re meat pies

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

How is this for a breakfast pie?  Meat in gravy, egg, cheese and bacon on top, lubbly jubbly.

download.png

Wait staff ready to assist with your dining experience. Don’t forget to tip.

5605E49C-3098-4BE6-A5B7-DB917960F8C4.webp.9a466244af6e74521dbe7c2fa73a56b9.webp

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Always thought it strange that you pay tips before you receive the service.  

Ah yes there is a difference between "Tips" and "Gratuities"

TIPS stands for To Insure Proper Service and are given up front, as a bribe as it were. There is a great line in a movie starring Dustin Hoffman. It is set in the 1920s, Hoffman plays an American Journalist visiting the UK. As he enters an establishment he says "Would it be considered gauche if I offered you this to insure the best possible service?" as he slips a bank note to the person being bribed.

Gratuities are given after service as a thankyou for excellent service, unfortunately in North America and other places they have become expected no matter how good or bad the service is.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

TIPS stands for To Insure Proper Service and are given up front, as a bribe as it were. There is a great line in a movie starring Dustin Hoffman. It is set in the 1920s, Hoffman plays an American Journalist visiting the UK. As he enters an establishment he says "Would it be considered gauche if I offered you this to insure the best possible service?" as he slips a bank note to the person being bribed.

Gratuities are given after service as a thankyou for excellent service, unfortunately in North America and other places they have become expected no matter how good or bad the service is.

Thank you.  That is interesting.  Being an Australian where the giving of tips is a foreign concept, I've always been fascinated with the custom.  

34 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you.  That is interesting.  Being an Australian where the giving of tips is a foreign concept, I've always been fascinated with the custom.  

Actually "TIPS" are rarely done anymore (usually to get a good table in a busy trendy restaurant. Gratuities are expected, almost demanded even for the most mediocre of service. I think I would rather pay more for the food and have the restaurant pay their staff a living wage. I think that wait staff often prefer the gratuity system, in BC the minimum wage is $15.00/hr. so if they are serving 4 tables and they turn over each table every 45 minutes (think normal restaurant not fine dining) and each table leaves an $8.00 gratuity that is $32.00 plus the $15.00 minimum wage. Yes these gratuities are split up among those that don't receive gratuities.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Actually "TIPS" are rarely done anymore (usually to get a good table in a busy trendy restaurant. Gratuities are expected, almost demanded even for the most mediocre of service. I think I would rather pay more for the food and have the restaurant pay their staff a living wage. I think that wait staff often prefer the gratuity system, in BC the minimum wage is $15.00/hr. so if they are serving 4 tables and they turn over each table every 45 minutes (think normal restaurant not fine dining) and each table leaves an $8.00 gratuity that is $32.00 plus the $15.00 minimum wage. Yes these gratuities are split up among those that don't receive gratuities.

Yep, minimum adult wage here is a touch over $20 per hour, one reason tipping isn’t near as much of a thing here as in the USA, also why meals might be a bit more expensive.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I detest tipping, here, there and everywhere.  No one ever tipped me, I would have ended up with the sack and time in the 'big house.'👮‍♂️😬

th.jpg.b6200b1929e46f287e36ba4751a31a59.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

You might want to add Daily Service Charge (DSC) to the list. Had someone on CC correct me telling me officially on cruise ships it is not a gratuity or a tip but a DSC😂

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

You might want to add Daily Service Charge (DSC) to the list. Had someone on CC correct me telling me officially on cruise ships it is not a gratuity or a tip but a DSC😂

Well they have to come up with new "P" correct terms, the one being bandied about most is "Crew Appreciation" sounds less demeaning than TIPS or Gratuities apparently.

• Like 1

Richie's Bakery Tewantin -  What a find!  We spent $50 on traditional Cornish Pasties, gourmet bread, cakes, slices, Portuguese tarts, and muffins. They are located at the back of a garage so not easy to find.  

richiesbakery.com.au

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 3:27 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Well they have to come up with new "P" correct terms, the one being bandied about most is "Crew Appreciation" sounds less demeaning than TIPS or Gratuities apparently.

I don’t care what they call it, I don’t like it. I paid for a cruise that advertises for service, room cleaning etc and expect it all to be included in the price I am paying not some additional near enough to compulsory costs.

So glad they did away with it on ships sailing here. And first cruise it was never mentioned anywhere that between us we would be hit for an extra couple of hundred bucks once on board.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I don’t care what they call it, I don’t like it. I paid for a cruise that advertises for service, room cleaning etc and expect it all to be included in the price I am paying not some additional near enough to compulsory costs.

So glad they did away with it on ships sailing here. And first cruise it was never mentioned anywhere that between us we would be hit for an extra couple of hundred bucks once on board.

I don't like it.  I feel uncomfortable tipping people.  I also don't like the attitude of some people who expect preferential treatment when they tip in advance..  I also don't like when cruise lines say "no tipping" then leave a box for tips out as you leave.  I think you have to be born to it!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 5:09 AM, MMDown Under said:

Richie's Bakery Tewantin -  What a find!  We spent $50 on traditional Cornish Pasties, gourmet bread, cakes, slices, Portuguese tarts, and muffins. They are located at the back of a garage so not easy to find.  

richiesbakery.com.au

I'll have to remember that find.  Do you need a password?