re meat pies

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

My wife and I also had that experience in Japan a few years ago with a high school group tour although we were surprised at the amount of deep fried Japanese food.

The Asians love KFC.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have a few places we would like to go. "Stans" are not on my list either. Hopefully we can travel more after I retire, Lynn is retiring at the end of the month. I have 2 years to go. We have a cruise next summer on the East coast, then we hope to get to OZ. I think a northern Europe cruise with some extra time in Finland (Lynn has a cousin there). I know Lynn wants to go back to the UK, she spent extended periods there when she was younger. I would like to see more of Europe as well. Of course much of these plans require a good price gotten for our house and being able to put some money away from that sale.

How wonderful for your wife to have a cousin in Finland.  You will have a great time in Finland with their saunas, lakes, etc.  I always love to visit local people who speak the language.  I took a neighbour back to visit her elderly relatives scattered around Poland.  It was an experience to remember with everyone speaking Polish.  Each family put on a banquet of delicious home cooked Polish food and home made alcohol.  You could spend a lifetime exploring Europe.  When you are researching cruising Northern Europe consider Hurtigruten and Fred.Olsen who come from that Region.  I have cruised with both. 

3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Judges have just announced that the best meat pie in Australia can be found at a bakery in Whittlesea, about 50ks north of Melbourne.  

Which judges may I ask?  Wherever you drive around country Australia, every little town has won the BEST PIE Competition.  So us punters stop and try them!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have a few places we would like to go. "Stans" are not on my list either. Hopefully we can travel more after I retire, Lynn is retiring at the end of the month. I have 2 years to go. We have a cruise next summer on the East coast, then we hope to get to OZ. I think a northern Europe cruise with some extra time in Finland (Lynn has a cousin there). I know Lynn wants to go back to the UK, she spent extended periods there when she was younger. I would like to see more of Europe as well. Of course much of these plans require a good price gotten for our house and being able to put some money away from that sale.

The Stan's are on my list of would like to go to but are not on the must do list. 

Btw, Turkmenistan is off most 'Stan' packages now do to the unrest there.

44 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Which judges may I ask?  Wherever you drive around country Australia, every little town has won the BEST PIE Competition.  So us punters stop and try them!

It is the Great Aussie Pie Competition Marion  - 

'A classic meat pie from a humble bakery has been crowned the best in Australia.

Whittlesea Bakehouse, about 40km northeast from Melbourne’s CBD, took the lead at the 2022 Great Aussie Pie Competition 2022 after claiming the coveted Best Plain Meat Pie title.

The family bakery’s plain mince pie beat out stiff competition from 1500 entrants across the country to take out the number one spot.' 

Great Aussie Pie Comp Judges and Results of Great Aussie Pie Comp

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It is the Great Aussie Pie Competition Marion  - 

'A classic meat pie from a humble bakery has been crowned the best in Australia.

Whittlesea Bakehouse, about 40km northeast from Melbourne’s CBD, took the lead at the 2022 Great Aussie Pie Competition 2022 after claiming the coveted Best Plain Meat Pie title.

The family bakery’s plain mince pie beat out stiff competition from 1500 entrants across the country to take out the number one spot.' 

Great Aussie Pie Comp Judges and Results of Great Aussie Pie Comp

Biased, the judges are all Mexicans, lol. 90% Vic entries.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

Now, now Uncle Les …

This is the OFFICIAL Great Aussie Pie Competition. Not some minor local comp. 

No, you mean the Victorian pie eating comp, young Adrian, no NSW or Qld entries.lol.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

No, you mean the Victorian pie eating comp, young Adrian, no NSW or Qld entries.lol.

Perhaps look at the individual day results, plenty of NSW and QLD entries. Maybe Victoria just has better bakeries which make the best pies and sausage rolls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Perhaps look at the individual day results, plenty of NSW and QLD entries. Maybe Victoria just has better bakeries which make the best pies and sausage rolls.

I didn't realise it was THE Official Pie Competition,, Leigh.  On my last trip to NSW, I couldn't find a Cornish Pastie, or any Pastie anywhere.  Every decent bakery in Qld. has a wide variety of pies, pasties and sausage rolls.  Mind you, when you are travelling long distances in all States, they all taste pretty good.

Leigh, guess where I just enjoyed this marvellous cream tea?  We will return for a tour before Thursday, when Prideaux Manor closes for the season.  All tours booked out today.  Spent ages discussing family history with a family member, the niece of Peter and his wife.  She loves Australia, and spent time in Canberra visiting a cousin (maybe one of the Canberra Prideaux family members you mentioned).  The closed deer herd (such beautiful animals) can be traced back to 420AD.  

8A83464E-E19B-4C28-AA2F-439B76BBB01C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Leigh, guess where I just enjoyed this marvellous cream tea?  We will return for a tour before Thursday, when Prideaux Manor closes for the season.  All tours booked out today.  Spent ages discussing family history with a family member, the niece of Peter and his wife.  She loves Australia, and spent time in Canberra visiting a cousin (maybe one of the Canberra Prideaux family members you mentioned).  The closed deer herd (such beautiful animals) can be traced back to 420AD.  

Yum - they look like the real deal.  My mouth is watering just thinking about my next UK cream tea. 

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I didn't realise it was THE Official Pie Competition,, Leigh.  On my last trip to NSW, I couldn't find a Cornish Pastie, or any Pastie anywhere.  Every decent bakery in Qld. has a wide variety of pies, pasties and sausage rolls.  Mind you, when you are travelling long distances in all States, they all taste pretty good.

Batehaven Bakery near me often has Cornish Pasties for those who wish to imbibe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Linda, the scones look wonderful. Enjoy your tour of Prideaux Place. That's great that you had a chat with Peter's niece. It looks such an interesting estate to visit and seeing the deer would be lovely. Prideaux Place has featured at least twice on Antiques Roadshow. Hope the remainder of your trip goes well.

Edited by possum52

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

Linda, the scones look wonderful. Enjoy your tour of Prideaux Place. That's great that you had a chat with Peter's niece. It looks such an interesting estate to visit and seeing the deer would be lovely. Prideaux Place has featured at least twice on Antiques Roadshow. Hope the remainder of your trip goes well.

Thanks, Leigh.  You were both in our thoughts during our visit.  We leave Padstow tomorrow, sadly, but not before we enjoy a Cornish pastie today😊

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yum - they look like the real deal.  My mouth is watering just thinking about my next UK cream tea. 

They were scrumptious, Marion.  Very filling, though.  Just as well we skipped lunch after Cornish hen’ breakfast eggs🤪

• Like 1