Please Keep Your Dishes Inside

Why can't there be a common area such as a trolley where trays can be placed and staff can remove the trolley every hour? I wish there was more areas where we could put our trays and old food items in the common areas on the ship. Keep things nice and clean. I know it's the staffs job but I still like to do the right thing whilst on holiday. They work very hard.

Nice idea but some people would not use the trolley

Why can't there be a common area such as a trolley where trays can be placed and staff can remove the trolley every hour? I wish there was more areas where we could put our trays and old food items in the common areas on the ship. Keep things nice and clean. I know it's the staffs job but I still like to do the right thing whilst on holiday. They work very hard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice idea but some people would not use the trolley

What common area would this be? Any additional space provided would come at expense of cabins.

we have been told to just ring RS again and they will send someone to fetch the plates

We have also been told the same thing, which we do & they do send someone. We have also left the tray in the room with a note telling the room steward we are done with the tray (sometimes there is some food left & they won't know if we are done thus the note)..when we return to the room the tray is gone and never in the hallway.

If a tray with food remnants is "gross" if it's in the hallway, isn't it "gross" sitting in the room? What is so special that changes when the tray goes over the threshold?

Again, if someone can't walk (or roll) by an empty tray in the hallway, I'd hate to think what they do when a cleaning cart is in the hallway.

That's what you're supposed to do.

I worked in culinary at a London, UK hotel. Our runners always advised guests to put it in the hallway when done.

I've never seen people accidentally kick plates unless they're very drunk or being obnoxious.

THIS!

The "standard" in the hotel industry is for the hotel room guests to place their "processed" dishes in the hall so that service personnel can pick them up. I have NEVER seen anyone casually "knock over" plates outside a room. At worst case, used dishes could always be simply left outside a door near a corner (e.g. protected).

Not at all. Simply count. More members in this thread & many others like it, would not leave them in the hall. Is a shame there isn't a poll attached. Anyway, the real bottom line might be that the issue is one that cruisers have debated for years, and no doubt will continue to do so.:)

You are making the erroneous assumption that comments here (and even the results of a desired poll) would be considered a representative and valid reflection of cruise travelers in general. This is a mistake.

Actually, I'd wager that most people don't give a crap.

Yea that's me, I've never been bothered by dishes in a hallway on a cruise. IMO it's on Royal to clean them up in a timely manner, and if they don't want people putting dishes in the hall it needs to be communicated to passengers. But I've never thought it was an issue since (as others have stated) it's standard protocol in most hotels.

Random mostly unrelated comment, but it’s a “fun” story. My DH got horrible norovirus our first full day at an all inclusive in Jamaica. It was so bad, that by midnight a doctor came and gave him 3 bags of saline. We were quarantined, and told we could not leave the room. They didn’t normally do room service, but brought us food. However, they brought all food in the morning, and our dirty dishes would sit stinking in our room till the next day. They basically had told us we couldn’t even open our door. I can’t remembered what they threatened us with (we were young and easily threatened). Anyways, when he finally felt better-ish 3 days later, I convinced them to pay for us to go home early, first class :). Overall, it made us jaded against all inclusives and Jamaica. And, I now hate dirty dishes in my room [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. Just call and they will come pick up the plates.

So when you call for them to come pick them up, do you stay in the room until they arrive to pick them up? Do you call and place them outside the room? Do you leave them in the room, and leave the room vacated?

So when you call for them to come pick them up, do you stay in the room until they arrive to pick them up? Do you call and place them outside the room? Do you leave them in the room, and leave the room vacated?

You can leave the items in the room and they will enter the room and remove the items. You can leave or stay.

Having a great day, thank you very much.

I still don't understand your problem.

Personally I'm in the leave it in the room camp.

The wife, however, is in the leave it in the hall camp.

I forget where you stand. You're not the OP, correct.

But then again, it really doesn't matter.

Life goes on

Not trying to accomplish anything at all. However it is so overly obvious what you and a few others are trying to accomplish in this post. Aren't you and the other few members the slightest embarrassed what you do in certain posts?? It gives the website a black eye. It also makes members not want to start threads of their own because of the PREDICTABLE snarky comments. So I ask you and the others, Why? What are you trying to accomplish? Keyboard warriors in training? Or just frustrated with life?

:confused: ;p

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk