Preception of Celebrity to a possible new cruiser to the line

airlink diva

We had our worst cruise on Royal Legend OTS about 4 years ago. Highlights (or should I say lowlights) were a balcony divider that kept slamming open and banging into deck furniture all night, shower that backed up daily with water pouring into the stateroom despite calling maintenance repeatedly for both. Specialty dinner reservation in Chops not honored, keeping us waiting at 9:00PM for over an hour when we could clearly see most of the tables were empty, then poor service making dinner last until past midnight. Passengers smoked everywhere in spite of ships crew trying valiantly to curtail it. Severe high seas caused me to roll out of bed onto the floor one night, then the same conditions preventing us from docking in port the next morning. A ship excursion where the bus skipped featured parts of the excursion, then filled with fumes leaving us at a souvenir shop for 1 1/2 hours until a new bus could be sent, then returned to the ship directly and skipped the second half of the excursion. Shore excursion manager refused to meet with us, despite calling and asking that we do so. All that said, DH and I kept our sense of humor and managed to enjoy ourselves. I'd still sail Royal, but reluctantly. We haven't had any awful X cruises, certainly nothing akin to our last Royal experience. I would dismiss certain mishaps as a "one off." If we no longer enjoy, we'll make other choices. Happily, there a lots of travel opportunities out there and we're fortunate enough to able to take advantage of them. Happy travels!

I’m not keen on Vision class ships either. Surprisingly, the huge gals we found are pretty good, although Radiance class are our favourite. We like to vary our itineraries and X are not providing much difference in the Med, even with the high pricing ;).

The main thing you're seeing (IMHO) is a bunch of long-time Celebrity cruisers bemoaning how the Celebrity of today doesn't measure up to their (possibly hazy) memories of the (supposed) "golden age" when they began sailing Celebrity. Take the current product on its own, and it's still very good.

I am beyond disappointed to see such a post from a Cruise Critic host. At best generally insulting, at worst even more insulting with the implied age bias.

I have cruised Celebrity since 1992. My memory is just fine, thank you. And it is not my imagination that the golden age of cruising was just that as probably 95% of those cruising as long on Celebrity as I have will tell you. Celebrity is indeed still a wonderful product. But in saying so I do not need to pretend that it has all changed for the better.

I’m going to have to find your posts, as I’m worried now.

We are going on the Italy and Greek islands cruise on 8th June, so I hope it’s not a repeat of your experience.

Maybe the drinks package perk adds to the problem.

The drink package glosses over any problems. Food, if you can still taste it, taste better, the entertainment looks better and it loosens up the grip on your wallet.

Hi everyone!

I've sailed primary on Carnival for my short cruises and Holland America for my longer cruises. I decided to try another cruise line for 2019 and Celebrity is one that I was looking at.

For the past few weeks been on this board reading reviews and other threads and noticed something.

It seems if I travel in an inside or outside cabin, just the basic and non of the classes like "Aqua", just eat in the MDR not to expect much.

Now this is just my perception from reading threads on this page. Still curious about Celebrity but asking those who don't do suites or any of the packages,etc, those who just cruise to enjoy the ports and ships how is it for a solo cruiser who happy with an inside or outside cabin??

I definitely understand your anxiety. The people on here who take "critic" a little too seriously IMHO actually scared me off from a cruise I had planned on the Reflection - it was so easy to find negative reviews and comments, and the positive were few and far between.

I have decided to go on the EDGE this coming February and form my own opinion about the line. The fact that it will be so new does make me nervous, but at the same time, it won't be as subject to the "they used to do this on the ship..." as the older ships. I hope.

Have you read this thread? The constant carping is turning off new customers! Is that what you want–for Celebrity to go broke? Just because it doesn't measure up to the old days doesn't mean new customers like OP won't have a good time moving over from another mainstream cruise line [which also isn't as good as it was in its 'golden age'].

Jazz, respectfully think your comment is out of line. Celebrity has food that is a cut above the other mainstream cruiselines in every dining venue on board from the buffet to the specialty restaurants.

As to the good old days, as things became more and more expensive all cruise companies have tried to cut costs. There are also lots of complainers on the internet. For food portions being too small - ask for another steak and they will gladly bring it - to snobbish attitudes about cabins. My dear wife have cruised multiple times in everything from a suite to an inside cabin. Celebrity has treated us exactly the same no matter our cabin choice. We find it our preferred way to cruise.

Have you read this thread? The constant carping is turning off new customers! Is that what you want–for Celebrity to go broke? Just because it doesn't measure up to the old days doesn't mean new customers like OP won't have a good time moving over from another mainstream cruise line [which also isn't as good as it was in its 'golden age'].

Jazz, respectfully think your comment is out of line. Celebrity has food that is a cut above the other mainstream cruiselines in every dining venue on board from the buffet to the specialty restaurants.

