Carnival Corp Stock Purchase?

Mud_Shark

Can you purchase stock direct from Carnival Corp over the phone? Or do you need to go through an online discount broker? I have never purchased stock but am considering the basic 100 shares as a partial investment and as a travel benefit when we cruise, but I have no idea how this is exactly done.

Anyone willing to step me through the process? Thanks

Don

Can you purchase stock direct from Carnival Corp over the phone? Or do you need to go through an online discount broker? I have never purchased stock but am considering the basic 100 shares as a partial investment and as a travel benefit when we cruise, but I have no idea how this is exactly done.

Anyone willing to step me through the process? Thanks

Don

We got ours from a stockbroker - it has dived a lot this week so could be a good time to buy

If you already have an investment account, you can sell enough of those shares to purchase the CCL shares. That way you don't have to fork over actual cash to buy the 100 shares. I did it that way through Schwab and it was very easy and painless. And I have enjoyed all the OBC over the past few years!

No one buys stock from a company directly from that company. If someone works for a company they may get stock as part of a benefits pkg but otherwise you buy stock through a broker whether on line or a brick and mortar venue.

IF you do not have any stock investments then you may want to educate yourself to what /how to invest for your best needs and not just buy Carnival stock for the OBC!

The computershare.com link above is the official servicer for CCL stock so you should be able to buy directly through them (but they may have a higher fee). Assuming you don't already have an investment account, you can also just open up an account with any online brokerage firm, transfer some money into that account, then purchase the stock. For your purposes, you'd want to do some comparison shopping and look for one with a small transaction fee (think $7-10) since that is really all you're looking for and you don't need to worry about paying for more advanced services. CCL pays dividends, so unless you want the cash each quarter, you may want to confirm that whatever brokerage service you use has a free dividend reinvestment plan (DRIP -- where they just take you quarterly dividend and use it to buy more shares or partial shares of CCL).

I had this same question just a couple of weeks ago ... well, actually a couple of years ago but then the stock went crazy and just kept going up and up.

Now that it took a small downward turn and I have several princess cruises booked, I took the plunge.

I went onto TD Ameritrade online and opened an account. You need to fill in quite a bit of info but there is a local office just down the street and they were very willing to answer any questions I had. They were very patient and super knowledgeable for a newbie.

After filling out my info online, I then ran down to the office with a personal check to cover at least 100 shares of the stock (plus a little more to cover any possible price increases and trading costs).

Ps ... TD Ameritrade has no costs for your first transactions so didn’t cost anything extra to buy these shares.

Anyway, They applied that money to my account and when it was showing as available, I went online and purchased the stock. This was all done within 24 hours. My confirmation was also online so printed that out to mail in to princess for the OBC.

Also, any extra funds can either be taken back out or it just goes into a money market account.

Don’t be nervous ... if a newbie like me can do it, anybody can.

I am going to recommend Schwab....trading fees are the same as everyone elses, but if you enroll (free) for both their bank account as well as their brokerage account, you can get their "no foreign transaction fee" atm card that also reimburses for any non-Schwab atm usage.

This means that, if you are out of the US and want local currency, you use the card...the ATM shows a $5.00 fee...you complete the transaction and get your local currency. When you get home and look at your accout, Schwab has reimbursed you for the $5.00 ATM fee.

This reimbursement is also in effect for domestic US ATM's, too.

Fees can be super high, but if you want to invest, and have never done so before, your bank probably has an investment person there you can go thru. They will take care of all of it easily. DH started out with that, but then when he started to do a few more investments, he opened us up an Ameritrade account.

If you open an account with a place with one of these big online national brokers, you will have to do a transfer of funds, and then when that goes thru and the money is there, you can buy the CCL.

I too am thinking that CCL is a 'buy' opportunity right now.

But, one never knows!!!

