Stickers on Stateroom Door

emory2001

I bought a few Alaska themed vinyl magnets (like magnetic bumper stickers) for our stateroom door on our upcoming Alaska cruise, so the kids will have an easier time finding our room. One of them I didn't read the description carefully and it's a sticker, not a magnet. Has anyone used stickers before and do they come off without leaving residue or damaging the door?

No "glue-based" stickers. Show the cabin number to your kids...they have young minds...they can remember a number, I'm certain! Even at MY advanced age, I can remember my room number!

I don't think the intent was to provide a numeric reminder to the children but rather a visual reference to be able to find the room more easily while walking down a hallway of similar doors.

While perhaps not grasping that concept, I'm glad you still are able to remember your stateroom number.....:rolleyes:

I have, from several years ago, a sign that I made with the the old CC logo on it along with JimnKaren. I used tape to hold it up. Never have had a problem.

Jim

Tape is an adhesive, just like stickers are. They (especially clear tapes) leave a residue behind, so it shouldn't be used. You may not see it, but it's there, and will attract dirt. Making more work for the attendant who has to find a safe solvent to remove it.

Not mentioned, but a very good reason to be be very careful on putting something on the cabin door is, if you cause any damage and it is reported by staff, the cost of refinishing the door will be added to your bill. What a surprise that will be.

bob

Not mentioned, but a very good reason to be be very careful on putting something on the cabin door is, if you cause any damage and it is reported by staff, the cost of refinishing the door will be added to your bill. What a surprise that will be.

bob

As it should be.

I would agree that magnets are the way to go. But, the poster who cautioned against putting anything of value (sentimental or otherwise) on your cabin door is right, too. Many years ago, we booked a 'Members' Cruise' on RC's Jewel of the Seas. Upon embarkation, the Crown and Anchor Society gave us very nice commemorative door magnets. Ours had been stolen from our door, by the time we returned from the life-boat drill! :mad: Fortunately, the Loyalty Ambassador had extra's -- and gave us one. Needless to say, it stayed on the INSIDE of our cabin door, for the rest of the cruise!

We use stickers on our cabin doors. I ask permission from the cabin steward before using it, and tell him/her that I am visually impaired.

We used to bring magnets for the cabin door but it would disappear. :rolleyes:

I have been bringing my children on cruises since they were three years old and I've never had to put anything on the door so they could find the room.

Same with us. We never defaced our door so our kids could find it. Small children shouldn't be wandering around looking for their staterooms without their parents, so I don't understand the need to cover the door with stickers or magnets so they will be able to recognize it. That is the parent's responsibility.

WOW. A lot of mental leaps were taken here. When I said "so the kids have an easier time finding the room," I meant it very casually. I didn't mean my 9 and 10 year old can't remember a room number. Don't read too much into it. They've cruised many times before but this might be the first time we give them a little more independence walking around the ship, and they will enjoy the decorations, which will have MAGNETS. The whole point of my post was because I don't intend to "deface" the door.

Same with us. We never defaced our door so our kids could find it. Small children shouldn't be wandering around looking for their staterooms without their parents, so I don't understand the need to cover the door with stickers or magnets so they will be able to recognize it. That is the parent's responsibility.

I don't agree. When we cruised with the kids, we always put all kinds of stuff on our door. That way our young kids could lead us our stateroom when we were too drunk to find it on our own. We did the same thing at hotels. We still bolt all kinds of bright colored objects to our car so it is easier to find as we stagger through the parking lot after a long evening playing drinking games with our friends. Same with our house. If the front yard wasn't full of dozens of pink flamingos, jockey and gnome statues, piles of rubble, toilet bowl planters, and cars on cinder blocks, we'd never find it.

Thank heaven for clearly marking our territory. We couldn't survive without it.

I don't agree. When we cruised with the kids, we always put all kinds of stuff on our door. That way our young kids could lead us our stateroom when we were too drunk to find it on our own. We did the same thing at hotels. We still bolt all kinds of bright colored objects to our car so it is easier to find as we stagger through the parking lot after a long evening playing drinking games with our friends. Same with our house. If the front yard wasn't full of dozens of pink flamingos, jockey and gnome statues, piles of rubble, toilet bowl planters, and cars on cinder blocks, we'd never find it.

Thank heaven for clearly marking our territory. We couldn't survive without it.

I think with a strong enough magnet and a little bit of sewing one could embed a magnet within a pink flamingo and hang that on one’s cabin door. The toilet-bowl fish ponds and planters probably need to stay home.

WOW. A lot of mental leaps were taken here. When I said "so the kids have an easier time finding the room," I meant it very casually. I didn't mean my 9 and 10 year old can't remember a room number. Don't read too much into it. They've cruised many times before but this might be the first time we give them a little more independence walking around the ship, and they will enjoy the decorations, which will have MAGNETS. The whole point of my post was because I don't intend to "deface" the door.

Ship owners hire highly paid interior designers to create an ambiance the cruise line company is trying to portray to it's customers. That includes color schemes, carpeting patterns, and even door materials and designs. When someone attaches kitschy things to the exterior of their doors to satisfy themselves, they indeed "deface" the door by modifying the decorative elements the owners paid good money to have designed. Such door decorations are rarely in good taste in general, but specifically chosen for the occupant's self indulgence. When I purchase a cruise, I want to enjoy the ambiance the cruise line is presenting in their brochures, not to see your tacky decorations that are there only for your personal benefit.

Do you people also decorate doors in hotels? :confused:

Edited by PTMary

I get where you’re coming from, OP. Door decorations are fun for the little ones. Stick your stickers on some not-too-strong magnets, cut them out and bring them. I assume they’re not $100 stickers, so if they walk off, it won’t break the bank.

I thought I was old and bitter, but there are a bunch of negative Nellies in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ship owners hire highly paid interior designers to create an ambiance the cruise line company is trying to portray to it's customers. That includes color schemes, carpeting patterns, and even door materials and designs. When someone attaches kitschy things to the exterior of their doors to satisfy themselves, they indeed "deface" the door by modifying the decorative elements the owners paid good money to have designed. Such door decorations are rarely in good taste in general, but specifically chosen for the occupant's self indulgence. When I purchase a cruise, I want to enjoy the ambiance the cruise line is presenting in their brochures, not to see your tacky decorations that are there only for your personal benefit.

Do you people also decorate doors in hotels? :confused:

Wow, don't know what ships or cruise lines you use, but many of the mass market mega ships have balloons and birthday/anniversary posters plastered on up to about 1/2 of the doors. Don't see how a couple of magnets on a door can impact the ambiance, considering what the cruise line does with posters & balloons.

BTW - we have a small flag, which we zap strap onto the mailbox. We have received numerous compliments from many of our neighbours, as it helps them identify the general area of their cabin. Many have mention they exit the lift and check for the side that has the flag, so they know they are on the correct side of the ship.

For the bulkheads inside, we use small magnets or 3M Command strips, which are really secure, but are easily removed and leave no residue. You could also use command strips to secure something to your door.

Personally I see no need to adorn a hotel room, as we are only there for 1 or 2 days, but our next cruise is 119 nights, so yes we do personalise our home away from home.