Out of all the cut backs over the years, what is the one thing ...

sassy~one

For us, the worst cut-backs have been in cuisine served in both the MDR and Lidos (of all the mass market lines). And cut-backs have driven many of our decisions on which cruises to book. That being said, when it comes to HAL we do often overlook cutbacks because of HAL's terrific itineraries.

Hank

For us, the worst cut-backs have been in cuisine served in both the MDR and Lidos (of all the mass market lines). And cut-backs have driven many of our decisions on which cruises to book. That being said, when it comes to HAL we do often overlook cutbacks because of HAL's terrific itineraries.

Hank

Agree. Also, I miss the old culinary arts hostess programing. The new Test Kitchen is repetitive and boring. They kept repeating recipes on our Atlantic Adventure crossing. For that matter, the entertainment was ridiculous compared to the past. They actually showed movies as the evening entertainment in the showroom and expected everyone to be perfectly happy with that choice. Not.

I can see HAL becoming a slightly more "hip" Cunard.

There is a large gap developing between the mass cruise lines (HAL and Cunard included) and the premium (Oceania, Azamara, Viking).

Celebrity used to be the only cruise line that lay inbetween. Celebrity's downgrades, nickle and dime, fixation on magic carpet gimmicks has moved it firmly into the mass cruise line segment.

HAL should market themselves just below the premium - take that middle area - and focus on intellectual voyages with outstanding speakers (not Oprah who is a "celebrity", yikes), regionally specific food, outstanding excursions and make sure the food and service is very good.

There is a solid segment of consumers from young and old who are intellectually focused and love travel, good food, wine etc - but can not or may not want to pay the premium fares. Cunard has a good bit of that but an older crowd. I love Cunard's product.

There is no point in HAL trying to compete with Princess or Celebrity who are more focused on boozing up and segmenting and nickle and diming their guests. Those cruise lines have name recognition with the mass of american and canadian consumer base. These consumers are focused on getting "free booze" and a "deal". HAL, move on.

HAL and Cunard have an opportunity to seize the vacant area just under the premium and over the mass lines.

I can see HAL becoming a slightly more "hip" Cunard.

There is a large gap developing between the mass cruise lines (HAL and Cunard included) and the premium (Oceania, Azamara, Viking).

Celebrity used to be the only cruise line that lay inbetween. Celebrity's downgrades, nickle and dime, fixation on magic carpet gimmicks has moved it firmly into the mass cruise line segment.

HAL should market themselves just below the premium - take that middle area - and focus on intellectual voyages with outstanding speakers (not Oprah who is a "celebrity", yikes), regionally specific food, outstanding excursions and make sure the food and service is very good.

There is a solid segment of consumers from young and old who are intellectually focused and love travel, good food, wine etc - but can not or may not want to pay the premium fares. Cunard has a good bit of that but an older crowd. I love Cunard's product.

There is no point in HAL trying to compete with Princess or Celebrity who are more focused on boozing up and segmenting and nickle and diming their guests. Those cruise lines have name recognition with the mass of american and canadian consumer base. These consumers are focused on getting "free booze" and a "deal". HAL, move on.

HAL and Cunard have an opportunity to seize the vacant area just under the premium and over the mass lines.

I like the idea, but I wonder though...

If Celebrity tried it, with all their new, sleek ships (and I, for one, am a fan) and they couldn't make it work....then how do you think HAL could pull it off with a much older (and not very 'hip') fleet?

My feeling is that Celebrity wouldn't be trying to fix something if it wasn't "broke" -- clearly they are doing what they're doing to maximize profits.

I'm not convinced there is room for another tier when there are already at least four tiers of ships one could name:

1: Carnival, NCL, perhaps Royal, MSC

2: Princess, Celebrity HAL, Cunard

3: Oceania, Azamara, Viking

4: Crystal, Seabourne, etc. (true luxury lines)

If Celebrity tried it, with all their new, sleek ships (and I, for one, am a fan) and they couldn't make it work....then how do you think HAL could pull it off with a much older (and not very 'hip') fleet?

My feeling is that Celebrity wouldn't be trying to fix something if it wasn't "broke" -- clearly they are doing what they're doing to maximize profits.

I'm not convinced there is room for another tier when there are already at least four tiers of ships one could name:

Good points - of course lots of products can be marketed in more than just two or three tiers: wines and cars come to mind. Of course, there can be some boundary blurring - but clever marketing can identify, and sell, different quality levels - especially when "accessories" (such as entertainment and enrichment), in addition to simple ship size, are identified and emphasized.

What is the one thing I'd like to bring back?

Well if I could 'turn back time" (think of the Cher video).....

I'd like to be able to smuggle a couple of bottles of booze in my luggage again....

Just off here you go do a search 32oz Traveler™ - Rum Runner flasks Have used them for years

Cigars Under The Stars, HALcats, Passport To Fitness and goofy stuff like Chipping A Plastic Golf Ball Into A Life Preserver Floating In The Swimming Pool and quoits, shuffleboard and putting competitions.

