re meat pies

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I've heard of whitebait fritters in NZ.

In my opinion most of the whitebait fritters sold in NZ should be called whitebait omelets. They are heavy on the egg and light on whitebait. All you taste is slightly fishy egg. The way I make them is to make up the fritter mix then add just enough of it to the whitebait to hold them together. That way you taste the whitebait. 

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In my opinion most of the whitebait fritters sold in NZ should be called whitebait omelets. They are heavy on the egg and light on whitebait. All you taste is slightly fishy egg. The way I make them is to make up the fritter mix then add just enough of it to the whitebait to hold them together. That way you taste the whitebait. 

Mine were delicious with a lot of whitebait, but it was a long while ago.  I hadn't tasted whitebait prior to that experience.  Your home made fritters sound delicious. 

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I hadn't heard of potato fritters?  Is the potato grated?

Potato fritter is probably the correct term for deep frying a fruit or veg something that has been battered. Just never seen them called that, unless they have corn, pineapple or banana inside.

There is no way of getting wiki to describe definitions of the history of Australian gastronomy though. Devon is another example. For all the different names it has around the country, it used to be called empire here. The amount of times a pensioner will ask for empire at the Woolies deli, and the new girl will look panicked coming out of the coldroom until someone sets her straight.

I had a good laugh at this, as it seems we like to laugh at ourselves. 

https://www.abc.net.au/education/four-corners-devon-polony-stras-or-fritz/13763622

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Potato fritter is probably the correct term for deep frying a fruit or veg something that has been battered. Just never seen them called that, unless they have corn, pineapple or banana inside.

There is no way of getting wiki to describe definitions of the history of Australian gastronomy though. Devon is another example. For all the different names it has around the country, it used to be called empire here. The amount of times a pensioner will ask for empire at the Woolies deli, and the new girl will look panicked coming out of the coldroom until someone sets her straight.

https://www.abc.net.au/education/four-corners-devon-polony-stras-or-fritz/13763622

Thanks for the laugh.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I saw that earlier in the year. Where is here Geoff? I've never heard of empire. I grew up in south west Victoria and devon was called stras and potato slices fried in batter are called potato cakes. There are many examples of different words for the same items throughout Australia. I saved this website ages ago with explanations of different words.  Some may find it interesting.

Australian Word Map 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I saw that earlier in the year. Where is here Geoff? I've never heard of empire. I grew up in south west Victoria and devon was called stras and potato slices fried in batter are called potato cakes. There are many examples of different words for the same items throughout Australia. I saved this website ages ago with explanations of different words.  Some may find it interesting.

Australian Word Map 

Here is Newcastle area.

I would think the Empire connection would likely have travelled with migrant steel workers and coal mines from Northern England, and/or a local smallgoods maker branded it as Empire to be patriotic in war days.

Luncheon meat was also popular as a term for it when I was young, most popular for school lunches with a splosh of tomato sauce added. I seem to recall that I mostly just ate the tomato sauce sandwich, and the devon slice usually ended up in the bin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Here is Newcastle area.

I would think the Empire connection would likely have travelled with migrant steel workers and coal mines from Northern England, and/or a local smallgoods maker branded it as Empire to be patriotic in war days.

Luncheon meat was also popular as a term for it when I was young, most popular for school lunches with a splosh of tomato sauce added. I seem to recall that I mostly just ate the tomato sauce sandwich, and the devon slice usually ended up in the bin.

I remember it well { Devon }.😱

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

And in NZ it used to be just called luncheon sausage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And in NZ it used to be just called luncheon sausage.

How is dinner tonight? Can you suggest a wine pairing for devon? lol.

No doubt, they will have something similar in the buffet, or at least some mortadella.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

How is dinner tonight? Can you suggest a wine pairing for devon? lol.

No doubt, they will have something similar in the buffet, or at least some mortadella.

Probably the Masterpeace rosè but it's a bit too good for devon. Maybe one of the boring beers. 🤣

Dinner was great, as usual, although the mains were far too big. We are eating far too well on this cruise. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Or some of that Duc De Valmer that was delivered to Julie's cabin.

We were only in a mini, so only scored a glass each - but the bottle looked better than that.

We're in a Club Class Mini. I was quite surprised to get a whole bottle, we only got a glass each in a suite on our last cruise. We also got two half bottles of Giesen wines - a Sauv Blanc and a Merlot. Giesen is a reasonably good NZ winery. I haven't had their wines for years though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're in a Club Class Mini. I was quite surprised to get a whole bottle, we only got a glass each in a suite on our last cruise. We also got two half bottles of Giesen wines - a Sauv Blanc and a Merlot. Giesen is a reasonably good NZ winery. I haven't had their wines for years though.

We actually enjoyed a glass with dinner tonight 

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Do you keep same cabin for the next cruise Julie.?

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It will be interesting to see if we get the Giesen wines in November.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday appears to be pie day in the buffet onboard Coral Princess today.

20220916_135352.thumb.jpg.c6f83a5d2d7f03882f38ab00e4832632.jpg

Above: the pie at the front is a very delicious seafood pie, the other was a spinach and feta pie which, although very nice, would have been better as a filo pastry triangle.

Below: one of these was chicken and leek, the other was beef and stout.

20220916_135807.thumb.jpg.d63fee141ed929dd82099bedb89106e5.jpg

• Like 2