Please Keep Your Dishes Inside

If you call RS to come get the trays, you would need to wait around for them to pick them up, right? They can't get into the room without you or the steward.

I was thinking the same thing reading the suggestions to call room service. Who is going to wait around for room service to pick up a tray? I’m pretty sure it would not be within 10-15 minutes.

This is clearly a RC issue. There should be someone assigned to picking up trays and dirty dishes in the hallway. I’ve seen dirty dishes all around the ship so clearly it’s not high on the priority list. Perhaps some of the money generated by charging for room service can go towards hiring extra crew.

Getting on an elevator and seeing discarded dishes and glasses in the corner is definitely gross.

Its entertaining to walk down the hall and marvel about what folks ordered. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And how much of it they didn't eat!:D

We didn't notice this as much on Freedom, but on Majesty, the people two cabins from us ordered 6 plus trays a day. They were in a large oceanview, maximum capacity 2 people.

We never saw the people outside the room, just the trays.

I have asked many cabin stewards what to do with the dirty dishes and was always told they would take care of it when they cleaned the cabin.

Depends on the time of day. If you leave dishes shortly after the room was cleaned they will sit for hours. The stewards aren't working 24/7.

Recently on Ovation we would order room service breakfast, we did ask the attendant and he said to leave them in the room, but, each day we would return to the cabin and the tray would have been placed outside where it remained until early evening.

On the other hand, when we would go to the WJ to get some fruit the crew would then advise that nothing could be taken out of the WJ and all food had to be consumed there.

Recently on Ovation we would order room service breakfast, we did ask the attendant and he said to leave them in the room, but, each day we would return to the cabin and the tray would have been placed outside where it remained until early evening.

On the other hand, when we would go to the WJ to get some fruit the crew would then advise that nothing could be taken out of the WJ and all food had to be consumed there.

I hope that's not true because one of the things I try to do once a cruise is get breakfast from the buffet so DW can enjoy breakfast in bed. Of course when I do that I always take the dishes back to the buffet.

I apologize for starting this thread

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

OP, you’ve been here since 2005 which is long enough to have seen this type of thread many times. Why start another one? I can see a new person here starting one, but not someone who has been here 13 years.

And there are always going to be those people who leave their trays in the hallway, and those who don’t. Always the same arguments for and against. For us, we have always been told to put them in the hallway, so we do just that.

It's interesting how things change over time.

DH used to be a cabin steward on the old Sitmar line a significant number of moons ago. In those days the stewards were responsible not only for cleaning the cabins but also for providing room service, i.e. they took the orders, prepared them, delivered them and collected the dirties afterwards.

Passengers were never told to put the dirties outside the door and were gently admonished if they did. They were expected to leave them in the room for the steward to remove later or to call if they wanted them removed as soon as they were finished.

We just returned from a wonderful family cruise on Adventure of the Seas. Maybe I am getting old (aren't we all) but I really noticed something on this cruise that caused me some minor irritation. It seemed that there were a lot of people ordering room service and then putting the dirty, sometimes only half eaten orders, on the floor outside their rooms. I would see these remain there for most of the day, or night. Other people, perhaps not noticing them, would "kick" them and food would be on the carpets.

It would seem that if people simply left the dishes on the table/desk in their state rooms, their cabin attendant would remove them when he came in to clean the room. RCCL appears to have cut back on staffing, so placing items in the hall just makes more work for the remaining staff, and damages the "ambiance" of being on the ship.

Please just keep the dishes in the room and they will be removed, perhaps even quicker than leaving them in the hall.

Maybe RCI should just clean their hallways more often?:confused:

I totally understand people do not want their old food in the room - RCI is the problem here!:rolleyes:

I hate the trays in the halls. It looks disgusting and it makes it so difficult for anyone in a wheelchair or scooter to get through. Probably past Carnival cruisers as that is what they actually tell you to do with the trays.

I like the Four Seasons method. After a reasonable time they call you to see if you are finished with your meal and then send someone right away to the room to retrieve it.

