When will cruise ships offer free wi-if in cabins?

Moxiefurball

avid cruiser , love princess but isn't it time for princess and all lines to offer free wi-if in cabins. Any thoughts ? Will it ever happen , it seems it has to

There is already free WiFi in all cabins. There just isn't free Internet. You can access the intranet for free via the onboard WiFi. You can use it to check your folio and onboard activities. You can make a personalized list of activities you want to attend. You can use it to message others onboard (although there is no push notification that one has received a message).

Sounds to me like you want free Internet service rather than simply free WiFi.

There is already free WiFi in all cabins. There just isn't free Internet. You can access the intranet for free via the onboard WiFi. You can use it to check your folio and onboard activities. You can make a personalized list of activities you want to attend. You can use it to message others onboard (although there is no push notification that one has received a message).

Sounds to me like you want free Internet service rather than simply free WiFi.

Yes. Want free internet in cabin . It's time . Let's go Princess !!!

Satellite links are still expensive and limited in bandwidth. Cheaper and faster communication while at sea will need to become available first.

They links couldn't even support it right now if everyone was online at once. Limiting minutes keeps utilization lower at any given time.

Free internet: 100% crazy talk! :evilsmile:

Princess is a business and they are not interested in you sitting in your stateroom for an entire cruise surfing the web. They want and need you to be surfing the shops, excursions, bars and any other profit centers on and off the ship. The current fare structure will never allow for free internet for all passengers. Now, free unlimited for suites and for those with 100+ cruises, maybe.

If you take five cruises or 50 days on Princess you get a nice allocation of internet mins. as a Captain's Circle benefit. Don't expect unlimited internet anytime soon. Satellite internet service is expensive. Wi-Fi is free and available in cabins.

If you take five cruises or 50 days on Princess you get a nice allocation of internet mins. as a Captain's Circle benefit. Don't expect unlimited internet anytime soon. Satellite internet service is expensive. Wi-Fi is free and available in cabins.

What's the allocation of minutes for 5 plus cruisers ?

For 6+ cruisers (Platinum)

Complimentary Internet Credit

Each Platinum Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet credit to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the passenger’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

• Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes
  • Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes
  • Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes

As a Platinum Captain’s Circle Member you will be recognized as such when you initially log on to the Internet onboard. Upon the initial log on you will see a screen which shows you how many complimentary minutes you are eligible to receive. In addition, you will have the opportunity to select more minutes at the available rates. This offer is only available at the time of the initial log on.

Only usage exceeding the allotted amounts will be charged to your onboard folio. The Internet activation fee of $3.95 is waived for Platinum and Elite Princess Captain’s Circle Members.

Each Platinum Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet credit to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the passenger’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

• Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes
  • Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes
  • Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes

It sounds selfish, but until the tech. improves I hope not. If it were free, the speed for the users would be darn near unacceptable. It's not like land based where an establishment can hook into the existing infrastructure for internet.

Wifi on the ship... I'm good with that, and that should be getting better every season. Free internet? Mostly out of Princess's hands if one wants OK speed.

I had 150 minutes of free internet on my cruise last week on Crown Princess. Platinum perk. Sucked so bad I was only able to use 90 minutes of it. First thing they need to do is fix their internet. On Celebrity and Royal Caribbean the internet has actually been usable the last few years at decent speeds. Shame on Princess for being five years behind.

For a while Princess offered free internet to Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers. They had problems with usage, so they eliminated free for suites and limited the credit for Platinum and Elites.

It was only unlimited for Full Suite passengers.

There has only ever been the minutes package benefit for Platinum and Elite.

The short answer is probably never. The costs of satellite internet, even as they drop, would never go low enough to offer as a free amenity (prices will drop, they are now as many ships are offering unlimited packages for a far more reasonable fee than even 5 years ago)

Some cruise lines do, Silversea and Regent and I'm sure some of the other luxury lines. But you'll have to loosen the purse strings a bit I'm afraid!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regent for sure! We just try to limit our usage to slow-use times such as when everyone is ashore or getting ready for dinner. Come join us on Regent for a more inclusive experience. You won't be nickeled-and-dimed!

Free internet: 100% crazy talk! :evilsmile:

Princess is a business and they are not interested in you sitting in your stateroom for an entire cruise surfing the web. They want and need you to be surfing the shops, excursions, bars and any other profit centers on and off the ship. The current fare structure will never allow for free internet for all passengers. Now, free unlimited for suites and for those with 100+ cruises, maybe.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

I couldn't have said it any better.....:):):)

Bob

I had 150 minutes of free internet on my cruise last week on Crown Princess. Platinum perk. Sucked so bad I was only able to use 90 minutes of it. First thing they need to do is fix their internet. On Celebrity and Royal Caribbean the internet has actually been usable the last few years at decent speeds. Shame on Princess for being five years behind.

Internet speeds (and WiFi connectivity) are being improved on Medallion class ships. Of course so many people seem to fear Big Brother and swear they will never sail on those ships. Whatever. For now, connectivity is poor and I am happy that not everybody can be online all the time playing their games, using Facebook, etc. If everybody had free Internet access the stupid Facebook access alone would kill the entire system as it stands.

Regent for sure! We just try to limit our usage to slow-use times such as when everyone is ashore or getting ready for dinner. Come join us on Regent for a more inclusive experience. You won't be nickeled-and-dimed!

Nope. You will be "dollared" right up front. ;p

It's a money maker for Princess, I doubt it will ever be free. They would much rather have you drinking at the bar than a passenger sitting in the Piazza or in their room surfing the internet. We get free internet minutes because we are elite, and I use DH's minutes as well as mine.

avid cruiser , love princess but isn't it time for princess and all lines to offer free wi-if in cabins. Any thoughts ? Will it ever happen , it seems it has to

I always am amazed these days how many people think that this, that, and the other thing should be free. Somehow they fail to realize that nothing (consumer products-wize) is actually free. It has to be paid for by someone (or lots of someones). :confused:

I hope it doesn't. Cruises are the one time we disconnect and talk to eachother. Pott wifi is enough to talk to people at home. I often look forward to airplane mode