re meat pies

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I get them to leave the croutons off. Had it many times on Princess in Mdr and crown grill.

I sometimes make my own onion soup, but cheat..packet of continental french onion simmer soup, slice a large onion 🧅 into it and some gf croutons you can buy at Coles. Lubbly jubbly.

I think my recipe has bread blended into the mix as a thickener. It's a fair while since I last made it so I might be getting mixed up with some other recipe.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Crikey Leigh you do a lot of cooking for your family. Take a break.

Chunky_Soup_Pea__Ham_Front-767x767.thumb.jpg.d7a87aa5e2d70330cb3a8ff15f5bef29.jpg

😀My husband makes the pea and ham soup at our place Les. The only tin soup I will have these days is tomato. And always have a packet of chicken noodle soup in the pantry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, possum52 said:

I have just made a pot of pumpkin soup using a butternut from our garden. I added a little celery, carrot, potato and onion, garlic and some nutmeg along with the normal seasonings. Just waiting for it to cool a little to blend. It is going to be quite thick.

Exactly the recipe I use, and made a huge pot last week, mainly for our friends who are recovering from Covid they caught on a road trip.  Murphy’s law.  The only difference is that I roast the pumpkin first.  Really enhances the flavour.  Eady to freeze in batches, too.  Enjoy yours😋

7 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Exactly the recipe I use, and made a huge pot last week, mainly for our friends who are recovering from Covid they caught on a road trip.  Murphy’s law.  The only difference is that I roast the pumpkin first.  Really enhances the flavour.  Eady to freeze in batches, too.  Enjoy yours😋

I sometimes roast the pumpkin and carrot, it depends on how much time I have. It does add flavour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

IMO, It is not edible soup if it is cold

You've obviously never had a seriously good gazpacho. It's delicious!

I wouldn't eat any of the cold soups on cruise ships though.

I haven't made pumpkin soup for ages. I must make some again soon.

A couple of weeks ago I made a huge batch of lanb and barley soup, using lamb shanks as the base. I roasted them slightly then slow simmered them in water with onion, celery, carrot and parsley to make stock. I chopped /grated onion, celery, carrot, swede, and parsnip then sweated that down in olive oil, added the strained stock and barley and simmered that until the barley was cooked. Then I added the shredded lamb from the shanks, and seasoning.

It's also nice using meaty beef bones as the base, usually osso buco that have plenty of meat on them. 

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

What is in gazstapo soup anyway that it is cold.

The common main ingredients are tomato, cucumber and bread but it is less about the ingredients and more the region of origin that makes it a cold dish as Andalusia has mainly warm weather so the people there eat gazpacho as a cool refreshing dish to beat the summer heat. When we travelled around Spain we had various gazpacho and when done well they are pretty delicious. 

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A couple of weeks ago I made a huge batch of lanb and barley soup, using lamb shanks as the base. I roasted them slightly then slow simmered them in water with onion, celery, carrot and parsley to make stock. I chopped /grated onion, celery, carrot, swede, and parsnip then sweated that down in olive oil, added the strained stock and barley and simmered that until the barley was cooked. Then I added the shredded lamb from the shanks, and seasoning.

It's also nice using meaty beef bones as the base, usually osso buco that have plenty of meat on them. 

I have never made meat based soup, but make lamb shanks and osso buco in the crock pot in winter. I'm sure I had a lot of hogget stews as a child and I recall a barley soup I didn't like. 

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I have never made meat based soup, but make lamb shanks and osso buco in the crock pot in winter. I'm sure I had a lot of hogget stews as a child and I recall a barley soup I didn't like. 

Too hot for hot soup in Qld. I just got up, 2C overnight here down south.

Edited by NSWP

39 minutes ago, NSWP said:

39 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We are freezing in Qld.  6-19c sunny today.  Even the dogs have hot water bottles to keep warm!

Pumpkin soup went down well.  Will make another batch today as I have another pumpkin.  bruschetta for breakfast.

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

Went to Heatherbrae at Sutton Forest a couple of years ago, expensive and pies 🥧 not great, i had a gf one, $10 from memory, all they had was veg with lentils, gross, in the bin.

Unfortunately gf never seem as good but I think I have just learnt to adjust. Heatherbrae have had steak pie when I have gone, both Sutton Forest and in the Hunter area. I just miss apple and blueberry pies. 

39 minutes ago, kate59 said:

Unfortunately gf never seem as good but I think I have just learnt to adjust. Heatherbrae have had steak pie when I have gone, both Sutton Forest and in the Hunter area. I just miss apple and blueberry pies. 

Few pastry chefs can get the gf pastry rate. In the past 11 years since coeliac hit me, I have tried many.  No bakery in Batemans Bay has gf pies. Sad that.☹️ That is why I have buy the frozen ones, or travel 45 minutes to Haydens Pies @ Ulladulla and get a few. They are good but pricey.

th.jpg.bfde842d9d2e938da849c9e0755eb9d8.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Few pastry chefs can get the gf pastry rate. In the past 11 years since coeliac hit me, I have tried many.  No bakery in Batemans Bay has gf pies. Sad that.☹️ That is why I have buy the frozen ones, or travel 45 minutes to Haydens Pies @ Ulladulla and get a few. They are good but pricey.

th.jpg.bfde842d9d2e938da849c9e0755eb9d8.jpg

Thanks, for info. I go down the Bay about twice a year for a few days. As a child I spent my holidays at South Durras, where I developed my appreciation of nature. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

What is in gazstapo soup anyway that it is cold.

This is the Gazpacho recipe I use. It's from a cookbook, Loukie's Kitchen, by Loukie Werle. 

My extra fancy twist for special occasions is to put a small pile of crabmeat in the middle of each bowl, then pour the chilled soup around the crab at the table. Very MasterCheffy! 🤣

20220608_112735.thumb.jpg.37dadb8b2939bc5e4fe9306e90abe75a.jpg 

20220608_112755.thumb.jpg.31f2dbfbcb21948c1cdcffb5b6c41d3d.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is the Gazpacho recipe I use. It's from a cookbook, Loukie's Kitchen, by Loukie Werle. 

My extra fancy twist for special occasions is to put a small pile of crabmeat in the middle of each bowl, then pour the chilled soup around the crab at the table. Very MasterCheffy! 🤣

20220608_112735.thumb.jpg.37dadb8b2939bc5e4fe9306e90abe75a.jpg 

20220608_112755.thumb.jpg.31f2dbfbcb21948c1cdcffb5b6c41d3d.jpg

Reading this recipe which looks delicious says I should try cold soup one day.

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I made beef, vegetable and barley last week Julie. I buy soup bones from Woolworths which always seem to have lots of meat on them and not too fatty. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I made beef, vegetable and barley last week Julie. I buy soup bones from Woolworths which always seem to have lots of meat on them and not too fatty. 

I haven't tried those. I'll look out for them next time I'm in a soup making mood. I don't think I'll be doing that before our upcoming trip though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sounds delicious, and just perfect for the cold winter we're enduring here in Canberra.  I must try your recipe.