Charging for internet usage..what's your opinion ?

Boatdrill

I understand both your comments Ellianne. For some, their phone plan for a daily amount while on land is a good option and the only thing they need for quick and easy connectivity. I also pay for daily cell phone access while on land in foreign countries in order to also connectivity while enjoying daytime land visits & tours - For everything I pay on my daily international phone plan - on Verizon $10 p/24 hours - I also save an equal amount of money by not having to buy something at a land based restaurant while trying to access local wifi! And you're right, the daily rate is not necessarily a great bargain for an occasional user of the internet.

The most frustrating thing I previously experienced with the old HAL plan was the slow and archaic connectivity. In trying to connect to any privacy protected sites (i.e. financial institutions, work, etc), the connection wheel and time would spin and spin and spin which equaled dollars and dollars of per minute time! I choose to pay for the whole length of the cruise as I would rather pay a flat fee and not stress at all and know I have whole cruise connectivity!

Having recently sailed on lines where basic internet usage was included (I won't say free, because you are paying for it in the base cruise fare, one way or another), I would prefer that HAL do the same. However, in the absence of "included" internet, I think they are headed in the right direction by instituting their three tier plan. I do wish, though, that they'd offer an "included" stripped-down version with no cost, perhaps with just one connected device at a time per cabin. If customers feel like they need additional speed (and I know many do), then HAL can sell them those packages and still make money.

The connectivity was horrendous the one time we had a shipboard internet package. It was a "free" perk so we didn't have to pay for it but had we actually paid for it I definitely would have asked for a refund as it was almost totally worthless.

Thats often the problem with a free plan - so many people use it that the system cannot handle the traffic.

A recent discussion with a fellow cruiser revealed that some people think it's a scam to be charged.

My take is that we pay for the internet at home. We also pay for phone service

at home and onboard. I've never heard a complaint about having to pay for cell phone usage while cruising.

Internet usage onboard is an option, and the cost is provided upfront, so how is it a scam to charge for it ?

A SCAM? No, way.

So , they charge for internet use. I'm okay with that.

Charging is not a scam. If you don't want to pay, don't use it.

I

It has been confirmed to me today by Mariners society that all HAL ships are turning to the new packages of unlimited internet effective end of July. All 'per minute' packages' will be gone by August 1. Only option are now per day or per voyage, but unlimited use.

Poo, don't like that at all. But realize I'll probably be in the minority.

We do not care that much. Or cruises tend to be 14 days, with many ports. We are happier to log in from a bar for half hour. In the past we have found cruise ship internet slow. We can easily live without it for a day or two.

well for me I am very happy that they are going to the packages, they have that on Carnival and it worked great for us. We are doing 2 weeks in August and to have access to family is important for us.

Thats often the problem with a free plan - so many people use it that the system cannot handle the traffic.

We've found that the cruise lines with included internet are neither better nor worse from a connectivity perspective as those cruise lines that still charge for everything. We've had included internet on Viking Ocean and Regent. Will be trying it on Oceania in a few months.

I find it unfortunate (at best) that to clear my e-mail---accessing one site only---I have to sign up for the second most expensive plan. There is something unfair about spending $100/week just to do that, especially when the cheaper plan allows passengers to access more sites.

But over a 4-week period, I have to clear the junk mail, or be totally overwhelmed with junk when I come home.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just got back from the Northern Isles cruise on the Zuiderdam. There was a choice of three different internet packages. We chose the middle one, and got unlimited internet for the entire 14 days for $170. It's a good thing it was unlimited because it's so slow! I think it should be included in all cruise fares. We only use it while on the boat - don't want to waste time in a cafe in a port when we are there to see the sights.

Many many hotels now charge a "resort fee" of $20-$50 per day....this "covers" your use of swimming pool, gym, and gives you "free" wifi. Ironically the higher the room rate the more likely you will be hit by a resort fee....everyone must pay it whether you use the wifi, pool, gym, etc or not.

I understand this is the number one complaint of upper end hotel guests...but as soon as a few hotels found out they could get away with this ridiculous practice they all follow suit taking in millions upon millions of bucks with a new "revenue stream"....ironically the cheaper hotels give u free internet, gym, and pool use.

Let's hope the cruise lines don't come up with their version of "resort fees"...but i fear they will. Very simply unless and until consumers say NO by taking their business elsewhere expect to see more and more fees for what we once thought were basic simple inclusions...like being able to swim in a hotel swimming pool.

Many many hotels now charge a "resort fee" of $20-$50 per day ...

Let's hope the cruise lines don't come up with their version of "resort fees"...but i fear they will. Very simply unless and until consumers say NO by taking their business elsewhere expect to see more and more fees for what we once thought were basic simple inclusions...like being able to swim in a hotel swimming pool.

Sounds like the autotip to me.

My husband and I just got back from the Northern Isles cruise on the Zuiderdam. There was a choice of three different internet packages. We chose the middle one, and got unlimited internet for the entire 14 days for $170. It's a good thing it was unlimited because it's so slow! I think it should be included in all cruise fares. We only use it while on the boat - don't want to waste time in a cafe in a port when we are there to see the sights.

Satellite time is very expensive. The connections are slow. But why should I subsidize your desire for being connected by paying more for my cruise?

Since the connection is way more expensive at sea via satellite than it is on land via a cable, I get why it’s expensive. Do I wish it was free? Sure. Will I spend the extra on my upcoming cruise? Nope. A day or two disconnected will be welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suspect that as the technology advances the infrastructure cost and the band width will improve exponentially. Once one of the mass markets starts providing it gratis as a sales ploy I suspect no charge internet may become a standard.

Not true. You are fighting the laws of physics. There are only so many orbital slots in the "Clark Belt" for geostationary communications satellites. And each satellite is very limited to the bandwidth of data that it can handle. Land-based hotels, bars, restaurants are connected to almost unlimited bandwidth fiber optic cable. So bandwidth is fast and cheap. Once you throw a satellite into the mix, you have a very big bottleneck for fast, cheap bandwidth. If satellites were cheap, why don't the airlines offer free internet for all passengers ? Only the people who pay 10 times the cost of a coach seat in business or first class get it free. They use satellites when flying over the oceans. Cruise ships are no different. Once they leave the dock, it's satellite only and the cost per megabyte goes up exponentially.

Not true. You are fighting the laws of physics. There are only so many orbital slots in the "Clark Belt" for geostationary communications satellites. And each satellite is very limited to the bandwidth of data that it can handle. Land-based hotels, bars, restaurants are connected to almost unlimited bandwidth fiber optic cable. So bandwidth is fast and cheap. Once you throw a satellite into the mix, you have a very big bottleneck for fast, cheap bandwidth. If satellites were cheap, why don't the airlines offer free internet for all passengers ? Only the people who pay 10 times the cost of a coach seat in business or first class get it free. They use satellites when flying over the oceans. Cruise ships are no different. Once they leave the dock, it's satellite only and the cost per megabyte goes up exponentially.

I agree

and just to add, we often do biz class on planes for long distances and even then, internet is NOT cheap. I decline on planes but do use it on board.

A recent discussion with a fellow cruiser revealed that some people think it's a scam to be charged.

My take is that we pay for the internet at home. We also pay for phone service

at home and onboard. I've never heard a complaint about having to pay for cell phone usage while cruising.

Internet usage onboard is an option, and the cost is provided upfront, so how is it a scam to charge for it ?

I never use the internet on cruises . I believe it should be free and the internet and telephone should be free at home as well.

I never use the internet on cruises . I believe it should be free and the internet and telephone should be free at home as well.

Well now I am confused.

It would be great if my phone was free, internet and even power, but that's not the way it is nor the way it will be.

Everything is at a cost whether hidden or upfront. Not much is free in life;)