Your all wrong. Your supposed to throw them overboard. If you have an balcony... even easier. (Ocean view of course)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have a virtual balcony you just have to imagine that they are virtually not there.

What I don’t understand is why dishes are still on the floor after the stewards have made up the rooms. Why can’t they remove them to a utility room until room and have room service gather them from there. It’s kind of like they have the attitude of “it’s not my job”

I've had this issue in the past, on various cruise lines. I nicely leave them in my room an they sit for days. The moment I put them in the hall, they are gone within hours. I also hate seeing them in the hall, but I understand why people do it.

Anytime we order room service, we ask if we should leave the dishes in the cabin, and without fail every time we are told "No, put the tray outside your door." So that is what we will do, until they tell us something different.

I hate the trays in the halls. It looks disgusting and it makes it so difficult for anyone in a wheelchair or scooter to get through. Probably past Carnival cruisers as that is what they actually tell you to do with the trays.

I like the Four Seasons method. After a reasonable time they call you to see if you are finished with your meal and then send someone right away to the room to retrieve it.

Are you speaking from experience or just assuming wheelchair have difficulty getting pass trays?

I hope that's not true because one of the things I try to do once a cruise is get breakfast from the buffet so DW can enjoy breakfast in bed. Of course when I do that I always take the dishes back to the buffet.

We found it strange as we've not noticed it on any other ships, we thought it may be because we were on an asian immersive cruise. they only enforced this in the WJ and the Solarium Bistro, you could easily get food at Cafe 270 and take it elsewhere on the ship to eat, in the Solarium Bistro they also did not allow anyone to take hot drinks in a cup outside, it had to be in a plastic glass as they did not have the cardboard coffee mugs either.

First of all, Room Service tells you to put the plates outside.

Second of all, this is Royal's problem, not ours. They send out people with carts to collect plates on a schedule. If you are noticing this enough for it to be a problem, Royal is failing to maintain their hotel adequately and timely.

I guess we should actually enjoy having that half eaten leftover food all over the hallway. Brings in lots of entertainment when we watch the rats come up from the bilge to have a late night snack. :eek::o;)

It's still garbage in the hallway...no matter how you dress it up.

We don't leave half eaten food unless you count a banana peel or empty cereal box, no partially eaten, exposed food. Anyways, Royal's hotel, their directions, their duty to maintain it. If you call RS after you finish they say put it outside.

Maybe RCI should just clean their hallways more often?:confused:

I totally understand people do not want their old food in the room - RCI is the problem here!:rolleyes:

First of all, Room Service tells you to put the plates outside.

Second of all, this is Royal's problem, not ours. They send out people with carts to collect plates on a schedule. If you are noticing this enough for it to be a problem, Royal is failing to maintain their hotel adequately and timely.

I think this is the problem exactly. I remember on several occasions having seen trays outside doors when we were on our way "out" for the evening at 7.30-ish and that were still there when we returned several hours later.

So what’s the big deal? Just enjoy your vacation instead of nit-picking at every little thing.

Some of these people won't be happy until they have a nametag and a cart. Royal could sell virtual reality experiences for a modest fee. He's a cart and a couple bus trays, that's only $49 + 18% gratuity, but you get the behind the scenes housekeeping tour FREE

Cabin staff are not responsible for the dishes. The instructions are to put them outside your doorway. I know and agree, it is a lousy policy. There is "supposed" to be a team that prowl the hallways and pick them up. I think they are the same folks that never let anyone save deck chairs by the pool.

Absolutely right. Can't tell you how many times I've asked what to do with them...never once has the steward said to call room service again. The instructions are to put them on the floor outside. I agree, I really detest this, but I follow instructions. The result for us has been to no longer use room service, in fact, I we haven't used it at all in 10 or so cruises. But...I absolutely hate my cabin to be untidy. I'm OCD and can't stand anything out of place. I have actually hauled the tray up to Windjammer before.

Our room stewards love us....nothing to do but make the bed.