In addition to Dutch Night, the crew shows, Indonesian lunch, Filipino lunch, Chocolate Extravaganza, etc, etc which have been previously mentioned.

My first HAL cruise was 2003 on the Noordam (N class) and was so impressed with the MDR. Live music, dinner chimes, yum yum man, and first name service. Dutch night with hats. I've been preaching to my friends: enjoy it while it lasts as it going away.

We loved the Koningsdam last year despite the changes. Yes, there is room for HAL between the main stream lines and the 6 star premium.

What does a 'hip HAL' look like?

My first HAL cruise was 2003 on the Noordam (N class) and was so impressed with the MDR. Live music, dinner chimes, yum yum man, and first name service. Dutch night with hats. I've been preaching to my friends: enjoy it while it lasts as it going away.

We loved the Koningsdam last year despite the changes. Yes, there is room for HAL between the main stream lines and the 6 star premium.

My first HAL cruise was also on the 'old' Noordam. Afftter being aboard for one hour, we knew we were hooked as HAL cruisers from that day forrward. :)

How many stars do you assgn the current HAL?

Dutch night, a sample:

Appetizers:

Shrimp Cocktail,

Huzarensalade, (salad containing tender veal, diced apples, potatoes, pickles and chopped onions)

MaatjesHerring,

Fresh fruit cup,

Crudites

HotAppetizer:

Barneveld Pasteitje (a pastry shell with sweet breads, chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce)

Soups:

Groentensoep (Dutch vegetable)

Bruine bonensoep (Dutch Brown Bean Soup)

Erwtensoep (Dutch green pea soup)

Salad:

Saladof the day mixed greens,

From the garden tossed greens

Entrees:

Fillet of Dover Sole Meuniere,

Seafood Zeeland,

DutchTenderloin Steak,

Duck Al Orange,

Idaho Baked Potato,

Hutspotmet Klapstuk (hodge-podge of potatoes, carrots and onions with boiled brisket of beef)

Fresh Fruit Plate,

Imported Cheese and Fresh Fruit

Desserts:

Parfait Rothschildt (an almond flavored parfait with diced fruit and kirschwasser liqueur),

BoscheBol (kinda like a cream puff with chocolate cover)

Ice Cream Bombe,

Chocolate Mousse Cake,

Dutch Apple Pie,

Chocolate Eclairs,

Pastry Tray,

French Vanilla, Tin Roof and Blueberry Ice Cream.

You are a Tease. . , Coopper....... How well I remember that wonderful menu and how much I miss it Dutch Night was a fun evening and I loved we all found Dutch hats on our place settings when we were seated. One black style for the 'boys' and one white for the 'girls. I have so many of them palain............. and so many painted so beautifully by dining and bar staff. Those painted hats are collectibles, IMO. All are signed and dated.

But oh the food........... Delicious.

Perhaps the "one thing" I miss most is the general product - perhaps the "business plan": which emphasized offering quality service, food, and entertainment to a customer base which seemed willing to pay for such quality.

The new "business plan" appears to emphasize attracting a customer base most interested in an inexpensive travel experience - which, of course, necessitates all of the cost cutting involved in staff reductions, food quality "trimming", entertainment curtailing, etc.

They simply decided to degrade the product, rather than try to attract a base willing to pay more for a better product.

They have to cut the price to fill the ships . Cut the price you have to cut back food quality choices and staff only thing they can cut back on. If you look back 6 years ago same cruise it will be more then. Its like when gratuities where included then to make it look cheaper they took them out of price. You get what you pay for. If you want the cruises like in the past you have to pay more

They have to cut the price to fill the ships . Cut the price you have to cut back food quality choices and staff only thing they can cut back on. If you look back 6 years ago same cruise it will be more then. Its like when gratuities where included then to make it look cheaper they took them out of price. You get what you pay for. If you want the cruises like in the past you have to pay more

Here is a shocking response to the easy, blame it on t he pricce old easy answer............... SOME Of us are acutally paying quiite a high price for our cruises.s Price a Neptune Suite sailed as a solo and see if you h think it's a 'low price.'. I am paying plenty for that cabin .

What is interesting is I can exactly compare what DH and I paid for the exact same c ab in on the same ship doing th e same itinerary from as muc h as 6, 7,8 + years ago to today's prices. I KNOW exactly wha t it c ost then and what it costs now. (If I go to the bother to dig through all thos old travel papers) )When people continually throw out there so c asually an d glibly how much lower the costs are for us now vs. then, I KNOW they are spouting conjecture and have no numbers to back it up. . I am speaking fact . I have the paper work from those cruises in the exact same cabin. I have been sailing those ships since statendam first came to the fleet, then the other "S" class ships and Rotterdam VI and Amtserdam. Then came Zuider dam and we sailed that ship about 5-6 cruises her Inaugural season. I KNOW what price s were and we all know what the prices are now. The easy, toss it out there answer with out actually doing any arithmetic just does not hold water.

Edited by sail7seas

Here you go, S7S

Oooooo, I couldn't get the sound to play. i hit the volume control and it went mute.

But thank you for trying. I really appreciate it. Those were the days when they actually had a "cruise srtaff".