pesos on mexican cruise

waterwaterwater

Pretty much all tourist areas should take the USD at Souvenir shops. If you are planning on visiting a Walmart or Home depot, etc using a foreign transaction fee free credit card would be best.

If you still feel the need for some pesos in your pocket, withdraw some at a local ATM, the current rate is about 18.5 pesos to 1 USD.

Generally everywhere in the Caribbean that accepts cruise ships will accept USD in port. You can get pesos if you wish, but it’s not necessary. I always bring a mix of bills so I can pay in exact change because while they will accept USD, they may want to give change in pesos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IF you are a Wells Fargo customer you can buy pesos there and the difference in exchange rate on $50 was only about $1 or so.

I always feel better having some pesos but I agree that you can use USA currency. IF you pay in USA $$s you will get change back in pesos. Definitely have small bills that are in good condition.

Generally everywhere in the Caribbean that accepts cruise ships will accept USD in port. You can get pesos if you wish, but it’s not necessary. I always bring a mix of bills so I can pay in exact change because while they will accept USD, they may want to give change in pesos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Martinique and Guadaluope, some shops will take Euros and credit cards but not accept US $$$.

Mexico law doesn't allow their shops to accept $50 or $100 bills, smaller denominations and credit cards are fine.

Check to see if a particular branded credit card requires prior notice for international travel. My AMEX does not, but my NCL MC does.

Based on my own experience on my Mexican Riviera cruise, if you plan on taking a taxi to go to in-town shopping districts, having Pesos is good. Their meters usually show the fare in Pesos and you can easily pay the correct amount.

We have been to well over 50 cruise stops in Mexican ports. I have never seen any issue with taking dollars and by far, they expect it. See no reason at all to pay for currency exchange.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most shops in tourist areas post their cash exchange rate somewhere near the register. The rate will always be in their favor. You can always ask what their exchange rate is that day.

These are links to the exchange rates that Mastercard and Visa use for US cards. Amex and Discover don't publish the rates that they use, but the articles I have read say that their rates are close to the Mastercard and Visa rates. Google the "official" exchange rate, then use these links to get a good idea of what you will end up paying.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

In addition to bringing small bills if you decide to use US dollars, try to make sure that they are all in good condition. If they are too old/ beat up some stores won't accept them and if you use those to tip with the recipient will have the same issue, so it's worthless to them as well. I'm not sure if this is all banks/ stores in Mexico, but it was the case in Playa del Carmen a couple years ago.

However, we have been in Puerto Vallarta on a cruise stop and just wanted to use the public facilities (near the park with the John Huston statue), and needed a small amount of local currency. I survived without. Just saying there ARE circumstances when you might want a miniscule amount of the local stuff.

There is always an exception to the "rule" that all you need on a cruise to Mexico is a credit card and USD.

Here is my example. The Ship Docked several miles North of LaPaz which required a bus ride into town. The time to clear the ship, catch the bus, and then ride into town did add up.

Upon arrival at the Bus Terminal the passengers found that the facilities was guarded by a six foot tall revolving turnstile that required a Peso coin to unlock it so a person could go through.

My wife wanted to use the facilities and had some coins so no problem. I sat on a bench waiting for her and watching the crowd that gathered in front of the turnstile. Much muttering was going on about not having any coins to use.

Then a sudden rush out of the bus terminal to locate a facilities elsewhere.

When wife came out she said that there was no paper available inside. Lucky she is an experienced traveler and had a supply with her.

A good rule of thumb. Don't leave home without some local currency, some paper, and a small bottle of hand sanatizer.

Bob