I am going to recommend Schwab....trading fees are the same as everyone elses, but if you enroll (free) for both their bank account as well as their brokerage account, you can get their "no foreign transaction fee" atm card that also reimburses for any non-Schwab atm usage.

This means that, if you are out of the US and want local currency, you use the card...the ATM shows a $5.00 fee...you complete the transaction and get your local currency. When you get home and look at your accout, Schwab has reimbursed you for the $5.00 ATM fee.

This reimbursement is also in effect for domestic US ATM's, too.

I mentioned Schwab for purchasing CCL shares in my post above but totally forgot to mention the added benefit of their checking account! I have used their debit card in ATMs worldwide and have never been charged an ATM fee, even using the ship's cash machine. I have my primary checking account with another bank linked so I can transfer money into the Schwab account whenever I travel. Works like a charm!

I looked on the Princess website and I cannot find the details outlining the OBC values based on cruise length for owning the stock? Also what has been your experience with dividend ROI? Thank you. I am sure this has been asked.

The computershare.com link above is the official servicer for CCL stock so you should be able to buy directly through them (but they may have a higher fee). Assuming you don't already have an investment account, you can also just open up an account with any online brokerage firm, transfer some money into that account, then purchase the stock. For your purposes, you'd want to do some comparison shopping and look for one with a small transaction fee (think $7-10) since that is really all you're looking for and you don't need to worry about paying for more advanced services. CCL pays dividends, so unless you want the cash each quarter, you may want to confirm that whatever brokerage service you use has a free dividend reinvestment plan (DRIP -- where they just take you quarterly dividend and use it to buy more shares or partial shares of CCL).

If it's publicly traded you can go through virtually any brokerage. Having multiple brokers isn't a great idea.

I looked on the Princess website and I cannot find the details outlining the OBC values based on cruise length for owning the stock? Also what has been your experience with dividend ROI? Thank you. I am sure this has been asked.

This is because the benefit comes from Carnival Corp, not from Princess. All the details are on the Carnival Corp website.

Not sure, but the military benefit may be on the Princess website.

I bought ours years ago online. Just went and put CCL stock I bought it through ING and now changed to Capital One investing and I think the name is changing again.

But it only cost like five dollars to buy the stock. Easy peasy..not a lot of information to put in and we have reaped the benefits for several years.

Definitely a good deal if you cruise Carnival products like Princess, Carnival, Cunard, Holland America.. works on all of them We have way over exceeded our purchase price in OBC :cool:

Thank you - appreciate your response and makes sense.

After a quick perusal it must be buried in their website somewhere! I will give them a call this week.

Investor relations>Shareholder Benefit>Click here to view....

Thanks all for the replies.

I am completely green/rookie/noob as far as investing or the stock market goes. We just have bank controlled mutual funds.

Sounds like TD Ameritrade or something similar is the way to go - however, we are Canadian and I don't want to have to convert money (and lose on the exchange), if I can purchase directly from Canada. Do all these big investment firms that are online have way to invest straight from Canadian Dollars?

Don

It appears like you can buy it online via this website----

https://www-us.computershare.com/Investor/#DirectStock/Index

Computershare is Carnival’s Transfer Agent and my employer :p Investor center allows you to view your holdings, I don’t believe you can buy stock through them. At least in Canada you can’t.

Sounds like TD Ameritrade or something similar is the way to go - however, we are Canadian and I don't want to have to convert money (and lose on the exchange), if I can purchase directly from Canada. Do all these big investment firms that are online have way to invest straight from Canadian Dollars?

Don

This might be helpful... https://www.moneysense.ca/canadas-best-online-brokerages-2018-comparison-tool/

Thank you - appreciate your response and makes sense.

After a quick perusal it must be buried in their website somewhere! I will give them a call this week.

This is a copy of a pdf with the details:

http://www.*************.com/forms/PCLShareholderBenefit.pdf

Ooops.

Visit this page:

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

...and click the link there "Click here to view our Shareholder Benefit."