Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

No drinks package on that cruise.

The fighting was for days, not 4 minutes. Ship pulled an unscheduled stop at Eden NSW and was met by federal police. We will see on the news tonight what went down.

Just as well no one was carrying. But then that don't happen down here.

Check out more detail and conjecture on Australian and NZ board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2599725

lets hope all cruiselines in Australia have got the names of these people who caused this mayhem and ban them from all cruises. Maybe they should have been taken off the ship earlier. Bit disappointing reading comments about the security staff. Easy to say how bad they were but put yourself in their position.

lets hope all cruiselines in Australia have got the names of these people who caused this mayhem and ban them from all cruises. Maybe they should have been taken off the ship earlier. Bit disappointing reading comments about the security staff. Easy to say how bad they were but put yourself in their position.

I would never put myself in that position by being part of security if I was clueless.

We don't have CHEERS here in Australia. So no getting real drunk here in Oz.

I love how they kicked the 26 from the extended family that caused this Fracus off The boat via Australia's Federal Police. took them to a place Called Eden; which is about half way between Sydney & Melbourne charged a few & made them get there own way home back to Melbourne.

Shows if you mis-behave you will suffer the outcome..

This is the first time for Carnival in Australia that this has happened. It's normally The Family fun Ship...

Happy Cruising..

Edited by Hunter69

The security was violent? Maybe a few mild cheap shots, but not violent.

o.k. but if this is all you have to go by to judge the adequacy of Carnival's ship security, would you feel more or less safe after watching this? They clearly had no control over the situation. I imagine the fight dissolved when the participants started to tire.

And nobody with Carnival security carries a taser or zip cuffs?

We don't have CHEERS here in Australia. So no getting real drunk here in Oz.

I love how they kicked the 26 from the extended family that caused this Fracus off The boat via Australia's Federal Police. took them to a place Called Eden; which is about half way between Sydney & Melbourne charged a few 7 made them get there own way home back to Melbourne.

Shows if you mis-behave you will suffer the outcome..

This is the first time for Carnival in Australia that this has happened. It's normally The Family fun Ship...

Happy Cruising..

Good. I’m glad there were consequences for those people. Now Carnival needs to address security & use that video as a “What NOT to do” training exercise.

From the first video I saw it looked like Carnival security was kicking someone which looked shocking. But then I saw a photo from a different angle and the guy being kicked had someone pinned under him. I think they were just trying to get the guy to let go and get off the person on the ground.

Agree this will trigger a whole new round of security training for probably all company employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

o.k. but if this is all you have to go by to judge the adequacy of Carnival's ship security, would you feel more or less safe after watching this? They clearly had no control over the situation. I imagine the fight dissolved when the participants started to tire.

And nobody with Carnival security carries a taser or zip cuffs?

Thank g-d they don’t have tasers. They cannot control their feet I am sure their trigger fingers would have been hyper also!

I work somewhere that has the potential for this type of situation to happen daily. We have security staff on hand and walking "the floor" 24/7 as we are a 24 hour operation. Much like the cruise lines. A constant and visible presence of security is not a bad thing. They can be on hand for the mundane (helping with wheelchairs, answering questions, helping to direct traffic), but also be available at a moments notice when something goes awry.

None of this is helpful at all if they are not properly trained to restrain people, diffuse situations, and separate fights. These are skills that are taught. They do not come naturally, no matter what any bouncer may think. You must learn to keep a cool head and approach each situation differently and know how to assess and respond appropriately.

Absolutely none of this happened. They didn't secure a perimeter to protect other guests. They didn't attempt to separate the fighters correctly (kicking at the guy on top won't help), they didn't accurately determine who was and who WASN'T involved...hence the civilian woman in a skirt almost getting punched by security.

These are heated situations and only professionals can handle this with training.

Not cool Carnival. Not cool.

It was a large family group who had caused trouble from day 1, threatening passengers with violence etc. There had been various incidents throughout the cruise and trouble the night before. They probably should have been booted off the cruise earlier. A cruise where security have no backup when things escalate, is no place for a group of aggressive, violent people.

This is what happens when you have cut backs and people get there nickels and dimes taken away from them. But seems like they don’t have any spare change to hire qualified people. Cannot wait for my next carnival cruise - look like it’s the funship special right in the kisser

This has nothing to do with cutbacks and all to do with the people who were fighting.

I don't think security should be taking shots, kicks, hits at anyone regardless Of how they feel about them. They have a job to do and should be professional at all times. This really makes carnival look bad. This brings up a question: legally can carnival employees stop you from filming with your phone? Can they confiscate your phone and delete pictures and\or video? Does anyone know?

A Panamanian-registered ship that departed Australia sailing in international waters? Who knows what laws apply. Certainly not the US Constitution.

Kudos to Carnival's security people for doing what needed to be done to break up the brawl.

For those of you complaining about the methods, wise up. The security folks did what they needed to do. Do you expect your garbage collectors to wear white gloves and treat your trash like fine china?

The video is much more understandable after reading the various articles. Sounds like this family was just roaming the ship looking for a fight. One man said he was attacked by them after making eye contact in the hallway and spent a couple days hiding from them. Another man appears to have gotten beat down on the lido for something to do with a thong. I bet security has never had to deal with anything like them. They are really just a keep the peace force.

This has nothing to do with cutbacks and all to do with the people who were fighting.

Sorry not sure how this doesn’t happen. Cut staff/training = cost savings. When you don’t have enough staff you don’t know what’s going on or get the pulse of the the people. Poor behavior is poor behavior but cut backs are a real issue and have consequences.

These responses that excuse the Security guards behavior are troubling. Since when is it okay to literally & figuratively kick a man while he is down? It is evident that either they haven't received training on how to handle these situations or they let their personal feelings get in the way of professionalism. Either way...it is a very bad look for Carnival. Someone has to remain professional & exhibit judgement above that of passengers.

Kudos to Carnival's security people for doing what needed to be done to break up the brawl.

For those of you complaining about the methods, wise up. The security folks did what they needed to do. Do you expect your garbage collectors to wear white gloves and treat your trash like fine china?

Did you watch this video?? The security people look like bozos except clowns only scare some people. I expect my sanitation workers to collect my garbage not to toss it back at me or throw my cans at my car. These workers are literally kicking someone when they were down. The big guy in the white uniform took a cheap shot kick. Don’t even try to excuse this. The only response from carnival should be we fired all of them!