Putting together a group cruise

mkcurran

Good morning people of Cruise Critic.

I'm hoping I can pick your collective brains to save me hours of googling.

The Situation:

Grandkids want to go on a cruise for their senior trip (I swear with no influence from me!). A quick mention of this to the other kids, and now we have at least 4 family units interested in going. I'm sure if we mention this trip to the family at large we could pick up a few more family units.

What we need:

A cruise line that will have something for everyone. The wish list includes:

No requirements for jackets and ties--it just ain't going to happen with this crew.

Something that is budget minded, with drinks included.

If 18 year olds could drink, that would be a plus, but not a requirement.

A situation where the group benefits could be spread over the entire group.

Also if y'all have any experiences with wrangling a group for a cruise any insights and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank y'all so much!

1. what part of the world do you want to take a cruise?

2. do you have to fly to your cruise port?

3. what is your budget?

4. what is your favorite cruise line?

5. have you ever cruised before?

6. do you like the newer, bigger ships or smaller, older ships?

7. is food important?

8. what itineraries are you interested in?

There are TONS of questions to be considered and therefore impossible to answer your question without knowing you. I truly suggest you do some research before asking a bunch of strangers which ship is best for your family. Research is half the fun! When you at least narrow it down and be more specific, it will be much easier for us to help you.

****Also if y'all have any experiences with wrangling a group for a cruise any insights and suggestions would be appreciated.***

My mom takes the extended family on a cruise about every five years. Last cruise was out of Rome (14 people) and this June out of Venice (not budget minded) so can't offer you any help on that. But I got the job of researcher, guess because I don't have kids, so have extra time and travel a lot. Anyway, wrangling 15 people for shore excursions can be a PITA. I start a facebook group and then give a choice of two excursions (more than that is too much input from everyone). Then learned to set deadlines, otherwise people won't make a decision. So I say we are booking this on (insert date). Please let me know if you are a yes or a no. Then remind the people that I haven't heard from a few days before. Inevitably, someone will miss the deadline, so I then give one last reminder. "I am booking this for these people" and reiterate the costs, time, etc. We also usually spring for one excursion for everyone because my Mom pays for the cruise. Of course, everyone responds a lot quicker when it is a "free" excursion ... human nature I guess, hahahha.

Oh and my mom insists that we all eat in the MDR ... she buys so she sets the rules, sometimes it is the only time we all see each other for the day if we went off on our own. But ... that requires formal wear, so wouldn't work for your situation. In any event, have fun!!! We do have a lot of fun once we get everything researched and booked!

Edited by Izzblizz
not complete

I would advise consulting with a travel agent for a group booking - ask friends for advice if you don't have one. My other thoughts below:

Good morning people of Cruise Critic.

I'm hoping I can pick your collective brains to save me hours of googling.

The Situation:

Grandkids want to go on a cruise for their senior trip (I swear with no influence from me!). A quick mention of this to the other kids, and now we have at least 4 family units interested in going. I'm sure if we mention this trip to the family at large we could pick up a few more family units.

What we need:

No requirements for jackets and ties--it just ain't going to happen with this crew.

Probably Carnival and NCL are the best bets here, but check each line you are interested in for their dress code - several lines are reducing the level of formality. Very few lines will allow athletic wear in the MDR, but also won't require a jacket or tie. Do be prepared to need long pants for formal evenings (or opt for the buffet) on most lines.

Something that is budget minded, with drinks included.

NCL tends to have an "included" package (you pay gratuity on a high cost package) but you should compare total costs -it might be cheaper to purchase a package separately or the included package may be the better deal. Carnival doesn't discount their Cheers package except for a slight reduction if pre-bought vs. on-board.

If 18 year olds could drink, that would be a plus, but not a requirement.

Either RC or NCL allowed this for wine & beer with parent consent (but not alcohol), I don't remember which line. Carnival does not. Other lines might.

A situation where the group benefits could be spread over the entire group.

Also if y'all have any experiences with wrangling a group for a cruise any insights and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank y'all so much!

What we need:

No requirements for jackets and ties--it just ain't going to happen with this crew. Most of the mass market cruiselines gave dropped their requirements for jackets and ties in the MDR, although they may be recommended on whatever they call their "formal nights".

Something that is budget minded, with drinks included. That's a contradiction in terms. Only the luxury lines will include alcoholic drinks in the basic cruise fare. Very few of the mass market lines even include soft drinks. Usually tap water, coffee, tea, iced tea, and perhaps lemonade or a fruit punch are included.

If 18 year olds could drink, that would be a plus, but not a requirement. You will not find any North American cruises that will allow this. Europe, yes.

