Out of all the cut backs over the years, what is the one thing ...

sassy~one

And there will be thousands of customer who will sail HAL because she is connected with them.

Do you REALLY think so? No way would I pick a cruise because of a spokes person. I might NOT pick a cruise because of that....but never PICK a cruise because of that.

OP asked for ONE cutback that we would like to see come back.

Why did so many people list so many things???

I listed one but did mention that I had a list.

Yikes people -- just answer the question.

If it is to be limited to just one, I would like to see the same sort of passenger mix as used to sail HAL: people who appreciated the way HAL was - perhaps if they came back in strength, HAL might try to do what they us d to do which attracted them in the first place.

If it is to be limited to just one, I would like to see the same sort of passenger mix as used to sail HAL: people who appreciated the way HAL was - perhaps if they came back in strength, HAL might try to do what they us d to do which attracted them in the first place.

Interested to know what that mix is.

The hiring of Oprah and her radical ways reflects on the current leadership at HAL who hired her!

I am not an Oprah fan and would not cruise on an O theme cruise but I cannot understand 'radical” and Oprah in the same sentence. I think the problem is with you.

I know OP asked for one thing but I really have to mention how sorry I am the cutback in crew. There is no t less work but fewer people doing it, particuarly, dining, cabin stewards and b ar staff. They don't have the time to get to know the guest s in the ways they used to. it was quite special we would se e some maybe 4 years later and we would continue chatting as if there had been no interruption.

Do you REALLY think so? No way would I pick a cruise because of a spokes person. I might NOT pick a cruise because of that....but never PICK a cruise because of that.

^^^ Yes, yes, yes and yes. :) I se e no logical connection of "O to HAL or any cruise line.

Radical? I see her as about as mainstream as you can get. No matter what your opinion may be, the woman is extremely popular. Her TV show and specials, book cub and magazine have millions of followers. Much like using the BBC Earth name HAL is trying to reach out to more people with different interests.

Try doing a web search and read her comments.She was driven out of Chicago and closed down due to poor viewership.Not liked by anyone I know here in Chicago!JMHO

Who are these people that "used to" sail HAL? How are they different from the current passengers?

Not sure the passenger mix can be considered a cutback.

I would like to see the return of the "Yum-Yum Man" in uniform on a consistent basis. He should chime the traditional notes announcing dinner and be stationed at the dining room exit to dispense mints, ginger, etc. This was one of the unique hallmarks of cruising on a Holland America ship for many years.

Jim,

We did have the Yum-Yum Man on our most recent Veendam cruise and I made sure to mention my pleasure on the follow up survey. We enjoyed him so much we gave him a small gratuity at the end of our voyage. Our Christmas cruise on the Koningsdam last year was strictly a serve yourself mints experience, very disappointing.

St. Louis Sal

There are two very active posters here who tried O and both were disappointed. That has influenced my lack of willingness to try "

:o I just saw the post Kazu made

Sail,

I have been on O cruises with very positive experiences and have two more booked. On the other hand our cruise on the Rotterdam in Dec. 2016 was terrible and sent us running away.

We are on the Zuiderdam in February. If that does not prove to be better than our last cruise, it will definitely be our last HAL cruise.

O has worked out very nicely for us.

Terri

On the smaller ships, there was a spot for a piano in the MDR and, indeed a piano played there in the old days while you were dining (and this is not that far back). (Prinsendam excluded since the music from the Ocean Bar flows down gently if you are in the forward dining room).

I loved the piano there while we were dining.

Sadly like the piano men, it seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird. I thought it really added to the MDR ambeience.

Jim,

We did have the Yum-Yum Man on our most recent Veendam cruise and I made sure to mention my pleasure on the follow up survey. We enjoyed him so much we gave him a small gratuity at the end of our voyage. Our Christmas cruise on the Koningsdam last year was strictly a serve yourself mints experience, very disappointing.

St. Louis Sal

There was a Yummy- Yummy Man on our Maasdam cruise ( we disembarked December 19th), he sounded the chimes before first dinner seating, and handed out mints, ginger etc from the trolley after dinner.

But it isn't about a spokesperson. It's about the attitude Oprah represents for HAL. She is young, hip, successful, compassionate, and a person of color. These are the qualities HAL is trying to attract as new customers, and I am interested in cruising with people like this/her.

