Sail away Helipad invites

dx052

I would guess that the invitation checking generally only happens on the really 'special' sailaways like the one past the Statue of Liberty. I have been invited to many nice sailaways but nothing 'special' and our invitations were never checked.

I've always enjoyed the helipad sailaways.

It's worth noting that now they seem to be enforcing the closed-toe shoe rule. (In the past I saw plenty of sandals and stilettos.) I'll be ready with my orange gym shoes.:cool:

The first time we were invited to a sail away we were in Aqua Class. On embarkation day, I happened to ask the Captains Club representative how someone gets to go to the helipad for a sail away. She told me they don't do them all the time, it depends on the weather and captain, but ask for our room number. The last port visited on our December cruise was Bonaire, and the day before there was an invitation in our cabin. It is a beautiful port for a sail away. Most everyone we spoke with were from Concierge Class that time. I was told that guests were selected by recommendations of crew members and cabin categories. I guess it varies by ship, captain, ports, etc.

.......We stood on line outside of the theater for twenty minutes,then walked through the upper level of the theater into a staff only area in the bow of the ship.

We needed to climb over a rather high step- there were staff that helped passengers over this step. Then we had to walk up a flight of stairs ((possibly 20 ) to arrive at the helipad.

It was a hot,sunny day. There was no seating ,no shade and the basic view was the water facing the bow of the ship as we got underway..

That is typical. They serve drinks and you can stand around chatting with the officers if you like.

At the railing, people stand packed shoulder to shoulder looking out.

If you don't show up right at the starting time but arrive after most of the people are already out there, you don't need to stand around waiting.

(It is kind of like the difference in boarding the ship at different times on embarkation day. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685)

Many of us stopped going out to the helipad after the novelty of the first few invitations simply because other locations on the ship are so much better places to be for sail-ins or sail-outs.

You can have essentially the same view, only better, from the comfortable air conditioned lounge up above.

For sailaway, the view from the rear of the ship is usually superior.

It is certainly reasonable for them to attempt to limit the number of people who are out on the helipad at one time, but they could just provide a bucket or basket on the ship in a central location where those who receive helipad invitations they don't want can drop them off, and those who want an invitation can take one.

(No - on second thought, that is a terrible idea.

It would eliminate the snob appeal of being in a limited, specially invited group. clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678)

The helipad can really become over-crowded when they democratically open it up to everyone, at places such as Hubbard Glacier or the Panama Canal.

But you can turn on the bow camera channel on the TV in your room and see how crowded it is before heading out there.

Also one and done. Stand in a line waiting to walk thru a narrow passage, ducking under and stepping over the bulkheads.

The view isn’t that great, no seating and in the sun. Depending how crowded it is you will be lucky to get near a rail.

The best view is from the upper decks or relaxing on your balcony.

It depends where you feel is the best view. Do you like looking at street level or from the highest point. Not too many if any place charges for a view at street level but many charge extra for the view from the top.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We were Concierge on the Silhouette and got invited to do the sail away from St. Lucia on the helipad. It was fun. There were some officers there and they were serving mimosas and champagne. It was for half the Concierge cabins only. The other half had a different port to sail away from on the helipad. While there were quite a few people there, it didn't feel crowded and it made for some great pictures, and a nice opportunity to socialize.

I agree that there are better views of sail in or sail away than the helipad but its an experience that not everyone gets to enjoy. Like a lot of things when repeated time and time again one gets a little blasé. We have had a couple and will in future pick and choose what ports we want to go view from the helipad. By pick and choose I mean make a request through our CC host . Haven't been disappointed too date

Some of us enjoy sail away on the heli pad because we love feeling the sea breeze while we gaze at the forward, port and starboard vistas. The aft view is also lovely, except for the occasional diesel fumes. Regardless of my viewing location, bow, upper deck, aft, balcony, I don’t want glass or plexiglass distorting my view. OP, please do try a sail away on the heli pad for yourself. You may enjoy it as much as I do, or you may feel (like several on this thread) that it’s one and done. Either way, you’ll have had the experience.

Some of us enjoy sail away on the heli pad because we love feeling the sea breeze while we gaze at the forward, port and starboard vistas. The aft view is also lovely, except for the occasional diesel fumes. Regardless of my viewing location, bow, upper deck, aft, balcony, I don’t want glass or plexiglass distorting my view. OP, please do try a sail away on the heli pad for yourself. You may enjoy it as much as I do, or you may feel (like several on this thread) that it’s one and done. Either way, you’ll have had the experience.

