re meat pies

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For an average sized suburb, we have 3 pie shops. A nice Barrington Bakery Cheese & Bacon pie for lunch today

Lots of Barrington Bakeries popping up, many in old Darby’s shops

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Lots of Barrington Bakeries popping up, many in old Darby’s shops

Yes, I noticed that, which is the case for this one too. They are a bit more than the old Darby $1 pie, but the gravy is a lot nicer too. 

I wish Costco did pies, so we could buy them by the 100. 😉

Costco has a lovely chicken pie here. It is a family sized pie for about $10.00 I think I posted a picture of one at one time. They are quite large and an excellent value. The Italian pies used to be rectangular but they are round now. Unfortunately they all have tomato sauce so Lynn can't have it. We order pizza from a couple of places and for Lynn's pizza we hold the tomato sauce and use garlic butter instead.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arxcards said:

Yes, I noticed that, which is the case for this one too. They are a bit more than the old Darby $1 pie, but the gravy is a lot nicer too. 

I wish Costco did pies, so we could buy them by the 100. 😉

I was never a big fan of Darbys $1 pies but prefer a chunky pie to one with mince and would frequently get one of the $2 chunky and if we were having visitors a handful of their $1 cakes and slices went a long way, we’d cut them in half so folk could have a variety. Also their pasties were pretty good value, we go to Thornton a fair bit and pretty sure the pie shop these is now a Barrintons (well it was anyway) and everything I have had from them has been OK.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I was never a big fan of Darbys $1 pies but prefer a chunky pie to one with mince and would frequently get one of the $2 chunky and if we were having visitors a handful of their $1 cakes and slices went a long way, we’d cut them in half so folk could have a variety. Also their pasties were pretty good value, we go to Thornton a fair bit and pretty sure the pie shop these is now a Barrintons (well it was anyway) and everything I have had from them has been OK.

Yes, the Thornton shopping centre one is now Barringtons. There is also another on the highway next door to Subway which also used to be Darby's, but is now Thornton pies. I can't remember what bakery they source from, but some of their cakes come from Thompsons. The 3rd one is next to the Puma servo, and that is Ridgey Didge pies. When it comes to variety, they have just about everything, and their Ned Kelly pie is a meal unto itself. Not sure if they have a mention here earlier.

I liked the $2 (or 6 for $10) Darby's better too. Sadly the prices meant they had to sell a squillion of them when they started to pay shopping centre rents.

26 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes, the Thornton shopping centre one is now Barringtons. There is also another on the highway next door to Subway which also used to be Darby's, but is now Thornton pies. I can't remember what bakery they source from, but some of their cakes come from Thompsons. The 3rd one is next to the Puma servo, and that is Ridgey Didge pies. When it comes to variety, they have just about everything, and their Ned Kelly pie is a meal unto itself. Not sure if they have a mention here earlier.

I liked the $2 (or 6 for $10) Darby's better too. Sadly the prices meant they had to sell a squillion of them when they started to pay shopping centre rents.

Yeah bit of a fan of Ridgy Didge, though when I had one a week or two back thought it wasn’t really up to scratch. We must live close to each other, we are in Ashtonfield. 

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah bit of a fan of Ridgy Didge, though when I had one a week or two back thought it wasn’t really up to scratch. We must live close to each other, we are in Ashtonfield. 

Yes. Thornton is close. I agree on Ridgey Didge. I haven't bought one for a while.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Likewise

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Likewise

Okay, now you all have me confused.  I have been cooking Italian cuisine all my married life.  What on earth are Italian pies?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Pizza

Pizza pie?

Thanks, it's what I suspected.  Pizza pie is a very American expression, but whatever you want to call it, just never plonk pineapple on it.  That'll start something😉

Sunday, I bought a steak and mushroom pie and a pork and fennel sausage roll at the HOTA Markets.  The pie was so vile I gave it to the dogs.  Seems I didn't see the "peppered" steak and mushroom pie in the front. I like pepper but not so much that it made the pie uneatable.  The sausage roll was delicious.  They also sold persimmon donuts, which was something different.  I'll stick to My favourite food at the HOTA Markets, which is Japanese.