As to the good old days, as things became more and more expensive all cruise companies have tried to cut costs. There are also lots of complainers on the internet. For food portions being too small - ask for another steak and they will gladly bring it - to snobbish attitudes about cabins. My dear wife have cruised multiple times in everything from a suite to an inside cabin. Celebrity has treated us exactly the same no matter our cabin choice. We find it our preferred way to cruise.

I'm very confused by your post, as it appears to me that you are agreeing with everything I said!

WrittenOnYourHeart,

Just common sence.

You have a ship A.

Then you build a modified copy of this ship to name it a ship B.

The modification includes: adding more passengers, reducing public space, removing some amenities, converting some free venuies into $$.

Does one really need to take "critic" too seriously to evaluate the difference that is pretty obvious?

But the problem is....

We need to have certain skills and experience to do something right (from cooking to playing tennis).

But how can I see the difference if I have no idea about the ships? It may be frustrating, that is absolutely understandable.

An ability to collect ship facts and put them together to reveal the difference is a skill.

That is what cruise critics do.

As one have learned how to see the transition from A to B, he will easily see... what the ship C is going to be...

Have a great cruise vacation!

I'm not talking about people complaining about number of people. I'm talking the constant "the food is gross" and "the service was horrible" and so forth. Honestly I'd read some reviews and just try to pick my jaw up off the floor - especially if there was some caveat like "I hoped things had improved, but they hadn't.". I know it's subjective, and I know that familiarity can breed contempt, but honestly if I was having that rotten of a time, I'd find another way to vacation either on a line possibly more suited to those refined palates people seemed to have OR something other than cruising.

Never a fan of the changes that RCI/Celebrity are going through, but with all respect, I do agree with Jazz.

I am a cruise ship guy, so this is how it works for me: please name a ship from "the good old days", put it next to the Solstice, and then we'll talk. :)

I don't think the people, like me, who prefer the god old days ( 4-5 years ago), aren't talking about the ships themselves but what you get on the ship, the quality of the food, service, entertainment, etc. I'm not talking about all the things added that require an extra charge. Most of the things that made cruising special are gone and the sad thing is that they probably didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Though we gave them a second and third chance, we knew that it was coming to an end several years ago when we did the east bound TA on the Silhouette, we paid $600 p.p. for a balcony and when we got home we thought we overpaid.

We are going to try the suite life on RCL in October to see if we can find something to our liking. It's not the cost, it's the satisfaction. If not, there's plenty other options.

As far as the Solstice, we have three cruises on her, ten more on the other Solstice Class ships, and twelve other cruises on the other classes, so we have a good understanding of the choices.

We are going to try the suite life on RCL in October to see if we can find something to our liking. It's not the cost, it's the satisfaction. If not, there's plenty other options.

As far as the Solstice, we have three cruises on her, ten more on the other Solstice Class ships, and twelve other cruises on the other classes, so we have a good understanding of the choices.

Grandgeezer, hope you enjoy your RC suite experience.

As cruisers who have experienced the suite life on RC. make sure you check carefully what is available on the ship you book, then at what level of suite category your room is classed at.

For example, no separate suite dining area on Freedom class down in ship size, Genie service only available for very top suites on Oasis class, Junior suites on Oasis not given lounge access but can book into Coastal Kitchen....

We did bump into a few cruisers on Oasis who had booked mid range suites and had been disappointed that they had not been entitled to certain perks....We also met a JS couple who had been told by their TA that they had access to Coastal Kitchen only to find out once on board they could not use it for breakfast or lunch. You really do need to read the ‘small print’ on your individual ship and room choice on RC!

We, after a gap of a few years from cruising RC, did an Oasis cruise last January. We enjoyed having a different range of suite rooms to choose from and enjoyed a wider range of shows but found food quality and general service levels lower than on Celebrity. We also found the ship ‘louder’. It does depend what is important to you as to how it will suit you.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise...I look forward to seeing your opinions posted.

If I was unhappy with the food, service, room quality, entertainment on any vacation I'd walk with my feet rather than type with my fingers (other than let the company involved know what happened in an email or snail mail). I wouldn't keep repeating it and expect a different result. Isn't doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result a sign of insanity?! ;)

I’m going to have to find your posts, as I’m worried now.

We are going on the Italy and Greek islands cruise on 8th June, so I hope it’s not a repeat of your experience.

Maybe the drinks package perk adds to the problem.

I am doing this cruise on Friday and expect it to be fantastic. Quite a few years ago we did it the first week of June and it was awesome for four of us...this time on Reflection...second time for cruise and second time for ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Grandgeezer, hope you enjoy your RC suite experience.

As cruisers who have experienced the suite life on RC. make sure you check carefully what is available on the ship you book, then at what level of suite category your room is classed at.

For example, no separate suite dining area on Freedom class down in ship size, Genie service only available for very top suites on Oasis class, Junior suites on Oasis not given lounge access but can book into Coastal Kitchen....