We have experienced several ‘sail in’ and ‘sail away’ events too and have always found them enjoyable. Even in hot areas there is usually a pleasant breeze and at cold events we have been given hot chocolate.

I also suggest OP that you have a word with the Captains Club host on boarding and experience for yourself....

I believe suites will be first choice for invites. Next will likely be Elite Plus .

We have been Elite Plus since the changeover in points and we have not been invited to the Helipad for sail away in years. So I don't think they go by that. Too many Elites and Elite Plus passengers on board now a days.

We get invited on almost every voyage and suspect its because we are Elite Plus. To be honest we could care less as there are many more comfortable places around the ship including our own balcony. The only time we even bothered going up to the bow (by special invitation) was on a smaller HAL vessel...and that was when she was transiting the Panama Canal.

Hank

We have been Elite Plus since the changeover in points and we have not been invited to the Helipad for sail away in years. So I don't think they go by that. Too many Elites and Elite Plus passengers on board now a days.

I’m sorry to hear this. We finally made Elite on our recent sailing, and I’d been hoping for invitations on our future cruises. Oh well....

I’m sorry to hear this. We finally made Elite on our recent sailing, and I’d been hoping for invitations on our future cruises. Oh well....

Congratulations on becoming Elite.

Unfortunately we had more invitations prior to becoming Elite Plus than we do now. Not sure why. We have never stayed in a suite or Aqua and I think most of the invitations now go to those passengers not Elite or Elite Plus passengers staying in a balcony cabin or below.

We are Elite and were invited to the sail away from Copenhagen.

Unfortunately,we didn’t see it until we returned to our cabin after sail away, which we watched from the aft of the ship, as we had returned from a trip and not gone back to the cabin, choosing to go to get something to drink instead.

3b186581739fdcacaef0dca91a85880b.jpg

1a095cc3e5f7dee9dd66459f3599cafd.jpg

e83d278dbcec8385874935f11f8644c7.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

Congratulations on becoming Elite.

Unfortunately we had more invitations prior to becoming Elite Plus than we do now. Not sure why. We have never stayed in a suite or Aqua and I think most of the invitations now go to those passengers not Elite or Elite Plus passengers staying in a balcony cabin or below.

On our last helipad visit in Europe, many of the attendees were new cruisers.

On our last helipad visit in Europe, many of the attendees were new cruisers.
I remember it was a novelty when they started doing them again after 9/11 (these and bridge tours), but I guess they are trying to include as many people as possible now, including grabbing and impressing the new cruisers. Can’t say I’ve ever taken notice of or indeed cared what the status of the other attendees at them has been. Spread the love.

Phil

As others have suggested, you should introduce yourself to the Captain Club representative and just ask.

I occasionally enjoy the experience depending on the weather and the port and I think everyone should experience it at least once. But most of time I do not attend.

We were in Concierge going through the Suez Canal and were invited....pretty crowded up there! Must say we enjoyed the experience much better sitting on our balcony:)

If you are in the concierge class cabin,90% you will get invited because Celebrity is doing the concierge class cabin promotion from the observation of my last few cruises.

It’s always on the first sail away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember it was a novelty when they started doing them again after 9/11 (these and bridge tours), but I guess they are trying to include as many people as possible now, including grabbing and impressing the new cruisers. Can’t say I’ve ever taken notice of or indeed cared what the status of the other attendees at them has been. Spread the love.

Phil

I only know there were quite a few first time cruisers as the CD at the event announced, “A big welcome to all of our many new cruisers.” ;)

During our 2017 11 day Med cruise we were invited twice. First one, leaving Barcelona was for all Suite passengers plus all other Elites and up. Second one, leaving Gibraltar was a combination of new cruisers and Cruise Critic members. We were informed that they choose us off of our Roll Call list for the cruise and we and fellow Roll Call members were asked to identify ourselves by the cruise director. We must have spoken to 10-15 people during the event about Cruise Critic, its Forums and the Roll Calls. It was great to meet people and make them aware of all of the great information and camaraderie on this site.

I've always enjoyed the helipad sailaways.

It's worth noting that now they seem to be enforcing the closed-toe shoe rule. (In the past I saw plenty of sandals and stilettos.) I'll be ready with my orange gym shoes.:cool:

Ditto as to the open toe shoes. We were invited while on a Caribbean cruise and had no closed shoes. Went into town and found some cheap gym shoes to buy. Turned out not needed that time!