A situation where the group benefits could be spread over the entire group. Depends on how many cabins you have, whether you will qualify for group discounts .

Thank y'all so much!

If ever a situation required an experienced cruise TA, this is it. Get thee to a good travel agent, and have your family units book through them.

1. what part of the world do you want to take a cruise?--Caribbean or Mexico

2. do you have to fly to your cruise port?--Depending on the port, but assume yes.

3. what is your budget? --Well something like Crystal is out. I think the budget is in line with NCL/Carnival/Royal.

4. what is your favorite cruise line?--Don't really have one, yet.

5. have you ever cruised before?--Most of the group will be newbies.

6. do you like the newer, bigger ships or smaller, older ships?--I prefer smaller, but I don't think this will matter as much to the rest of the group. With the kids involved a megaship isn't off limits.

7. is food important?--As long as there is food, most will be happy. I'd like something that's good.

8. what itineraries are you interested in?--This is completely open.

There are TONS of questions to be considered and therefore impossible to answer your question without knowing you. I truly suggest you do some research before asking a bunch of strangers which ship is best for your family. Research is half the fun! When you at least narrow it down and be more specific, it will be much easier for us to help you.

I'm hoping to cut some of my research time out by narrowing down the options. Right now Galveston is looking like the cheapest flight for most of the group.

****Also if y'all have any experiences with wrangling a group for a cruise any insights and suggestions would be appreciated.***

My mom takes the extended family on a cruise about every five years. Last cruise was out of Rome (14 people) and this June out of Venice (not budget minded) so can't offer you any help on that. But I got the job of researcher, guess because I don't have kids, so have extra time and travel a lot. Anyway, wrangling 15 people for shore excursions can be a PITA. I start a facebook group and then give a choice of two excursions (more than that is too much input from everyone). Then learned to set deadlines, otherwise people won't make a decision. So I say we are booking this on (insert date). Please let me know if you are a yes or a no. Then remind the people that I haven't heard from a few days before. Inevitably, someone will miss the deadline, so I then give one last reminder. "I am booking this for these people" and reiterate the costs, time, etc. We also usually spring for one excursion for everyone because my Mom pays for the cruise. Of course, everyone responds a lot quicker when it is a "free" excursion ... human nature I guess, hahahha.

Oh and my mom insists that we all eat in the MDR ... she buys so she sets the rules, sometimes it is the only time we all see each other for the day if we went off on our own. But ... that requires formal wear, so wouldn't work for your situation. In any event, have fun!!! We do have a lot of fun once we get everything researched and booked!

We can get the guys into shirts with collars and slacks, but not jackets and ties. ;)

Thank you for your insights, and can I join your family? ;p

NCL and RC don’t allow alcohol consumption for minors for cruises leaving the US.

Then they'll probably just have to deal. I didn't figured the kids would get that particular wish full filled. ;)

If ever a situation required an experienced cruise TA, this is it. Get thee to a good travel agent, and have your family units book through them.

Good advice but I'd like to have my ducks more in a row before we get there. Right now it's more like squirrel at a rave. ;)

When my family do group cruises, we don't even try to coordinate excursions. The things that interest my father do not interest my niece. My brother might join me for wandering through old forts or castles - My brother in law would much rather rent a motorcycle and ride around. You get the picture.

We make sure we all make it onto the same ship. We meet up for dinner most nights. And we call it good. Sometimes we gather and play card games, but that isn't planned ahead of time.

While Galveston has some attractive cruise pricing it is also one of the more difficult ports to get to if anyone is flying. Driving would be no problem.

Flying in means using an airport in Houston and then a transfer (80 miles or so) to the port. Definitely an added expense when looking at cruise pricing.

A bit of advice: Do NOT try to do everything together ALL the time! Everyone is on the same ship -- close enough. Everyone has different interests/activities. Besides, you don't want to/can't move around the ship as a large group.

Dinner -- yes, if you do traditional (fixed time) dining. Anytime dining for a large group may be very difficult. You may need multiple tables near each other; everyone can switch who sits w/whom nightly.

Excursions -- maybe, but again, different interests & activity/ability levels. At dinner you get to talk about "what I did today".

Have fun!

Good advice but I'd like to have my ducks more in a row before we get there. Right now it's more like squirrel at a rave. ;)

Never heard that one before - cute:D

I think the islands have younger drinking ages, but it still might be 19 not 18. I'd recommend mocktails for the minors, but NCL is the one I was thinking of for alcohol - from their site:

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Edited by pacruise804
add'l info

When my family do group cruises' date=' we don't even try to coordinate excursions. The things that interest my father do not interest my niece. My brother might join me for wandering through old forts or castles - My brother in law would much rather rent a motorcycle and ride around. You get the picture.

