Do You Re-Use Lanyards From Previous Cruises or Buy New Onboard?

need2cruisesoon

We have some that we always bring. I've once tried one with a plastic holder, but I found it too much trouble, especially when trying to enter our cabin while carrying stuff. I've brought a small hole punch our last couple of cruises.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not sure why people feel the need to let us know they don't use a lanyard. Different courses for different horses; no one is making you use one.

To advise the poster of other options that perhaps haven't been considered. Not a judgment, just an option.

Added to say, I've read further and now see the judgement :(

To advise the poster of other options that perhaps haven't been considered. Not a judgment, just an option.

I see no suggested alternatives from many who've proclaimed their abhorrence for what others merely find functional and convenient.

I see no suggested alternatives from many who've proclaimed their abhorrence for what others merely find functional and convenient.

Pockets. They are included for free on many clothing items. If you chose clothing that doesn't have them, that's your choice.

Pockets. They are included for free on many clothing items. If you chose clothing that doesn't have them, that's your choice.

As is using a lanyard (not mine personally, but for some).

I can understand reacting to someone asking how to smuggle booze onboard or how far one can go in ignoring clear dress codes, but the responses in this thread seem mostly to be what's called "threadcrapping."

As is using a lanyard (not mine personally, but for some).

I can understand reacting to someone asking how to smuggle booze onboard or how far one can go in ignoring clear dress codes, but the responses in this thread seem mostly to be what's called "threadcrapping."

"Threadcrapping"? I thought the suggestions on using nose or nipple rings quite valuable. Being aware of additional options is always a good thing. ;)

I will admit to at one time wearing lanyards, with or without the plastic card holder....at first I liked collecting the free ones awarded for playing trivia, or complimentary ones received for booking a cruise on board, etc....

I liked to wear the 'appropriate' one, or other clothing article, for whichever line I was sailing on.

I have never had to purchase one at the shops on board....

In recent years, the novelty has worn off, and unless I am at some activity where wearing them is a necessity (such as boarding a Zodiac on an Artic shore excursion), I will keep my keycard in my pocket. I will still collect them when I can.

One caution to those using their own hole punch....some ships have "smart" chips embedded, so better to let the front desk do the punching for you....:)

I'll bite. What's "threadcrapping"?

Per Google & Urban Dictionary:

Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

For example: Coming into a thread titled "I love my new Apple Mac", and posting "PCs are better and cheaper".

61epDw27mJL._SL1000_.jpg

This is the kind of lanyard we use. It works great for us. You don't have a card hanging in the way. We just hook on a belt loop or waist band, my daughter even hung hers from her neck collar in a pinch. just pull the cord to open your door or scan your card. Very easy.