Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

5 hours ago, Rocchi said:

Am keepin' ootayit.

Hi Rocchi!

Haven't seen you here in a while. Hope you are doing well. Only good memories of our 2017 cruise together. Remember looking at that classic car from Huaca Pucllana in Lima?

7 hours ago, Elginjock said:

As a Scot I speak English and it is very condescending to say Scottish sounds foreign.

Some regional accents in all home nations can be difficult to pick up.

No offense (offence) intended. It sounds foreign to my ear, which is used to American English. Doesn't mean that it is not English - just sounds different. And if you're not used to it, then it is honestly difficult to understand. "Foreign to" when used in this sense simply means that it sounds strange or different.

I deal with foreign accents all of the time. Many of my residents speak English as a second language. As an Anglophone who has tried and failed for over 30 years to achieve fluency in French, I have nothing but respect for those who can function bilingually (or more). So when I hear someone speaking English with an accent, I don't have a negative perception. Their second language is way better than mine.

And I don't have a negative perception of Scottish (or any other variant of English). It just sounds different. Just like I'm sure you'd think that my accent sounds different. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zqtchas said:

and not a foreign accent to be heard anywhere. 

"Is that good or  bad"?

Not saying if its good or not.  What I was saying that in certain tourist hot-spots the expected American, French, German, Chinese and Korean tourists seem to be totally absent. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Elginjock said:

As a Scot I speak English and it is very condescending to say Scottish sounds foreign.

Some regional accents in all home nations can be difficult to pick up.

I'm from the Shankill area of Belfast, God help me. We moved to West Yorkshire when I was a mere youth but living in Huddersfield with a strong Shankill accent immediately marked me out as strange, at the very least, or a terrorist at worst - the only time most people heard such an accent was from news reports from the Troubles. 

So my accent became pure West Riding as soon as my little brain could make it so. Even now I still have a Yorkshire accent, although quite mild. The thing is when I'm talking to my parents or family still in Ireland my OH tells me I start going all Shankill Road again. We lived in NE Scotland for 4 years and I went very "Och aye, the noo" and 18 months in Cardiff made me quite South Walian. 

I now find accents easy to mimic with the honourable exception of Liverpudlian (an omission for which I have no explanation). 

I think regional accents are rather wonderful. 

• Like 3

Thank you everyone I love listening to all accents and agree some are easy to understand than others. The point I was trying to make is not all Scottish accents are foreign.

Fletcher like all of the UK our economy is suffering from the lack of tourist money.

When we last visited Skye it was mobbed by Chinese and Korean visitors.My brother lives in St Andrews and they are missing the big spending Chinese and American golfers.

On the plus side lots of visitors from other parts of the UK.

• Like 1

I did bristle a bit on reading jp's 'foreign accent', I admit.  Some of our regional accents are very strong,  and some of the dialect (words used mainly in that area) can be a problem.  But ours are definitely the English language.  (Unless the Gaelic or Welsh or Cornish  of course).

I do dislike people with impenetrable accents in jobs where it is important that you understand them; on the phone to your bank or BT for instance.  Worst of all, in a medical situation; my brother and wife recently saw a Consultant re a possible cancer diagnosis, and although they are not deaf or stupid could not understand a word he said.  Upsetting and embarrassing.  Unlike him, my bro. actually put in a complaint about it.

It is funny how we Brits. seem to love some accents, like Geordie or Irish, and dislike others.  I am told I sound fairly 'neutral' , like many of the BBC newsreaders, but not as 'posh' as Prince Charles (I hope).

• Like 3

Elginjock,

Sorry you take offence to a bit of light hearted banter that was not my intention, but I and many others really do notice and sometimes have difficulties understanding a broad Scottish accent.  I find the Northern Ireland accent to be quite strong also and please I apologise in advance if any offence has been taken from that comment.

attached is a link to a clip from a very funny Scottish comedy duo with a funny take on voice recognition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

Edited by Reef Knot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry Reef Knot I read your comment after watching some Sports News where England dominated the coverage and hardly a mention of Scotland and Wales.

Lincslady totally agree with you the last time I called BA about cancelling a flight I got someone with a strong accent and all I will say is it was not a British accent and I had huge problems understanding them.

Apologies for me being over sensitive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elginjock said:

Sorry Reef Knot I read your comment after watching some Sports News where England dominated the coverage and hardly a mention of Scotland and Wales.

Lincslady totally agree with you the last time I called BA about cancelling a flight I got someone with a strong accent and all I will say is it was not a British accent and I had huge problems understanding them.

Apologies for me being over sensitive.

Have to agree with you there Elginjock. Sports coverage in UK is pretty biased toward any English team. 

Good luck for Friday night, get the win and they won't be able to ignore Scotland. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have discussed accents, all different, and my personal favorite is the British accent.

This is for the ladies, and the gents can chime in too. Which one are you?

California Girls by the Beach Boys:

Well east coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the southern girls, with the way they talk
They knock me out when I'm down there
The mid-west farmer's daughters
Really make you feel alright
And the northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night
I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California
I wish they all could be California girls
The west coast has the sunshine
And the girls all get so tanned
I dig a French bikini on Hawaiian island
Dolls by a palm tree in the sand
I been all around this great big world
And I've seen all kind of girls
Yeah, but I couldn't wait to get back in the states
Back to the cutest girls in the world
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

From one can of worms to the next... For me, it's the Ukraine girls who really knock me out. Of course.

JP,                                                             Ukraine are currently playing North Macedonia  in their 2nd game if the Euro 21 tournament. For the moment they are leading 2-1 . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

From one can of worms to the next... For me, it's the Ukraine girls who really knock me out. Of course.

I grew up drinking Pop, not soda, wore tennis shoes not sneakers. The gross one is that I liked Miracle Whip and not mayonnaise and still do to this day. Don't gag, please.

Guess which part of the USA I came from? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I grew up drinking Pop, not soda, wore tennis shoes not sneakers. The gross one is that I liked Miracle Whip and not mayonnaise and still do to this day. Don't gag, please.

Guess which part of the USA I came from? 

The south..

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

The south..

Michigan. 

However, I have lived in the South (Florida) Northeast( NY state) Northwest (WA state) and now the West(CO), and Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) Born and raised in Michigan for 30 years.

Just never became a CA girl 😉

7 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Michigan. 

However, I have lived in the South (Florida) Northeast( NY state) Northwest (WA state) and now the West(CO), and Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) Born and raised in Michigan for 30 years.

Just never became a CA girl 😉

I didn't know Miracle Whip was big in Michigan......I do know Mayo is big down here. 

32 minutes ago, rervousneck said:

In the South we drink "coke". Everything is a coke. 7up is a coke.  Orange is a coke. Pepsi is a coke. Coca Cola is a coke.

I don't know what age bracket you are in but many years ago there was Royal Crown and that was VERY southern......Royal Crown Cola and Moon Pies.......those were southern "snacks" LOL.