Anyone remember Celebrity Mercury?

Presto2

Put me in the group of folks who also loved Mercury. I sailed her 7 or 8 times......Century, Mercury and Galaxy were all C class ships.....loved them all. Back in the day, your waiter would be standing at the dining room table, waiting to pull the chair out for you......Mercury was my first cruise to Alaska back in 2005.....loved it and her!

I have to say, Century was my first Celebrity cruise in 2003 to the Western Caribbean..........she had me fall in love with cruising. Those C class ships got me hooked.

We miss all the Century class ships. Sailed on all but the Mercury. They were the perfect size. imho

Rollie

Totally agree, Did one on Mercury, two on Galaxy and four on Century. Loved then all. They were classy, good-sized ships. If they haven't changed her much, you will love it.

I have to say, Century was my first Celebrity cruise in 2003 to the Western Caribbean..........she had me fall in love with cruising. Those C class ships got me hooked.

Hi Lois! I have to say that out of the three, Century was the prettiest. It had lovely stairwells and the Murano Specialty restaurant they added that gave the name to all of the other ships was a beautiful space.

Phil

Hi, this may seem a silly question, but we are considering booking a one week cruise and then stay in Sorrento on TUI's 'new' ship the Explorer 2. It made us smile to see that she used to be the Celebrity Mercury. Still has her X funnel !

We know that she will have changed in many ways but are wondering if anyone on here can give us any information re the size of the ship and what the suites were like - size, location etc - and if the aft cabins were good.

Sorry if this seems silly to ask, but am sure that there are some of you out there who have lots of knowledge about the old Celebrity ships.

It is our 25th anniversary and we have been going around in circles for months now checking out cruises and land holidays. This cruise would give us a weeks cruise and then a stay in Sorrento where we had our honeymoon. To be honest we had looked at the Edge and then seen this cruise and stay.

Many thanks

Explorer 2 is Century, not Mercury.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Hi Lois! I have to say that out of the three, Century was the prettiest. It had lovely stairwells and the Murano Specialty restaurant they added that gave the name to all of the other ships was a beautiful space.

Phil

Agree, I remember all the wood in the MDR.

Hi Phil, Denny and Don:D...this must be old home week;p

That main dining room on Century was simply "GRAND":D..........

The only thing on Mercury that was really funky was the Martini Bar. It was so little, if you remember the actual bar only had about bar stools..........

I love seeing so many that say Mercury was their first ever.

It was my DW and my first as well. Absolutely love it. We went on Millennium the next year. It was nowhere close to the same.

I can't comment on the current status of the ship, but for us, it was fantastic.

The only thing on Mercury that was really funky was the Martini Bar. It was so little, if you remember the actual bar only had about bar stools..........

I left out the number:eek:......I think the Martini Bar only had 4 bar stools........

Mercury was also our first X cruise...and I hesitate to say this, but we didn't like it at all!

It was our first cruise off of NCL, Princess, RCCL...and we thought it was so BORING. No announcements, no fun Bingo, no anything...LOL...actually if 9/11 didn't happen, and X hadn't made us an offer we couldn't refuse on another cruise, we would never be the X cheerleaders that we are today.

Thank goodness we did try Celebrity again, and LOVED it, and it has been our only cruise line since.

Hi Lois!

I too remember the small Martini Bar. But that ship had character. Beautiful wood detail, and a wonderful cruising atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Lois!

I too remember the small Martini Bar. But that ship had character. Beautiful wood detail, and a wonderful cruising atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Karyn!:).....yes, the C class ships had their own character/individuality to them for sure.

We are also part of the first ever Mercury Club. The cruise to Alaska out of Seattle was our first X cruise and we were hooked to X as our favorite line. Cruising then did have a nostalgic days of yore feel that is gone on current ships. (Main stream). We still enjoy our cruises, but the experience is definitely different.

She was in the same class as Galaxy I think and that was a wonderful ship, still remember a Greek Isles cruise on her as one of our favourites and the hydrotherapy pool (nicknamed the la la pool by the children - don't ask me why) was the best ever, it was huge. Happy memories.

;p

She was in the same class as Galaxy I think and that was a wonderful ship, still remember a Greek Isles cruise on her as one of our favourites and the hydrotherapy pool (nicknamed the la la pool by the children - don't ask me why) was the best ever, it was huge. Happy memories.

Of course your kids never actually went into the “La La” pool, because it was always adults only. ;p

;p

Of course your kids never actually went into the “La La” pool, because it was always adults only. ;p

All I will say is that two of them were quite tall for their age, from memory they had to be over 16, I'll say no more!

Mercury is with TUI Cruises (Germany) since 2011 but she is Mein Schiff 2 and will not become Marella Explorer 2 with Marella Cruises (former TUI UK or Thompson UK). This will be the former Century.

Mercury is in great conditions and this will stay unchanged at least until 2022! She is better maintained than most M class ships. She gained some balconies and a duck tail in 2011 but still looks beautiful!

The thing that really sold me on Celebrity during my first cruise on the Mercury was the staff. There was our incomparable waiter, Carlos, who still works for Celebrity. I've not had the pleasure of sailing with him again, but my sister did and he remembered us. Lots of pictures were exchanged. Any time I asked for something from a staff member, the response was: It would be my pleasure. My camera card decided to go wonky and I feared I had lost all my whale pictures. Went to the computer lab and they told me not to worry, they had a program that could recover them. They also explained what to do to keep that from happening again (reformat your card before re-using).

We ended up on Mercury when our cruise on Millenium was cancelled for a charter...lucky for us...loved Mercury...for the ship itself, the fellow pasengers, and as you mentioned, the outstanding crew and exceptional service.

It was our 2nd cruise together after a trial run for dh on Sovereign of the Seas...like day and night! Glad he decided to give Celebrity a try!

We liked Century too...great ship for Europe. On our last cruise on her to W Carib, they had removed the T pool, installed a barber shop and enlarged the spa...We seriously missed that T pool

Like Daviekathy, our first Celebrity cruise was on the Mercury in 2005 12 night mexican rivera from San Diego. It was indeed a great cruise. We were in one of those fantastic sky suites on deck 12 with a HUGE deck .. I remember there was an overhang that you could sit under for shade and out of view of others, and then a huge space uncovered .. great for catching sun, however people on the deck above could look down. At that time there was one dining room and only fixed seating. The crew was fantastic. It was a beautiful ship and converted us from Princess and Holland America to Celebrity being our favorite cruise line.

Wow! I am just blown away with the affection that so many of you have for this lovely ship. As our signature shows we sailed on Silhouette when she was new and she still has a special place in our hearts. Similarly, the older P&O Oceana - just a beautiful, beautiful former Princess ship.

Have enjoyed reading every one of your posts ... but I think we have made our decision re our 25th ! (I feel a drum roll coming on!!!)

After going around in circles for what seems forever I think we are going to go with Celebrity Edge as the itinerary is fabulous , we trust the service of Celebrity and the ship looks exciting (though we are not 100% convinced). We read some reviews of TUI and were not convinced about the service on the former Mercury now ... sad

Ironically, if the Mercury was still with Celebrity we would have chosen her -------

Thank you all so much for your input and if nothing else, though we haven't booked the TUI cruise, we hope that this thread has brought back many happy memories for you all

:-)