We make sure we all make it onto the same ship. We meet up for dinner most nights. And we call it good. Sometimes we gather and play card games, but that isn't planned ahead of time.[/quote']

That's just about how we plan to roll!

A bit of advice: Do NOT try to do everything together ALL the time! Everyone is on the same ship -- close enough. Everyone has different interests/activities. Besides, you don't want to/can't move around the ship as a large group.

Dinner -- yes, if you do traditional (fixed time) dining. Anytime dining for a large group may be very difficult. You may need multiple tables near each other; everyone can switch who sits w/whom nightly.

Excursions -- maybe, but again, different interests & activity/ability levels. At dinner you get to talk about "what I did today".

Have fun!

Gotcha! :D

Never heard that one before - cute:D

I think the islands have younger drinking ages, but it still might be 19 not 18. I'd recommend mocktails for the minors, but NCL is the one I was thinking of for alcohol - from their site:

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Good to know! Thanks!

Definitely contact a travel agent, and let THEM handle each family's bookings and arrangements. Do NOT try to get everyone doing the same thing at the same time...you will spend more time "herding" than enjoying! Plan on dinners together, and let everyone do their own thing during the day. Likely, there will be "sub-groups" who want to do the same thing at the same time...but not everyone will want that sort of organization!

We can get the guys into shirts with collars and slacks, but not jackets and ties. ;)

Thank you for your insights, and can I join your family? ;p

Maybe we can trade for a cruise,;p I might like a lazy beach cruise and just pack a bunch of swimsuits ;) In return you get the pleasure of my mom renting tuxes for any males and packing formal dresses and more formal pictures than at a family wedding!

We probably try to do more excursions together because it is seriously the only time we all see each other, unless it is a wedding or funeral, and even then it is iffy. Although everyone doesn't always go on the same ones, but usually I will go on one with my older sister and her older children, and then another one with my younger sister and her younger children and maybe we get one where *almost* everyone goes. This cruise my older sister isn't going, so a bit easier.

Maybe we can trade for a cruise,;p I might like a lazy beach cruise and just pack a bunch of swimsuits ;) In return you get the pleasure of my mom renting tuxes for any males and packing formal dresses and more formal pictures than at a family wedding!

We probably try to do more excursions together because it is seriously the only time we all see each other, unless it is a wedding or funeral, and even then it is iffy. Although everyone doesn't always go on the same ones, but usually I will go on one with my older sister and her older children, and then another one with my younger sister and her younger children and maybe we get one where *almost* everyone goes. This cruise my older sister isn't going, so a bit easier.

Sounds like a plan, except I'd have to go alone. I'd never get hubs into a tux.

Any group cruise is like herding cats. Find a good TA, throw the whole mess into their laps and when everyone complains about what you have or have not done, tell them to talk to the TA. For your own sanity, do not get involved. As far as trying to get anyone to agree on excursions, don't even get me started on that issue.

DON

Decide on the cruise ship/sailing first ,then cabin categories .

A Good TA can help you with that plus block your group space, handle questions and payments .

Payment collecting can be a big problem as everyone thinks the cruise is a great idea until it comes time to pay .

Along the lines of what others are saying, here is what I did to organize a group of 13 people for a cruise.

1. Decided on the cruise (date, cruise line itinerary) and announced what that was. Had them contact the cruise line themselves to make the booking.

2. Researched what shore excursions we would be doing and let people know they could join us if they wanted to. Gave them the contact information for the companies that was providing the excursions (we did not do ship-provided excursions).

3. We generally all had dinner together, but that was flexible. We did do anytime dining and that worked out fine.

We did start with a Travel Agent, but found that, even with seven cabins, there was not much of a break and it was easier to do things ourselves.

I think the key message, as others are saying, is that you not become the travel agent/travel coordinator. As much as possible let each family make, and be responsible, for their own arrangements.

If you want cabins close together, you will need to book early.

Other than dinner, I would not plan group activities. If a few people show up for breakfast or lunch at the same time, they can eat together, but don't say everyone must be up at 8am for breakfast.

These kids will be all on with their parents, right?

As far as the drinking bit goes, if underage kids are caught drinking, the whole family can be tossed from the ship, and left to their own devices to get home. This also includes adults (parents) buying alcohol for their kids. Cruise lines have been getting pretty strict with underage drinking because of problems with drunk kids.

I have to agree that Galveston isn’t the easiest port to get to. Perhaps New Orleans, Tampa or Port Canaveral.