re meat pies

22 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Did you enjoy your Coral P cruise, Les?  We were thinking of you😊

Was not that great, rough seas, bit of rain and two missed ports. Three days stuck in Melbourne. Not comfortable cruising on my own, despite some friendly faces on board.

I doubt I will do any more. No value either paying the high  solo prices, $300 per diem is a bit rich for me.

I trust you are enjoying Oceana, Linda and M.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

I completely understand your sentiments, Les.  Some souls are quite content sailing solo;  we have quite a few on this cruise.  Others are used to sharing experiences with their life partners, and like you, would find it challenging to make the switch.  I would probably fit into that category, so I do understand.  Maybe after a little more time goes by, you might feel like trying cruising again.

Thanks for asking how we’re enjoying our sailing.  This cruise has been a wondrous experience, probably because my expectations weren’t high after Covid’s destructive rampage through the industry.  The cuisine is as enticing as ever, the entertainment is first class, and our accommodation is very comfortable.  Julie, the Cruise Director, is Tasmanian, and quite a dynamo.  She runs the show with an iron fist, but possesses a dry Aussie wit.  Very funny girl, and good company on the couple of occasions she’s asked us to share a drink with her.  We disembark on Saturday in Portsmouth, and we’ll be sorry to leave.

Looking forward to catching up again at The Bay after our return in November.

Take care…

Linda and Mario

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

I completely understand your sentiments, Les.  Some souls are quite content sailing solo;  we have quite a few on this cruise.  Others are used to sharing experiences with their life partners, and like you, would find it challenging to make the switch.  I would probably fit into that category, so I do understand.  Maybe after a little more time goes by, you might feel like trying cruising again.

Thanks for asking how we’re enjoying our sailing.  This cruise has been a wondrous experience, probably because my expectations weren’t high after Covid’s destructive rampage through the industry.  The cuisine is as enticing as ever, the entertainment is first class, and our accommodation is very comfortable.  Julie, the Cruise Director, is Tasmanian, and quite a dynamo.  She runs the show with an iron fist, but possesses a dry Aussie wit.  Very funny girl, and good company on the couple of occasions she’s asked us to share a drink with her.  We disembark on Saturday in Portsmouth, and we’ll be sorry to leave.

Looking forward to catching up again at The Bay after our return in November.

Take care…

Linda and Mario

Delighted to hear you have enjoyed your cruise.  The Tasmanian cruise director must have enjoyed having you on board. Nice to have Cornwall to look Forward to. 

I am researching cruises from England to combine with a visit to England next year for the Coronation.  So have been with you in the Baltics as well as Norway.  Choices, choices. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I visited a significant cultural icon in Perth this afternoon. Photos on the phone do not do it justice. 

0B61802B-0673-4E9F-AC21-012638BE74C0.thumb.jpeg.c45cc66a939b3b7ac281b2f4653b6a82.jpeg

8EF08209-56A7-45F1-8A42-6D34417D6147.thumb.jpeg.4eb77ad34198e5557f36eb296ae38405.jpeg

DE1CE87D-E5F9-47DF-90D0-8BE8225CB89C.thumb.jpeg.4ad1f197500124e1ff9ba357c2109a8a.jpeg

good to see you finally got to Perth!  Is this your first visit since Covid?

And the story of the photos are?

34 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

good to see you finally got to Perth!  Is this your first visit since Covid?

And the story of the photos are?

Yes, first time since Dec 2019. Very good to see mum and other family members again. Mum has aged significantly. 

the photos are of the main hq and bakery buildings of the Mrs Macs pie business. Often mentioned in this thread. It was founded in Perth in 1954 as Bakewell Pies 

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Yes, first time since Dec 2019. Very good to see mum and other family members again. Mum has aged significantly. 

the photos are of the main hq and bakery buildings of the Mrs Macs pie business. Often mentioned in this thread. It was founded in Perth in 1954 as Bakewell Pies 

The pie experts on this thread may know that.  I only buy pies hot from local bakeries.  

