Cigarette came on to balcony - burned shirt.

How is a shirt, or lets say a towel, left on a balcony a fire hazard but the same shirt or towel left in a cabin is not a fire hazard? Most shirts and towels do not spontaneously combust. The fire hazard is the cigarette discarded by the inconsiderate and thoughtless smoker.

Agree! The fault is with the smoker

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found Yorkvillain’s pics, which were in our Harmony Group Review.

d6f16252cc932ee6b0f037fa4bbc8d17.jpg

Followed by a close up.

f80251984723ce8ea1c0945f34c1daf0.jpg

Then an observant commentary by a fellow CCer.

63c386728cb6acc298eeb4ab4a9aa997.jpg

The butt must have been after they joined the balcony club. [emoji6]

How is a shirt, or lets say a towel, left on a balcony a fire hazard but the same shirt or towel left in a cabin is not a fire hazard? Most shirts and towels do not spontaneously combust. The fire hazard is the cigarette discarded by the inconsiderate and thoughtless smoker.

Agree! The fault is with the smoker

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This reminds me of my driver's education instructor.

"Right of way can only be yielded, not taken."

You can be right and still be dead.

Not a good choice.

What if I’m wearing the shirt that catches on fire? A lit cigarette dropped and landed on my arm last cruise. Minor burn, but I can’t believe people think it’s ok to make my balcony their ashtray.

Yes, But if you'd not left your arm on your balcony it would not have caught fire... clearly you are at fault! Well, that's if I'm understanding the logic from others on this thread. Do note, I find the smokers reprehensible and not those with burned clothing or body parts. Sorry that happened to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My post was to remind others not to throw the lit cigarettes over, not to debate my leaving a shirt on the balcony.

An item on the balcony is only a fire hazard if someone throws a lighted cigarette over board. What if someone was relaxing on the balcony and is hit in the face with a lit cigarette. Or, a balcony door is open and the lighted butt flies in.

I know I was opening myself up when I made the post - and I know folks smoke on the balcony - but that is not the point. The point was to remind others not to throw cigarette butts overboard.

Thanks,

M

Thanks for your post. Sure wish cruisers would adhear to the “no smoking on balcony” rules. Last year we found a cigarette butt on our balcony. We had no towels or anything else on the balcony, but the cigarette but did some damage to the lounger chair.

Thanks for your post. Sure wish cruisers would adhear to the “no smoking on balcony” rules. Last year we found a cigarette butt on our balcony. We had no towels or anything else on the balcony, but the cigarette but did some damage to the lounger chair.

I guess you should not have left the chair out on the balcony.;)

On the Enchantment in Dec. we found cigarette butts on our aft balcony many times. It was annoying. Luckily they were out. Years ago on the celebrity Constellation a lit cigarette blew onto our balcony and hit my arm. No real damage but frightening. I have called security about people smoking on the balcony next door . They came and said they would talk with the people. However, the smoking continued. The issue is not that something was on the balcony but, the smoking is so dangerous.

Glad this didn't turn into something bigger, but if OP is anything like me, that smoky shirt and I could not have lived in the same cabin for any length of time.

I'm also sensitive to smoke. Of course, that means I don't hang around in or near smoking areas long enough for my clothes to get smoky. If my clothing did somehow pick up an intolerable smell, I'd wash the offending item in the sink rather than leave on balcony.

I know what your post was about, but it also showed that not only throwing a cigarette over board is a fire hazard and breaking the rules, but leaving stuff on the balcony is the same fire hazard and for obvious good reasons against the rules as well. But you might just want to chose the rules for others to obey, while it´s up to you to ignore other rules.

Nope. We hang damp items such as our bathing suits out on our balcony. Not a fire hazard. No rules broken. Where's this "imaginary fire hazard" where it's dangerous leaving out damp bathing suits overnight on clothes pins and a bungee cord?

I know what your post was about, but it also showed that not only throwing a cigarette over board is a fire hazard and breaking the rules, but leaving stuff on the balcony is the same fire hazard and for obvious good reasons against the rules as well. But you might just want to chose the rules for others to obey, while it´s up to you to ignore other rules.

...and while we're on the subject of rules, the balcony door should not be left open, thus no lit cig would be able to enter the cabin. :)

This is why I no longer book balcony cabins. Splurged and booked a balcony before the smoking policy came to be. The people next to us were smoker and we couldn't enjoy the balcony. They had a right to smoke and I don't like confrontation so now I book oceanview or inside. The plus side for me is I now have more money to spend on other things.

Here's what happened on the Star Princess one week after we were on it and they think a cigarette caused this fire.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=star+princess+fire&view=detail&mid=E3B396D254A5E5B1964CE3B396D254A5E5B1964C&FORM=VIRE

I remember reading about the Star Princess fire, they said at that time they believed it was a series of events that caused it, one a cigarette was thrown, landed on clothing or towel on a balcony starting a fire, the fire was pulled back into the ship because of a balcony or more than one balcony door being open. All rule breakers and could of been avoided. Just because something is unlikely to happen doesn't mean it won't. Clothes do catch fire, ask my friend who was badly burnt when hers did.

Here we go with the CC police. This was a legit concern about SMOKERS and then the OP gets ripped for something else. You want to know my feelings about smoking on cruise ships? Whether or not here it comes. Fire is a such a danger at sea there should be NO smoking ANYWHERE on the ship, period. Cigarettes should be confiscated and not allowed on the ship at all. Plenty of non smokers will fill cabins or people who can deal without till they get off the ship in port. Now I will wait to get ripped to shreds because I fall on the no fire at sea theory.

Here we go with the CC police. This was a legit concern about SMOKERS and then the OP gets ripped for something else. You want to know my feelings about smoking on cruise ships? Whether or not here it comes. Fire is a such a danger at sea there should be NO smoking ANYWHERE on the ship, period. Cigarettes should be confiscated and not allowed on the ship at all. Plenty of non smokers will fill cabins or people who can deal without till they get off the ship in port. Now I will wait to get ripped to shreds because I fall on the no fire at sea theory.

Not by me!

Flashing lights & sirens blaring, they finally left the donut shop to show up late to the thread.

1. No fire at sea = raw foods at mealtime.

2. Confiscation = a Cuban Cruise.

3. Don't smoke on balconies, Don't leave your crap on the balcony, Don't leave your balcony door open = following rules.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Smoking is disgusting... I don't smoke obviously!! I did though, for about 25 years!

People that smoke should only do it in the areas where they are allowed to do so. They are not allowed to smoke on their balcony.

I can't see the danger in leaving a shirt out to air or dry though? I think they don't want us doing this because stuff might blow into the sea and be an environmental issue?, not one that might kill us? Why is this rule in place? What's the logic?

Edited by Suzieanna

smoking is disgusting... I don't smoke obviously!! I did though, for about 25 years!

People that smoke should only do it in the areas where they are allowed to do so. They are not allowed to smoke on your balcony.

I can't see the danger in leaving a shirt out to air or dry though? i think they don't want us doing this because stuff might blow into the sea and be an environmental issue?, not one that might kill us? why is this rule in place? What's the logic?

both