Any one been to Cork on a Princess Cruise

Shaver John

We will be on the Regal in September and one of the stops will be Cork. Would like to know how far the town of Cork will be from the cruise terminal and if we can get a cab or taxi to take us into town. We have checked out all the tours and nothing seems to fit our fancy, but we do want to go into town and check it out. Please let me know if you have been there and what you were able to do. Thanking you in advance..

We will be on the Regal in September and one of the stops will be Cork. Would like to know how far the town of Cork will be from the cruise terminal and if we can get a cab or taxi to take us into town. We have checked out all the tours and nothing seems to fit our fancy, but we do want to go into town and check it out. Please let me know if you have been there and what you were able to do. Thanking you in advance..

Morning,

I was there many years ago so I can't really help you with what you can do when you there, but I can tell you that the ship will dock at Cobh, and it's about a 30 min train ride to Cork.

Trish

I have been to Cobh twice on Princess cruises. Note that you will dock in Cobh - not in Cork.

If you want to go to Cork, you can take the train from the pier. I have not done it myself, so you will need to get advice from others who have.

We stayed in Cobh. There is a small but interesting museum right on the pier that you may want to visit. It has information about the Titanic, the Lusitania, and other ships related to the port of Cobh.

On our British isles on the Caribbean Princess last Sept, we docked at Cobh Cruise Terminal. There are taxis on the pier and an information booth for your guidance. The local train station is also located at the pier and the trip to Cork is about 25 minutes. For the town of Cobh, it’s about a 10 minute walk. We went on a ship’s excursion for Blarney Castle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We joined a small group from our roll call and took a private tour to Blarney Castle, Jameson Distillery and lunch/free time in the lovely little fishing village of Kinsale. It was one of the highlights of our cruise, we loved the chance to get out into the countryside and enjoy the lovely scenery and friendly people. I know you didn't exactly ask that, but we were very glad we chose to get out of the city and explore.

As stated the ship docks in Cobh, pronounced kove. It is about 30 mins from the city of Cork. Cork is a commercial city, not really a tourist stop, but it was interesting to see. We took the train which departs right from the pier and takes about 1/2 hour to arrive at the Cork station. There is then a walk, about 20 mins, into town. Cobh itself is interesting. Some nice sights, shops, restaurants, and the local pub had entertainment when the ship was in port. You may wish to check out the roll call for your cruise. There are sights like Blarney Castle, Blarney Woolen Mills and more. We saw these on a land tour so we did not go when there on a cruise.

We were there in August on the Caribbean Princess. As others have stated, the ship docked in Cobh. We took an independent excursion to Blarney Castle and Kinsale. The bus went through Cork. I did not see much of that city that made me wish we had done it instead of the sights we saw.

We loved our excursion to Kinsale. Such a lovely little town and drive through the rolling green hills! There is a place there that sells crystal made like crystal used to be made by Waterford (the owner worked for Waterford). It is so beautiful.

We had the most magical sendoff by Cork as we were on a segment of the World Cruise with mostly Australians and New Zealanders. When they found out we were coming they arranged a whole day of welcome and sendoff with a special ceremony, a band, residents lined up all along the shore, all the boats in the water following us out, and even air rescue flying overhead. It turns out that this is the port where many were send off to Australia during the Potato Famine and they gave them a royal welcome home. Everyone was crying, and it was an amazing day!!

We were there in August on the Caribbean Princess. As others have stated, the ship docked in Cobh. We took an independent excursion to Blarney Castle and Kinsale. The bus went through Cork. I did not see much of that city that made me wish we had done it instead of the sights we saw.

Have to jump in to say the train is VERY easy to take. It was literally right off our ship. Inexpensive and nice ride. We enjoyed our walk around Cork very much. Town is filled with shops and pubs. Very friendly people and one seriously good wine store in the heart of town.

Enjoy!

Catherine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were In Cobh in 2009 on Crown Princess and there again in June on Royal Princess. Cobh is great, as is Cork, as has been said train right by the ship, also nice museum right at the cruise terminal. Nice town to walk around, as is Kinsale, a good tour. The locals really appreciate the cruise ships coming in to Cobh.

Enjoy.:p

If you choose to stay in Cobh (Cove) you can really get the feel for the village old and new by walking up to the beautiful and historic cathedral before meandering back down to the waterfront via a series of narrow lanes and staircases. Reward yourself at the end with fish and chips and a refreshing beer while listening to some Irish folk music. Visit the Titanic Museum on your way back to the ship and you'll had a wonderful day in Ireland.

Cobh, pronounced "cove" was previously called Queenstown and one of the ports Titanic sailed from. It was one of the towns emigrants left Ireland to sail to America. I think this is why the ship docks alongside the railway line nearer to the railway station than the excursion coaches. It is a fair walk into town at the far end but not that far from the town centre.

You can pay for your return rail ticket to Cork in cash (Euros) or use a credit card. Everyone seems to be going to Cork and there are a number of intermediate stations before you arrive allowing you to look at the scenery. Life in Ireland seems a bit more laid back than in England. I started to run for the train on the way back fearing it might suddenly start up and leave. The station staff told me not to run in case I tripped over and that they would not let the train leave while people are on the station walking towards it. You don't get this in London.

Regards John

Cobh, pronounced "cove" was previously called Queenstown and one of the ports Titanic sailed from. It was one of the towns emigrants left Ireland to sail to America.

