here. No roadside stalls that I saw, but in town there is a big fruit and vegie shop, local produce.

We can finally buy fresher oranges and lemons.  Must have been between orange seasons.  My favourite oranges are from South Australia.  We bought three kilos of oranges at a farm gate in Vic once only to discover we couldn't take them into SA.  So we backed up, ate a few each, then hand squeezed the rest in to an empty ice cream container.  

On 6/1/2022 at 11:09 AM, Oz_Steve said:

IMHO don't buy a pastie anywhere else than Sth Australia.

The drive through bottle shop at the Kingston Hotel have great chunky steak pies. They are made on premises. In the burbs the Erindale cakery bakery does excellent mince pies.

We can buy delicious pasties in Queensland.  In fact, Cornish pasties are my first choice, pie and peas under the lid my second.