Packing Medications

Belletella

Hi guys,

Im cruisng next month on carnival spirit to pacific islands.

Just wondering can you pack in your check in luggage medications/vitamins without having to have them in my carry on bag?

Would really love your suggestions ☺

Never put necessary meds (or required docs or expensive personal electronics et al.) in a bag that will be checked/stowed while in transit or otherwise out of your control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All our medications go in our carry on bags. I have one medical bag that holds all prescriptions and another medical bag that holds all over the counter medications.

We keep all medications in their original containers -- a few times over the years TSA has opened and checked the medical bags. We have no choice but to fly to embarkation ports and fly home as well.

I always take 5 extra days of medications.

This is one of the very rare CC issues on which there is almost unanimity :). Packing needed medications in checked luggage is a potential disaster (easily avoided). And for those that use very important prescription medications....it is always wise to carry an extra few days supply. On the other hand, if you are "vitamin freak" (we have one in DW's family) you might not have enough room in carry-on for all the products :). When the USA increased security after 9/11....TSA used to "request" that all prescription drugs be put in a clear 1 quart bag. We laughed at that rule since we needed a gallon bag for just our prescription drugs on longer trips. But TSA never enforced the 1 quart rule...or we would have been in trouble (or taking shorter trips).

Hank

As mentioned take medications in carry on.

For things like vitamins we have checked them in or taken in the carry on.

But for those prescriptions we do carry on because if they went lost we would have a major problem.

It's funny. We just flew to Australia. For the first time we had the prescriptions in the original bottles based on what I read on their web site and letters from the doctors based on what I read on the Australia site. No one ever asked for them.

With that said, it can't hurt to keep them in their original container unless you feel like you don't have room but the TSA site does still recommend carrying them in the original bottle although I never hear of anyone getting checked.

Keith

Of course, agree with the others to always carry on meds. 1. while it's not common, airlines can misplace luggage and with a cruise, it's entirely possible that it could take multiple days and flights for the luggage to catch up with you. and 2. what's very common is when your luggage comes to your room late. there was someone on the Norwegian board not long ago. His wife needs ensure with dinner and was mad that the luggage didn't come before dinner. Of course, when suggested that he could have carried that on he was unhappy with the suggestion. But yes, best to have any essentials carried with you.

I never take medication of any kind . However,I do take vitamins and always pack them in my carry on.

"Never" really ?....I always take certain OTC medications with us when we cruise...better to have them and not need them than to need something and not have it JMHO.

Always in my carry on. I never want to chance getting separated from my medication. As an example of "anything can happen" the travel agent we have used for YEARS was stranded IN THE U.S., but not close to home and not close to the EUROPEAN port he was traveling to when that volcano erupted several years ago. First thing he mentioned was how thankful he was that he had his medication and a change of clothes in his carry on. OTC meds are a different issue, but I always carry them. I got sick one night after the ship left a port. All the shops were closed and of course, shops were still closed when we arrived in the port. I had to get off the ship and try to find a pharmacy. In this particular port in the Caribbean, I had a hard time finding cold medicine I could take. I could have gone to Medical and paid an outrageous price, but that would have been my only other option. Absolutely ruined my day (and my daughters) for us to try scrambling around. I never leave home without OTC meds since then.

I never put meds in checked luggage. Fortunately, we have never had this happen to us, but I have been on cruises where it was near the end of the cruise before checked luggage caught up with some passengers. While the cruise ships have some meds available, the odds of them having your particular meds are slim at best. DH once forgot one of his meds on an international trip and we had an extremely difficult time getting him what he needed. For cruises and international trips, I also carry a small medicine kit with OTC meds which I put in my carry-on on outbound flights. For anything that comes in a box, like cold medications, I take the meds out of the box, collapse the box, then put the whole thing in a ziplock bag. That way I always know what it is but it doesn't take up any room in my carry-on. For prescription meds, I take an extra week with me, just in case we get delayed.

As to the question of whether they need to stay in original bottles, I have always carried my prescription meds portioned out in those "daily" containers you get at the drugstores and have never had any problems at customs.