Celebrity has gone sooo down hill

cccruisin

I was on the preceding cruise. Other than the production shows, which I think are dreadful, I found the entertainment to my liking. Especially the guest entertainers, and the live music around the ship.

There were four tenders in use. Two seemed to be for those who had booked Celebrity excursions, two were open to all, in order of request. I didn't tender into Lerwick until noon and had plenty of time to explore that charming town.

But each cruiser's expectations and experiences are different. The OP seems very angry. If I was that angry, I wouldn't sail again with Celebrity, and I hope the OP finds a line more suited to expectations.

As for me, I have another Celebrity cruise booked for August.

I think the opening poster just had a bad day and needed to vent. The best thing to come from this thread is the link to the wonderful clear live webcam in Lerwick. I have saved the link in my favourites and am going to watch Eclipse leave port later. :)

I read the OP and thought to myself... here come the cheerleaders to flame you and I sure wasn't disappointed!

It seems to me that using 2, 80 person tenders to move 3K PAX to then from the dock is a valid complaint.

I read the OP and thought to myself... here come the cheerleaders to flame you and I sure wasn't disappointed!

It seems to me that using 2, 80 person tenders to move 3K PAX to then from the dock is a valid complaint.

A valid complaint, if that was so.

But I am just looking at the live webcam (link in post number 23 in this thread) and currently there are 2 of Celebrity's own tenders in the harbour and one on its way back to the ship. There are three empty slots for lifeboats visible on the port side of the ship. They carry way more than 80 passengers. So clearly the opening post was incorrect, or there was a problem that has now been rectified.

Click on the link to my earlier comment and see if you think that's valid.

I don't think anyone is flaming the OP, rather just agreeing that OP seems to be having a bad day and maybe needs to find a cruise line that fits his needs better. I have had really good luck with Celebrity, but I don't take some of the stuff real seriously since I consider myself very lucky to be on a cruise and being pampered instead of having to deal with work issues, etc. Perspective, right?

You should note that many of those so called “cheerleaders” criticized Celebrity for other reasons. Also, don’t think it’s so much the complaint but how it was done. Finally, after reading the comments I was waiting for the predictable “cheerleader” comment. Didn’t have to wait long.

It is a valid complaint, but X is not responsible for that port situation and cannot control it to any great degree but try to alleviate as much as they can any issues which arise.

I do not think anyone has flamed, yet, but pointed out reasons not to be upset with X, per se.

Some things X can control and others they cannot.

I did note that the OP spent a great deal of time planning out this sailing and excursions, as well. As such when something goes awry it will be very disappointing when not clock work or as expected.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Avoid celebrity. Not what it once was.

Besides many issues like entertainment one worse than the other.

Tender in Shetland islands 2 hours to get off ship. Get very little time in port because not enough tenders.

Using 2 80 passenger tenders to get almost 3000 off the ship.

Stupid dump awful.

Have tenderd many ports pri

Princess, Cunard and others never such a stupid ridiculous experience.

Any line is better than Celebrity!!!!!.

On March 18 I had my first cruise with Celebrity in the Eclipse, I was totally satisfied there were shows that I did not like and others in which I applauded more.

I was comfortable on the ship, with service, food, etc. It is really a cruise not an amusement park on board. Regarding the tenders, I could not comment because all my ports were docked, but I read that you have to be patient if you go to port on your own, one way to speed it up is to buy boat trips.

I am so happy with my experience in the Eclipse, that I have 5 reserved cruises with Celebrity, and one of them is Hawaii where in several ports the ship will be anchored.

P.S. It seems that your comments are not liked by the community.

I agree with Don/dkjretired, this isn’t cheerleaders flaming the OP to just protect ‘their’ Line. A current thread on an Iceland cruise mentioned this port and just said it was a tendered port and didn’t complain.

The issue is the title and the complaint. I think there would have been much more empathy if the OP hadn’t trashed a whole Line over this issue.

An earlier thread had heard the tendering in this port was tricky and asked about signing up for a short tour and then not going on it once ashore.

we had gone on a short walking tour of this port - loved it and then explored the town.

So sorry the OP had a bad experience; sorry he let this single issue ruin his experience. And yes, the OP may well come back and list out all the other things they hated about the cruise.....human nature.

No, pointing out the OP is blowing up a whole cruise and Line isn’t cheerleading, its being an experienced cruiser.

Den

I agree with Don/dkjretired, this isn’t cheerleaders flaming the OP to just protect ‘their’ Line. A current thread on an Iceland cruise mentioned this port and just said it was a tendered port and didn’t complain.