On our cruise in August 2013 we chose to remain in Cobh and not go to Cork. The town is very quaint and we visited two interesting museums. The Cobh Heritage Centre (http://www.cobhheritage.com/) tells the story of Irish emigration. The Titanic Experience (http://www.titanicexperiencecobh.ie/), located in the original Whitestar Ticket Office Building, contains the special stories of the 123 passengers that boarded the Titanic in Cobh. We walked to the beautiful Cathedral and also enjoyed the views of the town and harbor from its hillside. Our best memory of Cobh was when it seemed like the entire town turned out for our sail away. In addition to folks lining the streets, costumed (19th century costumes) townspeople and the town band gathered on the dockside. The band played a number of rousing songs ending with Anchors Aweigh as we pulled away from the dock.

Cobh, pronounced "cove" was previously called Queenstown and one of the ports Titanic sailed from. . . .

Actually, I don't think the Titanic came into the harbor as big cruise ships do today. It anchored at the entrance to the harbor and sent folks into Cobh via tenders. One time we were in Cobh, there was an interesting Titanic exhibition in the train station/shopping mall. A photographer had boarded the ship in Southampton to take photos of the fancy new ship's interiors, etc. and disembarked in Cobh. Thus, he survived and his photos were preserved.

We've been to Cobh 3 times, one of which was unscheduled. In Sep. 2013 on a TA aboard the Emerald P, we had to "put in" at Cobh as there was a dangerous storm west of Ireland in the Atlantic. As a result we were there for 2 days and took the opportunity on one of the days to take the train into Cork--very worthwhile excursion! But I also love walking around Cobh itself.

Edited by BarbinMich

Titanic anchored about two miles out and was serviced by tenders. Two large ones which were port based, not from the ship, which took the passengers out to the ship and presumably retrieved a few who were disembarking. Not sure if these were actually "White Star" or just port tenders. A number of other small boats went out for commercial reasons too.

There is a single White Star Line tender surviving which has now been restored and is at Belfast - Nomadic. She actually was used to service Titanic and other White Star ships. I think she was stationed mainly in France.

Regards John

A photographer had boarded the ship in Southampton to take photos of the fancy new ship's interiors, etc. and disembarked in Cobh. Thus, he survived and his photos were preserved.

We saw that wonderful exhibit too. The photographer was Father Francis Browne, a Jesuit priest. For anyone interested, there are a number of articles on him and samples of his photos. Just google his name.

Both times when we were there on Princess we took Princess offered shore excursions, which were excellent, about eight hour day ones. We were on the Royal Princess in September 2014 when we did Ireland and again the next year on the Regal. It was a beautiful day in Cobh "cove", port city for Cork, the second time but the first we had a lot of rain. I guess they get their fair share of rain there. On the first trip I kissed the Blarney Stone during our Blarney Castle stop. And I didn't cheat, like most folks seem to do, actually kissed it, got pictures to prove it.

Now, if you remember your Titanic history, the last port the Titanic left from, when heading for New, York, was Queenstown (now Cobh). It didn't tie up to a dock there but tendered the passengers out and back. There was something like a little more than 150 from Queenstown that got on the Titanic, and a dozen or so got off in Queenstown after sailing between the British and European ports on that maiden voyage. Something like 35 or so lived to return to Queenstown.

On our first trip there, when we left, it was sort of just like the Titanic, when we sailed away we were acknowledged by the community, this time though as the last cruise ship of the season. They even had a band down at the dock and a lot of local women decked out in the early 20th century (1900s) Titanic attire of that day. So were we following in the path of the Titanic's last voyage? Not quite as we had St. Johns, New Foundland and Nova Scotia to do in between. Sort of eerie that evening though, going down that same sea lane as the Titanic did on her fateful voyage. I was a nervous wreck, LOL.

We saw that wonderful exhibit too. The photographer was Father Francis Browne, a Jesuit priest. For anyone interested, there are a number of articles on him and samples of his photos. Just google his name.

Thanks so much for the information! I've bookmarked Father Browne's website with the photos.

Sorry for the long post, but we've been to Cobh three times in the last 3 years. On our first trip to Cobh we both had terrible colds so we just stayed in Cobh and visited the town and went to mass at the church on the hill. It's a lovely town and well worth a visit.

In fall of 2016 on our Regal TA we found a very friendly knowledgeable private driver who took us on a tour of Charles Fort and Kinsale. We've been to many forts, and we weren't very interested in it, but we decided to give it a quick visit. We ended up staying almost 2 hrs., and I took over 100 pictures!

We loved Kinsale, and our guide led us to an excellent pub for lunch. It was a perfect small Irish town.

We were so pleased with our tour guide that we called him before our fall TA on the Caribbean P., and he met us at the dock. He took us to Cashel Rock and then to Bunratty Castle. Bunratty Castle was a very large property with a recreated village and the castle. There were lots of shops and a restaurant and cafe, and it was a good place for families, too. Cashel Rock was more of a ruin and very historic; we preferred it to Bunratty which was more commercial.

Last time we were in Cobh we took a tour with Butler’s coaches to Lismore Castle ( which is the Irish seat of the Duke of Devonshire) The Gardener took us on a tour of the gardens, as the castle itself is private.

57ac54301adb8245c88c524c84f9037e.jpg

On our return the driver took us to the graveyard where passengers of the Lusitania are buried

8a4d670a6dd5261629a16fa2e125089d.jpg

and also to the church which has become known as the Titanic church.

7d4ace7f80ff99193876dcfcca2a2ddc.jpg

7f710488c9cf29522c631a5661ec1e12.jpg

278854419e4657a5a0332ddb5d733bd8.jpg

There is plenty of history in Cobh, so well worth investigating.

46b9cb37119e401838d780a496a716ef.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

Check out Tom's Port Guides for excellent maps, photos and hints about Cobh and getting to Cork. Previous replies have accurate info on the train to Cork. We were there in '15 and found the town fascinating...especially the nautical history.