CBD oil

kmc51533

Hello! It is the first time cruising. My boyfriend uses CBD oil for vaping and he also had CBD capsules that he uses for chronic migraines and some anxiety/PTSD. I was just wondering if he was able to bring the CBD oil or pills on Carnival cruise line. I know they allow e-cigarettes/vaping in designated areas but was not sure about the CBD. Any information from those who may have had the same experience or any infomation in general is much appreciated. We are cruising to Mexico from New Orleans.. thank you!!

Not sure how Carnival specifically classes these substances, but here are some general guidelines you may want to consider. First, once in the port area, you are under federal jurisdiction, so DEA can sweep for CBD products, and they are illegal under federal jurisdiction. Second, the flag state determines what laws apply onboard the ship, and since Carnival's ships are either Panamanian or Bahamian flag, you would have to determine what those countries' laws are regarding CBD products. Finally, since both Panama and the Bahamas are signatory to all of the international shipping conventions from the IMO and ILO, drug use on the ships is strictly forbidden, so I would doubt that the cruise line would allow a passenger to bring something onboard that is illegal for the crew to possess, as there would be the possibility of this getting transferred to crew members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To get a more accurate answer, does the CBD oil contain THC?

If no, it's classified as a food additive(at least in the US) and is 100% legal.

If yes, it falls under the same laws as marijuana so Federal laws in the US kick in and the laws of whatever country you will be visiting will be in effect there.

• 2 months later...

Even if the CBD oil does not contain THC, the onus would still be on you to prove it and that could cause you to be detained.

As you stated that he takes this for "some" anxiety and PTSD (guessing its not chronic?)

, I wonder if his GP could prescribe an alternative, at least for the duration of the cruise

Edited by Herfnerd

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

I think that they would have found out by now... Started 4 Aug 2018 🙄 

Only if they got on the ship and said "Hey I have CBD with me -- can I stay on the ship"?

1 hour ago, snowskier said:

Only if they got on the ship and said "Hey I have CBD with me -- can I stay on the ship"?

So if you keep quiet and get away with it, it's OK?    But it doesn't matter as the question is moot being a year old thread that the OP never returned to....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

• 5 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, mom says said:

TSA policy has nothing to do with Border Control, which is what you have to face when returning from your cruise. 

I can't imagine beginning or ending a cruise in the US so that's probably what I was thinking of.

45 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

And TSA operates where?

I go through TSA, get on an airplane and fly to another country where I embark on my cruise which also ends in another country. Then I either continue my trip or fly back to the US.  Get it?

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

We have a current news story going right now of someone crossing the border in the to US and she had a vial in her backpack..she's been banned from the US for life. 

Just read an article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tasker-cbd-oil-us-border-lifetime-ban-1.5252479

It sounds like our typical bureaucracy.  It's going to be okay.  It was announced that it's going to be okay.  But they haven't worked it out so they're going to err on the side of being US-jerks rather than US-nice-guys.

Just now, Extra Kim said:

With other words, TSA has NOTHING to do with this.

What on earth are you talking about?  I was making the point that I don't go through US border control but rather TSA because I don't depart/return to the US via ship.

25 minutes ago, clo said:

What on earth are you talking about?  I was making the point that I don't go through US border control but rather TSA because I don't depart/return to the US via ship.

What are YOU talking about? When you fly home from your international cruise the first person you will interact with when your flight lands in the US is CBP, not TSA.

30 minutes ago, mom says said:

What are YOU talking about? When you fly home from your international cruise the first person you will interact with when your flight lands in the US is CBP, not TSA.

I just did some reading and found out that about 15 years ago border patrol was merged into immigration.  So that was the confusion on both sides.  And, yes, I fly far more than I will ever cruise and am aware that TSA is for flying within or out of the US.