FYI: Staples Now Offering TSA-PreCheck

Enrolling In TSA PreCheck Just Got Easier

by Garrett Schaffel | AARP | April 25, 2018

Enrolling in TSAPreCheck is getting more convenient. The office retailer Staples saidthis week it will open 50 enrollment centers this summer, making it the secondretailer to offer the service run by IDEMIA, the security company whoseIdentoGo centers comprise all of the more than 360 TSA enrollment spotsnationwide.

The centers are already in some state motor vehicle officesand IDEMIA says it plans to open more in retail stores soon. Thefirst wave of Staples enrollment centers will be in Boston, New York, Chicago,Dallas, Seattle and Los Angeles, with plans for more cities. There are 41enrollment centers for TSA PreCheck in airports.

Created in 2011, TSA PreCheck is a prescreening program that allowstravelers easier access to security at airports. Users pay an $85 fee forfive years of coverage after filling out an application and going through therequisite screening process — which includes a fingerprint scan and backgroundcheck at an enrollment center. TSA says PreCheck customers facesecurity wait times of five minutes or less.

To enroll at the centers coming to Staples, travelers will needto make an appointment online at IdentoGo.com and fill in some biographicalinformation, including name and address. When arriving for their appointment,customers must have a birth certificate and driver’s license/state-issuedidentification, or a passport. They will meet with a TSA-approved enrollmentagent, who will take fingerprints and verify information. Ten to 30 days later,customers will get their "known traveler number" (KTN), which theycan input every time they buy an airline ticket. That number triggers the TSAPreCheck logo visible on boarding passes and allows travelers access to the fastersecurity lines.

For only $15 more, in major cities (including those listed above), you can just go to Global Entry which gives expedited immigration and customs in addition to PreCheck. Would definitely recommend it.

For only $15 more, in major cities (including those listed above), you can just go to Global Entry which gives expedited immigration and customs in addition to PreCheck. Would definitely recommend it.

Agree, as I have it also.

I would much rather have the Global Entry than the Known Traveler Number, but driving over 2 hours to a city where I can get it is out of the question. I have settled for the Known Traveler Number because I could get it locally.

I wish there were more locations available for Global Entry as it is difficult to get to the ones in existence and for those who work weekdays, it's next to impossible unless it's in your city. JMO.

yep .... TSA PRE is expanding their enrolment centers

but for Global Entry is appears you must visit an actual ICE office .....

I recently went thru this drill .... went to renew car registration and saw a TSA PRE window at the tax office. Got motivated but then realized the few dollars more for GE was worth it since we're going to Norway soon.

Checked my nearest major airport and appointments were months out ..... grrrr.

THEN saw that a secondary airport near me was on the list ... got an appointment the next day!

I also agree about having Global entry. I would need to travel to another city 2 hours away during a work day to apply for Global Entry.

I would much rather have the Global Entry than the Known Traveler Number, but driving over 2 hours to a city where I can get it is out of the question. I have settled for the Known Traveler Number because I could get it locally.

I wish there were more locations available for Global Entry as it is difficult to get to the ones in existence and for those who work weekdays, it's next to impossible unless it's in your city. JMO.

(y)(y) We are 2 hours from LAX and 2 hours from San Diego. Something closer would make it worthwhile. Seems like a program that could be added to passport offices in the local post office.

We don’t have TSA Precheck, but it has automatically printed on our Boarding Passes 5 of the last 6 times we have flown. I’m not sure of their method for choosing who gets it and maybe we just got lucky.

I have also noticed that with more people getting PreCheck, there is not much difference in the line lengths between the PreCheck and standard lines at some airports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"The first wave of Staples enrollment centers will be in Boston, New York, Chicago,Dallas, Seattle and Los Angeles, with plans for more cities."

LOL... So they're adding them to cities that already have easy access to enrollment centers. The lines might be getting longer for PreCheck, but they're still much faster since we're not fumbling to remove/put on belts and shoes or taking laptops out of bags.

