re meat pies

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

PAG now owns Patties (Four'n' Twenty) and while it has it's headquarters in Hong Kong it is not just Chinese owned, also Japaneese and German among others. It has offices in 9 other locations around the world including Sydney

I'd any large food company in Australia,  still Australian? 

It is even hard to know which Australian owned companies keep all their money in Australia. Overseas finance of an Aussie owned company still flows money out of the country in the same way overseas ownership does.

For pies, Garlo's & Mrs Macs would appear to be 100% Aussie owned. Taken a step further, if your local bakery does a good pie, it is even better to keep your money in your community.

Like most though, I am a hypocrite. After I eat my 100% Aussie pie, I sometimes wash it down with Norco Aussie iced coffee, sometimes with multinational Coke. Then drive to work in my Japanese car to help produce Aussie steel products for a foreign owned company, in order to save up for cruises with overseas companies that almost exclusively employ overseas staff.

I agree, Four N Twenty matters little in the grand scheme of things. If you like their pies, keep eating them, and support the Aussie people that make them.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, RSS from SF said:

---

Hi all,

For those of you who like a good tomato sauce on your meat pie (and perhaps sausage roll), could you please let me know your current favorite tomato sauce for your pie?

Lower Salt?

And regardless of your favorite, is there on the list below that you might recommend
(if looking for lower sodium items for just an 8 day visit 🤔:

https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-drink/groceries/sauces-and-dressings/buying-guides/tomato-sauce

(29 October 2019)

image.png.8133d3d93a4251bd1b047999b8accb4a.png

[We'll soon be in Sydney for 8 days (The Rocks), certainly sampling many meat pies on our visit.]

-- Thanks in advance for any of your responses!

---

Are you in an apartment where you can self cater? Otherwise if you buy a pie at a shop/cafe it is luck of the draw what sauce the shop uses, certainly no choice of brand.

That said, we use Beerenberg but that is not low salt.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Are you in an apartment where you can self cater? Otherwise if you buy a pie at a shop/cafe it is luck of the draw what sauce the shop uses, certainly no choice of brand.

That said, we use Beerenberg but that is not low salt.

---

Yes we will have a kitchen, but without an oven; there is a two-burner hob and microwave.  So if the pies need to be warmed up I figure I'll try the microwave-paper-towel-covered-pie-til-warm (then) toast-the-pie-top-and-bottom-on-non-stick-pan method.

So yes, I can pick up sauce at Woolies/Coles/Aldi.

Interesting:  The Choice review I linked above actually said that the Beerenberg sauce in the article is considered low salt and is the lowest of all the sauces reviewed.

---

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

Yes we will have a kitchen, but without an oven; there is a two-burner hob and microwave.  So if the pies need to be warmed up I figure I'll try the microwave-paper-towel-covered-pie-til-warm (then) toast-the-pie-top-and-bottom-on-non-stick-pan method.

Interesting:  The Choice review I linked above actually said that the Beerenberg sauce in the article is considered low salt and is the lowest of all the sauces reviewed.

---

I think the Choice review was only targeting regular tomato sauces, as even Beerenberg doesn't market theirs as low salt. Some brands also have a reduced salt version, although that is also relative to their normal product, and not necessarily low salt. Masterfoods reduced salt is 606mg/100ml compared to their regular version which is 828mg/100ml. Their "reduced salt" version is still near double of Beerenberg.

608712.thumb.jpg.4190c71f3beeb5b1b599dae18f95d2b3.jpg

• Thanks 1

One lunch time on my just completed Coral Princess cruise, they had had Aussie pie day in Horizon Court, good array of pies, pasties and sausage rolls. No GF ones for Uncle Les, a tear fell upon my rosy cheeks.😪

• Like 4

19 hours ago, arxcards said:

It is even hard to know which Australian owned companies keep all their money in Australia. Overseas finance of an Aussie owned company still flows money out of the country in the same way overseas ownership does.

