Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Chicken liver pate (home-made) is cheap and delicious, especially if you add a drop or two of cognac.

I think it is a good thing we are not allowed to discuss politics on these boards, particularly at the moment.

Thanks again everyone for the funnies.

Lola

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Chicken liver pate (home-made) is cheap and delicious, especially if you add a drop or two of cognac.

I think it is a good thing we are not allowed to discuss politics on these boards, particularly at the moment.

Lola

Are you near " The White Cliffs of Dover"?

22 hours ago, lincslady said:

Some great funnies today - and perhaps the most apposite is Terry's from Lily  Tomlin; it would be great to die laughing, if that is what awaits us in the near future.  This so and so virus has at least dredged up some great new jokes.  And shows the human spirit keeps on carrying on.   Lola

Appreciate the above comments and follow-up from Lola, plus the excellent posts from Spins.  How are things now going in South Florida for Candy in drying out and getting semi-back-to-"normal"????

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

734026259_ScreenShot2020-10-07at1_22_05PM.thumb.png.a3ef14f22d4bdbeb8e938129d5ea160d.png

1751682278_ScreenShot2020-10-07at1_24_12PM.png.d5a73de2438491f1aae0cf9ab13a1c9b.png

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Lola

Hi Lola, chopped liver.......(pate)..........I LOVE IT😃

27 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Are you near " The White Cliffs of Dover"?

I suppose if this was the USA I would say yes,  but here,  no.    About halfway up on the right.  Which is preferable, as far as we personally are concerned - peaceful and not over-occupied.  Although there are quite a few lovely dogs.

Lola

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the dry wishes.

The water saga continues. 

We are working to mitigate the damages.

In progress.

A large learning curve interrupted by people trying to profit from our loss and sell us stuff.

We wade through the mire knowing this is a property loss when so many others are experiencing much greater loss.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Lola

Chicken livers mixed with port soaked bread and wrapped in streaky bacon makes a lovely pate. I'll have a hunt around for the family recipe.

• Like 1

Love the recipes for chicken livers and waiting for more info on pommes duchesse.

Spins so sorry you have to deal with this but glad that you are able to step back and get some amusement from people who are trying to take advantage of you.  I guess they didn’t know who they were dealing with!

Bob walked 8 miles today with no problems!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

quote:

"The real cure would be to be on the sea"

Never a truer statement........I think we all miss it terribly.

As for the Melatonin, it usually works for me. 

I miss our planet being COVID-free. (Almost all) the rest is fluff. We had a great lunch with a friend today and never talked about travel at all. At this point it's irrelevant. For us.

7 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thanks for all the dry wishes.

The water saga continues. 

We are working to mitigate the damages.

In progress.

A large learning curve interrupted by people trying to profit from our loss and sell us stuff.

We wade through the mire knowing this is a property loss when so many others are experiencing much greater loss.

I've followed your posts about this. We bought a house a dozen years ago. Turns out it had had a chronic, long term ground water problem. And it got into the house and we had mold. AND we found out that when there's a particular event that caused the problem, insurance would cover. In our case insurance didn't cover it. We're over $20k in damage repair. 

13 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Chicken livers mixed with port soaked bread and wrapped in streaky bacon makes a lovely pate. I'll have a hunt around for the family recipe.

As promised:

915000381_ChickenLiverpate.thumb.jpg.652b115974d8c320b5499c35201ea773.jpg

That is a 1/4 cup of port (a dash of brandy does it good as well).

Edited by SteveH2508

There is pate and there is chopped liver.  There is nothing nicer than old-fashioned Jewish chopped liver. 

It should be seen as a dish eaten within a day or so - because it quickly goes grey and looks terrible - and should be thought of not as pate but as a dish made with simple ingredients in Grandma judged unwheighed imprecise quantities.  The second time you make it it will be perfect. 

Take a pack of chicken livers and cut out the nasty central sinew.  Fry them slowly in a lot of butter until if you cut a random liver in half it is pink and cooked and feels firm rather than wobbly.  Slowly braise and caramelise sweet onions - roughly same starting volume more or less of the livers.  Grandma couldn't cheat but if you chop the onions and put them in a covered dish and microwave for a few minutes until transluscent it will save effort.  Hard boil eggs to the same quatity of the liver.    Put all the cooked liver and cooked onions and the eggs into a processor with a lot of pepper and some salt.  Pepper and salt is the only spice needed.  Once blitzed put in a cling-film lined dish and then pour melted butter on top to seal.  If you are eating it all on the same day Grandma wouldn't drizzle the butter but top it with finely chopped hard boiled egg.  Once cool cover then with the cling film and put in the fridge.

You have to remember that the origin of this was simply to use and pad out the single liver that came with a large old kosher chicken to avoid waste.  The chicken was first boiled to make chicken soup and then either served boiled with the carrot and potatos and onions boiled with the chicken and served as a main course stew - or taken out baked until almost inedible for the main course.  The liver was padded out with the onion to sweeten and the egg to bulk.  And so from a chicken you had matza ball soup. chopped liver and main chicken course.

If you are a French you will eat this scopped onto a buttered torn up piece of baguette and if you are from anywhere else it has to be a matzo. Or thickly cut toasted and over buttered sourdough.

Jeff 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jeff🙂.......my mom made that homemade chopped liver when I was growing up. The fat from the chicken

(shmaltz) is what makes the chopped liver so very delicious!

11 hours ago, clo said:

I've followed your posts about this. We bought a house a dozen years ago. Turns out it had had a chronic, long term ground water problem. And it got into the house and we had mold. AND we found out that when there's a particular event that caused the problem, insurance would cover. In our case insurance didn't cover it. We're over $20k in damage repair. 

Clo 

Yes important to know what your insurance will cover when u sign up for it. Also the deductible AND any exclusions or exemptions. Insurance policies are not easy to read because they are boring and full of doublespeak. 

We are at the moment prolly well above the 20k.

Unknown at the moment is coverage by the pricey insurance we bought.

Gradual and recurring water intrusion is generally not covered because the theory is the homeowner should have seen the telltale signs.

Or that it be discovered on inspection at time of purchase.

But the seller also has a responsibility to disclose defects!! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Clo     Yes important to know what your insurance will cover when u sign up for it. Also the deductible AND any exclusions or exemptions. Insurance policies are not easy to read because they are boring and full of doublespeak.   Unknown at the moment is coverage by the pricey insurance we bought.  Gradual and recurring water intrusion is generally not covered because the theory is the homeowner should have seen the telltale signs.  Or that it be discovered on inspection at time of purchase.   But the seller also has a responsibility to disclose defects!! 

Good luck to Spins with the big challenges, BOTH, for dealing with the insurance "fine-print" and the repair/re-build process.  Not easy or fun.  Nor, cheap!!

Have not had livers in a long, long time.  Don't see it offered much here in the Midwest.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

2081701238_ScreenShot2020-10-07at11_12_40PM.thumb.png.2acfdb441eb1079dbd0e91cc4fc2dc36.png

521559219_ScreenShot2020-10-07at11_12_58PM.thumb.png.b41e80484665e3e8c4b1c1291ee2d715.png