But it isn't about a spokesperson. It's about the attitude Oprah represents for HAL. She is young, hip, successful, compassionate, and a person of color. These are the qualities HAL is trying to attract as new customers, and I am interested in cruising with people like this/her.

She is 64, not what I would call young & hip.

Who are these people that "used to" sail HAL? How are they different from the current passengers?

Not sure the passenger mix can be considered a cutback.

The people who "used to" sail HAL were people who were willing to pay the somewhat higher fares involved when HAL was a premium mainstream line - costlier than Carnival , Royal Catibbean, and NCL - and known for offering smaller ships with amenities not offered elsewhere - and who were comfortable with, if not actually attracted by, the traditional approach.

The people who "used to" sail HAL were people who were willing to pay the somewhat higher fares involved when HAL was a premium mainstream line - costlier than Carnival , Royal Catibbean, and NCL - and known for offering smaller ships with amenities not offered elsewhere - and who were comfortable with, if not actually attracted by, the traditional approach.

It's my guess that those passengers have moved on to the higher end lines.Or they cruise on the Prinsendam. But if the future plans for ships like the Maasdam come to be maybe there will be one more reason for those passengers to come back.

Your guess would be wrong in regards to some of us specifically. I have little interest in Prinsendam at the moment. I sailed NCL a nd paid close to the same amount I pay for my usual cabin on HAL> What I pay for suites on both those lines, I could sail mossgt any line I wish. have a grea deal of history r on HAL and srong connection to a number of t he ships and peop[le. Though I expe ct I will sail NCL again, it is more likely most future cruises for me will be on HAL but not Prinsnedam. I do not wish to travelfvery far for exotic itinearies at this stage of my life..

Based on my own criteria for selecting cruises, I don't expect HAL to play a large part in my future cruising plans. Although I'm a fairly "young" cruiser by HAL standards, the things I look for seem to diverge from the path HAL is taking -- and no, having Oprah on board would not influence me one way or the other.

I will continue to pick and choose a few HAL cruises that appeal to me due to itinerary, but I don't like larger ships and given the many recent bad experiences that have been reported on some of the older, smaller ships I am very reluctant to sail on them. (I believe Prinsendam to be an exception as HAL seems inclined to keep her relatively updated).

Some things I miss:

-- Enrichment lectures (on all cruises not just a select few)

-- More live musicians

-- More entertainment options (not rock walls or flow riders, simply a return to the options that USED to be offered)

-- Smaller ships

-- A better dining experience

I don't have any deep attachment to any cruise line. I'm fond of HAL but that fondness doesn't blind me to HAL's faults, and I have already seen three cruiselines I was fond of "go under" in my sailing life since the early 1970s.

I'll go with whatever line offers what I'm looking for NOW and will keep my fond memories of HAL (or Royal Viking, or Sitmar) as it was THEN.

Your guess would be wrong in regards to some of us specifically. I have little interest in Prinsendam at the moment. I sailed NCL a nd paid close to the same amount I pay for my usual cabin on HAL> What I pay for suites on both those lines, I could sail mossgt any line I wish. have a grea deal of history r on HAL and srong connection to a number of t he ships and peop[le. Though I expe ct I will sail NCL again, it is more likely most future cruises for me will be on HAL but not Prinsnedam. I do not wish to travelfvery far for exotic itinearies at this stage of my life..

While that's interesting it's not very clear if cutbacks have had any influence on your decision making process.

She is 64, not what I would call young & hip.

To many HAL cruisers this would be considered young and hip :D On our HAL cruises many passengers could have been her parents. On our recent Rotterdam cruise, Barry from Boston (piano bar player) did a Beatles set. The lady next to me said something like "its nice to hear him playing current music." I quickly mentioned that the Beatles stopped recording in 1969 (49 years ago) and the lady was truly shocked (and did laugh).

Hank

To many HAL cruisers this would be considered young and hip :D On our HAL cruises many passengers could have been her parents. On our recent Rotterdam cruise, Barry from Boston (piano bar player) did a Beatles set. The lady next to me said something like "its nice to hear him playing current music." I quickly mentioned that the Beatles stopped recording in 1969 (49 years ago) and the lady was truly shocked (and did laugh).

Hank

LOL clear.png?emoji-grin-1677