For pies, Garlo's & Mrs Macs would appear to be 100% Aussie owned. Taken a step further, if your local bakery does a good pie, it is even better to keep your money in your community.

Like most though, I am a hypocrite. After I eat my 100% Aussie pie, I sometimes wash it down with Norco Aussie iced coffee, sometimes with multinational Coke. Then drive to work in my Japanese car to help produce Aussie steel products for a foreign owned company, in order to save up for cruises with overseas companies that almost exclusively employ overseas staff.

I agree, Four N Twenty matters little in the grand scheme of things. If you like their pies, keep eating them, and support the Aussie people that make them.

My criteria is "made in Aust from at least 95% Australian ingredients".  I don't care who owns company but I do care how healthy my food is.  Where I'm staying, ALL the food is organic!!

I was told most of the food on ships was pre bought from USA.  I guess it depends what can be frozen.  However I saw  lots of fresh produce on the wharves.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

One lunch time on my just completed Coral Princess cruise, they had had Aussie pie day in Horizon Court, good array of pies, pasties and sausage rolls. No GF ones for Uncle Les, a tear fell upon my rosy cheeks.😪

That’s a bit pov, Les.  GF is much in demand.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 12:16 AM, RSS from SF said:

---

---

Interesting info on Beerenberg as TBH I have never checked the sodium content. I don't like the flavour of the salt reduced ones at all. Good to hear you have some self-catering in the hotel. It might be considered sacrilege by some but we routinely microwave pies (sit on paper towel) and usually don't even bother trying to crisp the top at all. Possibly it's laziness 🤑

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

I have microwaved them but much prefer to do them in a real oven.

Have you got an airfryer mate? I have one, I defrost the frozen pie in microwave for a couple of minutes then 15 minutes in air fryer on 170. Lubbly Jubbly. Got one in there right now.

694031.jpg.612810217bc7816f82a1cf0520a4246a.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Have you got an airfryer mate? I have one, I defrost the frozen pie in microwave for a couple of minutes then 15 minutes in air fryer on 170. Lubbly Jubbly. Got one in there right now.

Haven’t splurged on one yet, we were hoping to do some road trips in coming years (maybe even a small van) and were looking at one, but more fractures in the back look to rule that out for the foreseeable future, and Mrs G says no room for one until we redo the kitchen.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Haven’t splurged on one yet, we were hoping to do some road trips in coming years (maybe even a small van) and were looking at one, but more fractures in the back look to rule that out for the foreseeable future, and Mrs G says no room for one until we redo the kitchen.

So often zap them in the micro then either in a preheated oven or under a hot grill to firm up. Or if time isn’t an issue just in the oven and a tin of mushy peas. Though chiko rolls are on special this week so they may join some mushy peas tonight.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

That's the way to go air fryer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Any pies on Oceana? Enjoy your cruise

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thanks, Les.  We are indeed enjoying this cruise.  Just gliding through Stockholm’s beautiful archipelago to dock soon.  No pies so far, and all these posts are making me homesick😋

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Get one from KMart, around $100. Best thing since sliced bread.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Awesome way to burn your bacon too.

Yeah Geoff, like on Coral Princess, gross nuked, cremated deep fried streaky bacon. I stuck with the ham steaks. The nuked yankee stuff should have stayed in the Land of the Free.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Gluten free sliced bread of course.🥖🥖

The gf bread on Coral last week was Horrible. So I bought a Helgas gf loaf in Coles in Melbourne and kept it in cabin fridge, took it to buffet and mdr. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

The gf bread on Coral last week was Horrible. So I bought a Helgas gf loaf in Coles in Melbourne and kept it in cabin fridge, took it to buffet and mdr. 

That was a brilliant idea.  

I only buy hot pies direct from pie shops so hadn't thought about heating up pies.  However I was tempted by a big slice of Spanakopita at Kings Cross markets yesterday - heated it in oven yesterday, then in microwave today.  

• Like 1