We did bump into a few cruisers on Oasis who had booked mid range suites and had been disappointed that they had not been entitled to certain perks....We also met a JS couple who had been told by their TA that they had access to Coastal Kitchen only to find out once on board they could not use it for breakfast or lunch. You really do need to read the ‘small print’ on your individual ship and room choice on RC!

We, after a gap of a few years from cruising RC, did an Oasis cruise last January. We enjoyed having a different range of suite rooms to choose from and enjoyed a wider range of shows but found food quality and general service levels lower than on Celebrity. We also found the ship ‘louder’. It does depend what is important to you as to how it will suit you.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise...I look forward to seeing your opinions posted.

We are booked in a Grand Suite and have it fully scoped out. Thanks for the inside scoop and it was real nice to get a response without judging what I was doing and why.

I am doing this cruise on Friday and expect it to be fantastic. Quite a few years ago we did it the first week of June and it was awesome for four of us...this time on Reflection...second time for cruise and second time for ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lastdance, I am so envious of your cruise this Friday. We did Italy and Greece on the Reflection last September and it was such an amazing cruise. It is our favorite ship - we have been on her 3 times and feel like we are going home when we return. The staff is amazing, the dining venues wonderful and the ship is beautiful. The cruise exceeded our expectations! :D

Have a wonderful time!

That sounds like an interesting book, Jazzbeau. Can you remember what it was called and the author? Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, I needed some time for research – but I came up half-empty anyway :confused:

I think it was this one:

The Only Way to Cross: The Golden Era of the great Atlantic express liners---from the Mauretania to the France and the Queen Elizabeth 2 by John Maxtone-Graham

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Way-Cross-liners-Mauretania/dp/0760706379/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1524801250&sr=8-9&keywords=ocean+liners

Sorry for the delay, I needed some time for research – but I came up half-empty anyway :confused:

I think it was this one:

The Only Way to Cross: The Golden Era of the great Atlantic express liners---from the Mauretania to the France and the Queen Elizabeth 2 by John Maxtone-Graham

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Way-Cross-liners-Mauretania/dp/0760706379/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1524801250&sr=8-9&keywords=ocean+liners

Thank you, Jazzbeau for researching that for me. I will have a read ... :)

If you ever visit Bristol, go and tour SS Great Western. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVaHPmQChI.

See how it was like to sail on the world's first cruise ship.

Or visit the Queen Mary in San Diego CA. It was eye-opening what passed for luxury in those days. Even an Inside on a modern cruise ship gives you more luxury in every category today [except the luxury of fancy dress, which I'm quite glad to be rid of ;)]

Actually, if you want a real ides of what shipboard life was like 110 years ago, there is a book by Albert Bigelow Paine called The Ship Dwellers: The story of a happy cruise. I believe he took the trip in 1908 and published the book in 1909. It was a cruise to Europe and the Orient which at that time was Palestine. The backstory is that when he was a boy, his father had brought home a newly published book called The Innocents Abroad, by Mark Twain. Also a story of a cruise to Europe. This was published in 1867. Paine was so entranced with the story that in his 40's or so, he tried to recreate it. It is an interesting read, particularly if you have visited some of the places he does. My only disappointment is that he sort of left off on the trip home. Perhaps he ran out of adjectives... After I read it, I went back and read the Mark Twain book. It reads like a college graduate on the grand tour, without anyone to reign him in. I liked Paine's book better. At the time someone on CC recommended it, it was free on Amazon for Kindle. It may cost a buck now. EM

Actually SS Great Britain (the first iron ocean liner with a screw propulsion system).

Ocean view stateroom:

A501.jpg

My first cruise in 1983 was in a port hole cabin not much bigger than this. ;) We had a wonderful time!

Interestingly, the Golden Age (1983) of cruising didn't agree with me because of lack of stabilizers, I assume. I had severe vertigo for 3 weeks after that first cruise. Luckily when we cruised again, on a newer ship, the vertigo after the next 3 cruises on that ship was less of an issue and now I don't have it at all. :D

Actually, if you want a real ides of what shipboard life was like 110 years ago, there is a book by Albert Bigelow Paine called The Ship Dwellers: The story of a happy cruise. I believe he took the trip in 1908 and published the book in 1909. It was a cruise to Europe and the Orient which at that time was Palestine. The backstory is that when he was a boy, his father had brought home a newly published book called The Innocents Abroad, by Mark Twain. Also a story of a cruise to Europe. This was published in 1867. Paine was so entranced with the story that in his 40's or so, he tried to recreate it. It is an interesting read, particularly if you have visited some of the places he does. My only disappointment is that he sort of left off on the trip home. Perhaps he ran out of adjectives... After I read it, I went back and read the Mark Twain book. It reads like a college graduate on the grand tour, without anyone to reign him in. I liked Paine's book better. At the time someone on CC recommended it, it was free on Amazon for Kindle. It may cost a buck now. EM

Thanks for the recommendations!