Glad you got to see your mother and other family members.  I was afraid to ask in case you went home for bad news.  How old is your mum?  She must be delighted to see you.  I think we all have aged significantly, especially seniors. 

(BTW My daughter, who did her Masters at Melbourne Uni on line during Covid, is implementing her thesis at work, so it wasn't a waste.)

• Like 1

Mum is just going on 92. Her various carers tell me how excited she was when I told her I was on the way. 

I was discussing with my sister who lives in Perth about independent living and moving into residential care. She hates the idea, but secretly told me that she had put herself on the list for the place dad had lived his last while. 

very good news about your daughter. As a academic it was the type of news we always appreciated about our graduates. 

6 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Mum is just going on 92. Her various carers tell me how excited she was when I told her I was on the way. 

I was discussing with my sister who lives in Perth about independent living and moving into residential care. She hates the idea, but secretly told me that she had put herself on the list for the place dad had lived his last while. 

very good news about your daughter. As a academic it was the type of news we always appreciated about our graduates. 

Tell me about it, my son and daughter are pushing me hard to go into a retirement village.I am fighting them.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Tell me about it, my son and daughter are pushing me hard to go into a retirement village.I am fighting them.

I think a better option when someone needs care is to have someone live in.  At least initially, which is what happened with members of my family.  

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Cheers mate - hoping for the boys to win.

our sons & I are going to the game to cheer them on!

Must be nice to go to a Grand Final with your sons.  Do you all barrack for the same team?  Enjoy!

The blue and cold bunting and balloons have gone up in Parramatta.  I told someone I supported Cowboys and she said they nearly died at the end because they thought they had lost. 

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think a better option when someone needs care is to have someone live in.  At least initially, which is what happened with members of my family.  

No way I could live with my son and daughter, even for a short while. I would not be responsible for my actions.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

No way I could live with my son and daughter, even for a short while. I would not be responsible for my actions.

No, the carers were both wonderful women, on the pension, who lived in, with food and accommodation provided. One didn't drive so my cousin organised for people from her church to take her mother for a drive most Sundays,  Sure beats commercial aged care nowadays.  Used to be fine years ago, but 5 star with a baby grand piano doesn't make up for no care and service,  Being brought up by my grandmother, I have visited nursing homes my whole life so have noticed the decline.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Our so just sent a photo of the deluge.  He’s at The Bay this weekend.

Been raining for a week, heaps of water around. Batehaven bakery will run out of 🥧, still a lot of people down here. Crazy that several cafes and restaurants are closing Monday, dont want to pay penalty rates. They will lose a lot of business.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Been raining for a week, heaps of water around. Batehaven bakery will run out of 🥧, still a lot of people down here. Crazy that several cafes and restaurants are closing Monday, dont want to pay penalty rates. They will lose a lot of business.

Surely they would do good business on long weekend.  Workers who give up their long weekend deserve their penalty rates.

49 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Surely they would do good business on long weekend.  Workers who give up their long weekend deserve their penalty rates.

They would do good business with the many visitors down here, but historically many decline to open,  Even the best chinese on South Coast, ..Raymonds @ Malua Bay.  I bet I could walk through Batemans Bay CBD on Monday morning, the public holiday at 9am and find half the cafes closed, with people wandering the streets looking for breakfast.

gettyimages-142081424-612x612.jpg.1da19fecc944a417bfff7243145ba324.jpg

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

They would do good business with the many visitors down here, but historically many decline to open,  Even the best chinese on South Coast, ..Raymonds @ Malua Bay.  I bet I could walk through Batemans Bay CBD on Monday morning, the public holiday at 9am and find half the cafes closed, with people wandering the streets looking for breakfast.

gettyimages-142081424-612x612.jpg.1da19fecc944a417bfff7243145ba324.jpg

I'm sure you could do a good backed beans on toast!

• Like 1