You can enroll in Global Entry just before a trip and then do the interview when you go to the airport, just arrive an hour or so early.

If your local airport does not offer it, if fly and connect through an airport that does, book and a long layover and do your interview.

The "interview" is mainly watching a video on using hte kiosks, getting your fingerprints taken (electronically) and scanning your passport(s).

One caveat, if you are one the people with more that one passport, designate the one that has the furthest out expiration date as "primary." When the "primary" passport expires, your Global Entry stops working at the kiosks.

We don’t have TSA Precheck, but it has automatically printed on our Boarding Passes 5 of the last 6 times we have flown. I’m not sure of their method for choosing who gets it and maybe we just got lucky.

I have also noticed that with more people getting PreCheck, there is not much difference in the line lengths between the PreCheck and standard lines at some airports.

I believe it via your credit card if issued by a carrier. We had a United Explorer C/C and it was though this that we were usually designated as PreCheck. There have been a lot of complaints that the Pre lines are getting too long and it may impact these kind of designations.

I have had the same experience as you. We don't fly much maybe once or twice a year to Florida so it' not even worth the time effort or cost to sign up for PreCheck. Next trip I just paid JetBlue $10 each for more speed so I can use the expedited security line at JFK. It's not the waiting that bothers me it's the taking out the electronics, liquids and taking off the shoes and belt that is annoying. Being able to pay is another reason that the line is long. It does move quickly.

You can enroll in Global Entry just before a trip and then do the interview when you go to the airport, just arrive an hour or so early.

You’re making the assumption that you can get an appointment at the exact day and time you want, which is often very difficult

I have neved signed up for TSA pre-check/global entry but am always directed to those lines once my passport is checked. My husband, who has been on nearly every flight with me, is stuck in the cattle call lines.

While good for me, it makes me wonder what other government lists I am on but would not want to be!

TSA Pre-Check lines at some airports that I traveled recently are starting to become longer than the regular lines! The advantage is becoming less obvious to me anyway. Global Entry however is a great thing to have.

We have NEXUS cards. They cost $50pp and give us TSA Pre-Check, Global Entry, Canada/US express border lanes and Canada Customs airport express entry. Personal interview at border office required.

Umm, both Global Entry and TSAPreCheck give out a Known Travel Number, both allow you to go through PreCheck Lines, but only one, Global, lets you speed through customs.

Ramona

Edited by NotThePest_Too
Didn't spell my name correctly - LOL

One caveat, if you are one the people with more that one passport, designate the one that has the furthest out expiration date as "primary." When the "primary" passport expires, your Global Entry stops working at the kiosks.

That video is on a loop and is no way part of the interview process. The agents are trained to recognize "tells" body language, voice stressors, etc. When I interviewed for my Global Entry three years ago @JFK, I live about 45min from the airport, I thought I would be grilled, I wasn't. However there was a expensive suited businessman who did get grilled. From entering the office to getting my fingerprints took no more than 45min if that.

They begin a background check from the moment you submit and pay the fee. The interview is to match you up with your answered questions and your body language.

Ramona

Umm, both Global Entry and TSAPreCheck give out a Known Travel Number, both allow you to go through PreCheck Lines, but only one, Global, lets you speed through customs.

Ramona

Does Global Entry help with customs in other countries besides the US?

Only oncoming to the US. However, there was some chatter about reciprocity, but in today's climate, I doubt it very much.

I received an email from the ministry in United Kingdome, Great Briton (?) that deals with travel (Immigration?) was offering a easy entry into England but it was only valid or efficacious if you traveled through at least six times a year ...if my memory serves me correctly. I wonder if the US State Department would have that info regarding reciprocity.

Global Entry is overseen by the U.S. Department of State so it is only valid for the U.S. However, it probably gives weight if you enter countries with favored nation status with the U.S. ...possibly.

Ramona

By the way, Global Entry application cost when I signed up for it (you're paying for the application only because if you are not approved, you don't get your money back) was $100 for five years. That comes out to just $20 per year to speed through US Customs and go through the Pre-Check Line.

Ramona