The issue is the title and the complaint. I think there would have been much more empathy if the OP hadn’t trashed a whole Line over this issue.

An earlier thread had heard the tendering in this port was tricky and asked about signing up for a short tour and then not going on it once ashore.

we had gone on a short walking tour of this port - loved it and then explored the town.

So sorry the OP had a bad experience; sorry he let this single issue ruin his experience. And yes, the OP may well come back and list out all the other things they hated about the cruise.....human nature.

No, pointing out the OP is blowing up a whole cruise and Line isn’t cheerleading, its being an experienced cruiser.

Den

Hi, I'm the poster who has booked an early shore excursion just for the tender. I have to say, I feel bad for the OP as obviously they didn't realize that sometimes this happens with tender ports on all/any lines that you sail. It's unfortunate to let one bad experience color your entire view of a cruise line, but that's the attitude that some people have. I can remember a few years back tendering into Mykonos took 4 hours for the last people to go ashore, it was a combo of rough winds & rules about using local boats only.

The great thing about cruise critic is that with a little research you can be forewarned & plan ahead for situations like this & avoid a big disappointment.

Maybe its time you both (you and Celebrity) started seeing new people.

Where's that pesky Like button!(y)(y)

Some people can adjust to a difficult situation with humor and others get angry. Different strokes. I've never had a vacation, be it land or cruising, go without a single hitch. It's all what you make it. OP is entitled to his/her feelings, but IMHO it's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Edited by Luvcrusn

I’ve sailed numerous times on celebrity and many other lines. Will not make a long list but celebrity is for sure not what it once was.

More importantly, I'm not what I once was.

Hmmm.. Celebrity (and Princess) MDR food is much better than Cunard's for regular accommodations.

Each line has pros and cons.

And "any lines"... there are much weaker lines than these premium ones.

......Will not make a long list but celebrity is for sure not what it once was.

And not only am I not what I once was, the list Would be long....

Den

Hey, at least you made it to Lerwick. Many times that port is cancelled due to rough seas.

And FWIW, there were no tender issues for us when we were there in August 2016 aboard the Silhouette. I do recollect that the tenders were port-supplied. Loved being greeted by all the "Vikings" especially the young ones who really were in the spirit of being scary invaders. Our day there was lovely, so sorry yours wasn't.

Lerwick is Scotland, no Vikings around there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HAH!!!!!!! Neither am I ...wish we had met on the TA! I seem to remember you stating on the roll call that you were in a suite this time (though I'm not positive) If so were you in Michael's the day Jayne Curry performed there? It was great fun!:D

I’ve sailed numerous times on celebrity and many other lines. Will not make a long list but celebrity is for sure not what it once was.

Is anything like it once was? Orator hit the nail on the head. As seniors, DH and I always curb the temptation to say, "When I was a boy...."

I really don't see anyone on here being a cheerleader. People are just reporting their opinions of Celebrity like the OP did. It's Cruise Critic, after all.

HAH!!!!!!! Neither am I ...wish we had met on the TA! I seem to remember you stating on the roll call that you were in a suite this time (though I'm not positive) If so were you in Michael's the day Jayne Curry performed there? It was great fun!:D

Not in a Suite, but I'm a Zenith member. Didn't see Jayne in Michael's Club as I was with friends who were not in a Suite, nor Zeniths. I wish the name tags had our screen names so that I could identify people like you who I'd really like to meet. When in MC I was sitting in a big circle with others.

Lerwick is Scotland, no Vikings around there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not only do they celebrate their Norse history, they seem to have more connections with the Scandinavian countries than Scotland.

We were there just before the vote on whether Scotland would leave the UK.....the locals had a large group that were planning that if that occurred, they would leave Scotland and look to the Scandinavian countries for better connections. They kept that a bit quiet, but they don’t seem to see Scotland as their primary history.

Just an observation from an outsider who was there for 8hrs. And read a bit about the area. But that never stops me from pontificating.

And by the way, the ‘Vikings’ were all over the place: founded Dublin and most of the coast areas of what is now the UK, Iceland, good deal of France, and a short stay in N America. Heck, if you could get a Viking boat up a river, they were in that area.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Is anything like it once was? Orator hit the nail on the head. As seniors, DH and I always curb the temptation to say, "When I was a boy...."

I really don't see anyone on here being a cheerleader. People are just reporting their opinions of Celebrity like the OP did. It's Cruise Critic, after all.

Agreed. When I first started commenting on some of the threads I thought dissenting opinions were allowed (we can all agree to disagree at times, right?). But, I learned that word smithing is VERY important and we have to be very careful not to tromp on any sensitivities at ANY time, which I avoid now at all costs. :halo: