Has anyone experienced changing ports due to weather?

Purplsmurf

With Irma causing so much damage I have been wondering what Celebrity might do about the upcoming cruise on September 15 if Miami sustains too much damage. Royal Caribbean is delaying some of their cruises that are suooosed to sail this weekend and will change ports if need be. They have mentioned Tampa, but I guess Equinox can't go there. When Harvey hit, ships couldn't get into Galveston so a couple of them went to New Orleans. The current passengers on the Equinox have to get off somewhere. Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before. Once the Equinox sails hopefully the cruise will be good since it goes to Grand Cayman and the ABC islands and finishing in the Keys.

On Equinox now. We were re-routed south to Curaçao where we are now and then tomorrow will head to Barbados and from there north. We expect our itinerary to have further modification but so far no announcements.

We will have to wait and see if Port of Miami sustains any damage and then they will decide what happens next.

In 2009 we were rerouted from docking in Livorno to La Spezia, this wasn't announced until about 5am, but we still managed to take a train into Florence... in 2011 we made it to Mykonos, but many people didn't get to shore due to high winds & stopping tender boat service. I think we skipped a port on that cruise also, but I don't recall which one. In 2013 we missed Ravenna & the Byzantine mosaics plus we were delayed by a few hours into Dubrovnik, again high winds made docking difficult. I think last year's trip was the first where we didn't miss a single port. Point is, you almost have to expect changes due to weather unless you cruise at a time of year when that's less likely to be a factor. I try to plan ahead for any likely diversions & have a back up plan if ports get switched, but there's not much you can do if they have to skip one altogether.

A few years ago we were coming back from the Med on Eclipse, and we encountered strong headwinds as we sailed past Spain and Portugal heading for Southampton. We were due to call at Coruna but the day before it the captain announced we would not get a full day, just an afternoon visit due to the headwind. After dinner that night the captain announced we would not make it, but head office had managed to get us a berth at Vigo instead, so we did not lose out. Of course there were moans!

Equinox is not due back to Port of Miami for over a week when the storm will be long gone - unless Jose decides to take a turn to the west. Hopefully, there will not be significant damage to the port and everyone will be back in business by then. For the moment, she's in Curacao and stopping in some ports well south of the storm. The current revised itinerary has her in St. Maarten on Monday but there may be just too much damage there.

The port of Galveston was closed by Hurricane Harvey for Liberty of the Seas on August 26 but open again for business in plenty of time for the September 2 sailing.

The fall TA of the Constellation in 2014 was scheduled to start in Civitavecchia. Due to high winds, the port was closed. Rather, the TA began in Naples, the last port of the preceding cruise. Lots of bus traffic between Rome, Civitavechia and Naples to deal with disembarking and embarking passengers. Luckily we were B2B, so just an extra day in Naples for us.

We were booked to cruise on RCI when Hurricane Wilma hit the Miami/FLL area. Miami and FLL airports were closed. We had not heard anything from RCI so Southwest was able to reroute us to Tampa and we went. Rented a car and drove to East Coast. About that time we heard our cruise had been shortened one day. Then we heard that our ship was being sent to Cancun to evacuate Americans. Some were injured so ship travel was easier for those people. Carnival also sent a ship to Cancun to help with evacuation.

We ended up going on a shorter cruise on another RCI ship. We got some incentives.

OP is talking specifically about embarkation port as they are on the Sept 15 Equinox cruise as am I. Most of us have experienced missing ports on our itinerary for numerous reasons.

Hoping if there is any damage to POM that it is minimal and the port can reopen quickly for both commercial and cruise traffic.

Really praying it turns out this way!

Equinox is not due back to Port of Miami for over a week when the storm will be long gone - unless Jose decides to take a turn to the west. Hopefully, there will not be significant damage to the port and everyone will be back in business by then. For the moment, she's in Curacao and stopping in some ports well south of the storm. The current revised itinerary has her in St. Maarten on Monday but there may be just too much damage there.

The port of Galveston was closed by Hurricane Harvey for Liberty of the Seas on August 26 but open again for business in plenty of time for the September 2 sailing.

Thursday evening Celebrity announced that on Monday, Martinique would be substituted for St. Maarten.

The fall TA of the Constellation in 2014 was scheduled to start in Civitavecchia. Due to high winds, the port was closed. Rather, the TA began in Naples, the last port of the preceding cruise. Lots of bus traffic between Rome, Civitavechia and Naples to deal with disembarking and embarking passengers. Luckily we were B2B, so just an extra day in Naples for us.

I believe we were on that cruise. Somehow X rounded up a fleet of beautiful buses to take us from Civitavecchia to Naples. Really was remarkable how they were able to do that on such short notice.

In well over 20 cruises I don't ever remember missing a port. Guess we've been very lucky so far. Am wondering what will happen on our cruise next month on Equinox.

We also sail on the Equinox next month. My best guess is that we will do the same itinerary that the Sept 4 sailing did...dropping St Thomas, St Maarten and Tortola for Curasao and Martinique.

This storm did major damage to the Caribbean islands....with Florida to come. It is sad to see the pictures that are coming out. :(

....The current revised itinerary has her in St. Maarten on Monday but there may be just too much damage there.

There is too much damage to St. Maarten, including the port. St. Maarten will most likely be closed for several months....

There is too much damage to St. Maarten, including the port. St. Maarten will most likely be closed for several months....

Even if the St Maarten cruise port was operational, the devastation elsewhere would deter cruise lines stopping there.

We missed Grand Cayman because of the damaged caused by Hurricane Ivan and Grand Cayman is a tender port anyway.

A few years ago we were coming back from the Med on Eclipse, and we encountered strong headwinds as we sailed past Spain and Portugal heading for Southampton. We were due to call at Coruna but the day before it the captain announced we would not get a full day, just an afternoon visit due to the headwind. After dinner that night the captain announced we would not make it, but head office had managed to get us a berth at Vigo instead, so we did not lose out. Of course there were moans!

We had a similar situation were we were on a Silhouette TA (Ft Lauderdale-Southampton). The ship was scheduled to stop at Lisbon but instead, because high winds, went on to Vigo. Seen Lisbon many times so going on to Vigo did not bother us. Also going to Vigo allowed us to discover Santiago De Compostela. Liked it so much we went back the following year.

Happens frequently. Be flexible. Avoiding problems is the goal. Unfortunately, a shift in currents, wind, or weather can change the ports. Also sick people can alter sailings. Being on a cruise does have the advantage of passing on ports that are not welcoming to cruisers.

We missed Grand Cayman because of the damaged caused by Hurricane Ivan and Grand Cayman is a tender port anyway.

I was on a Celebrity cruise exactly two months after Ivan hit and we did tender at Grand Cayman. I was surprised we did so soon after, but the island needed the tourist money (their banking services notwithstanding). I'm due in St Maarten toward the end of November. I'm just going to wait and see. I'd love to say we stopped there because it would mean they are getting back on their feet.

Phil

We were on that cruise and were notified the evening before. I didn't open the Celebrity email and they continually sent it until the required response was made. They managed to bus everyone and it must have cost them a bundle. We had a choice of being picked up at the airport or port