Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi friends, it has been a very long few days for me.  I have a health update.

I posted on Sunday, which was the day I was released from the hospital.  I have not posted over the last 4 days.

It ended up Sunday night (yes the same day I cam home)........well, Sunday night I woke up and had actually had

to call 911 again and was taken back to the hospital. I won't go into all the full details but to tell you, I was close

to being a goner........thankfully I was able to crawl to the phone and rescue came.   It was a scary episode and 

they kept me in the hospital (was released this afternoon).  I don't wish a bleeding ulcer on any of you........it is 

very dangerous. (I lost ALOT of blood in a short period of time). 

I hope all of you are doing ok................

• Like 2

Hi, thanks for the good thoughts. I feel better yes........have a pill to take twice a day that is supposed to keep

acid from forming which is what can cause the ulcer.  I was under the assumption that I would have been ok to

be released back on Sunday too.......nobody expected a 2nd episode....and to be honest, it was worse than the 

original.............if I had not been able to reach the phone.........

35 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Lois. So sorry to hear that you had a second episode.  I hope that your doctors will find a more permanent solution.  

Thanks so much. How is Bob?

31 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Lois. So sorry to hear that you had a second episode.  I hope that your doctors will find a more permanent solution.  

Hope Lois, that this second hospital visit does the "magic". Keep us posted and take care to recover well.  YES, hopefully we can hear a good update for Bob. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

An update on Bob.  He is doing extraordinarily well.  The staples were removed last Friday, and his incision is completely healed.  I believe he will have a minimal scar.  He is now walking two miles daily and hopes to get back to his 7 miles a day at 4 mph in a week or so.  He has regained some function in his right hand, certainly more than expected.  The surgeon doesn’t want him lifting more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks, and he is following that advice.  Of course that means I have to pick up the slack and mow the lawn, blow leaves and do all the fall maintenance!  We are so thankful that he came through this so well.  Thank you for all your concern.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

An update on Bob.  He is doing extraordinarily well.  The staples were removed last Friday, and his incision is completely healed.  I believe he will have a minimal scar.  He is now walking two miles daily and hopes to get back to his 7 miles a day at 4 mph in a week or so.  He has regained some function in his right hand, certainly more than expected.  The surgeon doesn’t want him lifting more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks, and he is following that advice.  Of course that means I have to pick up the slack and mow the lawn, blow leaves and do all the fall maintenance!  We are so thankful that he came through this so well.  Thank you for all your concern.

or you could pay someone with the money back from SS?😉

Edited by zqtchas
  • Haha 1

Happy to hear that Bob is recovering well.  Lois, I’m hoping that they have you well on the way too. 
One positive from our lockdown here in Victoria is the walking I have been doing every day. I’m much fitter than this time last year. 
I have been enjoying reading our blog and looking at our photos of holidays. This time 2 years ago we were  in Switzerland on our way to Venice for 4 weeks, and last year sailing from Broome to Cairns. Great memories. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

An update on Bob.  He is doing extraordinarily well.  The staples were removed last Friday, and his incision is completely healed.  I believe he will have a minimal scar.  He is now walking two miles daily and hopes to get back to his 7 miles a day at 4 mph in a week or so.  He has regained some function in his right hand, certainly more than expected.   Of course that means I have to pick up the slack and mow the lawn, blow leaves and do all the fall maintenance!  We are so thankful that he came through this so well.  Thank you for all your concern.

Great update and super positive news regarding Bob. It's been over two weeks since my kidney stone procedure, the trip east to Philadelphia, etc.  All seems well and very good.  Hopefully things continue to progress well for Lois.  

Below I have a couple of new "comedy voices" from the past.   First is cover boy Alfred E. Neuman, the "face" of Mad Magazine with its unique type of twisted humor.  Second is Paul Lynde, the center square from the TV show, Hollywood Squares.  Plus, being in many TV and movie roles.  Lynde, who grew up near us in Central Ohio, became famous for his unique responses when asked questions by host Peter Marshall.  Anyone remember those folks and their style of humor?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1068039749_ScreenShot2020-10-02at5_56_15PM.png.43b10259a32b3c43517cd0f826d2f80d.png

835917659_ScreenShot2020-10-02at5_56_37PM.thumb.png.d8cb5b6d016df68fd6b41a9668aa1d44.png

That killed my appetite, zqtchas. Good thing we already ate a few hours ago!

Today was chilly. We tried walking before dinner but it rained on us. So we headed home and opened some wine instead. Time for some Fall cooking. 

Dinner was fusilli pasta (farro based, not semolina) with roasted butternut squash, sausage, and lots of fresh sage. Roasted pecans for crunch. A favorite Fall recipe, delicious with Grenache. 

20201002_203015.thumb.jpg.9a789a6a46e883ce252a745d48f40df9.jpg

The secret to this recipe is that the sage leaves get fried in butter before adding them to the pasta at the last minute. So rich and tasty.

The farro pasta was a treat. It smelled rich and nutty, and had a bit more bite and color than plain old pasta. I really liked how it worked in this recipe. I will have to see if I can find more. I bought it a long time ago, pre-covid...

I've gone through maybe half of our sage in the past 2 weeks. I have to be careful though, because the plants have plenty of spider webs. Today I was washing the webs off carefully and found a live spider. I didn't add it to the pasta. Only so much protein one can take!

Happy weekend to all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1